Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,
I was wondering if anyone of you could help explaining to me about how go around hooking up the V-Amp 2 to the pc using a MIDI in/out cable to the game port of the PC.I did that and when I opened up the editor...This is what the message said........

"if you connect a device with its MIDI Thru function active,it cannot respond to scanning"

As you ought to know ,I am a true dummy when it comes to this.......any help would be greatly appreciated because I hope to obtain some nice patches in it.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
It's not you Khaos. I had the same problem. VHFan showed me the errors of my ways by showing that the friggin' game port "don't do shit..." for midi and the VAmp. You need a special MIDI cable and go through USB. We tried several configurations through the game port. No dice. But the USB worked on the first try. Look at this:
http://devicebaystuff.com/edirol/edium1x.html
That's like what I had to get, with the little translator box in the middle. I got mine for $30 from VHFan (The dude should be selling cars!), but he can tell you where you can pick one up. Shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have my V-Amp2 hooked through the game port on my PC, running WinXP... no problems.
I *did* have the same problem initially, and unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly how I solved it -I forgot! But I remember going to the BIOS on startup and changing some midi port setting there... I think.
The bottomline is that it's common to have that problem, but it can be solved. I'm sorry I didn't write down what I changed exactly, but I remember it seemed obvious... once I had it in front of me, as I am no computer expert whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
There might be a way to get that gameport MIDI working, but I could never figure it out. I have never seen any MIDI controls in the bios settings on my PC. Unless someone can tell you exactly where the problem lies....save yourself the headache and go USB to MIDI.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
VHfanOU812 said:
There might be a way to get that gameport MIDI working, but I could never figure it out. I have never seen any MIDI controls in the bios settings on my PC. Unless someone can tell you exactly where the problem lies....save yourself the headache and go USB to MIDI.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I'll do just that.......thanks guys ......

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks PG.....that will be something I'll be considering too......

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I hada similar problem with my fx unit. I plugged in the midi cables as they were marked. ie "midi in" to the in socket and "midi-out" to the out socket. I switched them and it worked. Apparently this is quite a common problem. I don't know if it will work for the V-amp but it definately works for Boss/roland gear.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Peeps.......I got this in my e-mail today.......

Q:I have connected my V-Amp to my computer via MIDI, but the V-Amp isn’t even recognized by the V-Amp Design software. What am I doing wrong?

Ans:There are a number of things to pay attention to:

- Both MIDI-in AND MIDI-out must be connected since the V-Amp requires a two-way connection in order to talk to the software editor.

- The computer's MIDI-out goes into the V-Amp’s MIDI-in and vice versa – quite a few people connect MIDI-in to MIDI-in, which will not work.

- MIDI-Thru must be disabled on the V-Amp. (Press "Bank Up" and "Bank down" to go into edit mode, press "A" to edit the midi configuration, the LED on the "TAP" button must not be on - if it is, press the the "TAP" button once. Press "Exit".)

- Make sure that "V-Amp Design" is set to the same Midi channel as your V-Amp (Press "Bank Up" and "Bank down" to go into edit mode, press "A" to edit the midi configuration. The number in the display is the midi channel, which can be changed with the "Bank Up/Down" buttons. Press "Exit".)

- Make sure that you have proper midi drivers installed for your soundcard/midi-interface. If you use an on-board soundcard, make sure its MIDI-port is enabled in the Bios.

Even if you pay attention to all of the above, there may still be problems. Some people have been told (apparently by Behringer) that V-Amp Design does not work with Windows XP, so that may be part of the problem, although others have reported that they use this combination successfully.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
A lot of good points there Khaos...let us know if you get that thing working with the game port MIDI...because many have had that same issue. I would try the bios one first.

The V-amp editor software works fine with XP...save yourself a lot of time...put it on B2 and disconnect all the cables.

Before I sold my V-amp2 last week...I made a patch for my new Line 6 Vetta and called it "EJ" where I spend 2 hours duplicating that B2 setting......I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

I hear the V-amp 3 is coming out next week.

Got ya on that one.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good one there bro.......I think i'll stick to USB anyway.......life would be much simpler that way....

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VHfanOU812 said:
Before I sold my V-amp2 last week...I made a patch for my new Line 6 Vetta and called it "EJ" where I spend 2 hours duplicating that B2 setting......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, I think that was a compliment... Thanks?

·
Registered
515 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Khaos said:
Ok Peeps.......I got this in my e-mail today.......

- Make sure that you have proper midi drivers installed for your soundcard/midi-interface. If you use an on-board soundcard, make sure its MIDI-port is enabled in the Bios.

Even if you pay attention to all of the above, there may still be problems. Some people have been told (apparently by Behringer) that V-Amp Design does not work with Windows XP, so that may be part of the problem, although others have reported that they use this combination successfully.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you that V-Amp Design software can work perfectly in WinXP. Because I use it all the time. When initially it didn't, it was for the reason outlined above: in my BIOS settings the midi port appeared as disabled. I enabled it and away I went. No more problems. I hope yours is the same easily-solved problem!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Midi and Vamp

Good place to find midi to usb is on Ebay. I just scored a Midisport 1x1 uno for $38.00.That is with shiping. Now for a question that I have, what program do I need from behringer to run the vamp editing?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
djicestorm24 said:
Good place to find midi to usb is on Ebay. I just scored a Midisport 1x1 uno for $38.00.That is with shiping. Now for a question that I have, what program do I need from behringer to run the vamp editing?
There are 2 versions of the V-amp editor software....both free on the behringer website.

·
Registered
174 Posts
VHfanOU812 said:
There are 2 versions of the V-amp editor software....both free on the behringer website.

Thank you very much VHfan..

·
Registered
174 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts