Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i am using a v-amp2 live and love it. i set up rhythm and lead patches and switch between them via the footswitch. i was thinking of getting v-amp pro to use live and use the v-amp2 for practice. the problem? how do you switch patches on a pro? there is no footswitch connection. i assume i have to buy a midi controller? is there a cheap one that will let me change patches like the vamp2 does. i don't want the expression pedals etc just a way to switch from lead to rhythm patches on the fly. any ideas?

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
You need to buy a midi pedalboard , any will do depending on how much control you want . I use a ART X15 got it s/hand for £40 , it does everything on my Behringer , wah , vol , the list is endless , Check out Nobles midi units , i think there pretty cheap .

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks blues. i'm glad to know that most midi pedals will work. i think i will try and find the pedal first and then get a pro. actually i'm pretty happy using the v-amp2 but it would be nice to have one that can be rackmounted. that is my only beef with the v-amp2 is that it is kind of hard to find a place on stage to put it and there are wires sticking out everywhere. one in a rack would be a lot simpler for live. ebay here i come

·
Registered
7 Posts
When using the midi pedal is there any kind of problems, such as a slight delay when you switch between patches? I'm interested in using my V Amp Pro in a live band situation but was afraid of this so called problem that I thought I read about somewhere. Right now I'm using a Boss GT-3 and notice a very slight delay when switching between certain patches sometimes. Really want to switch over to the V Amp pro but not if it's gonna cause more problems. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well after looking for a midi pedal and pricing a good used one i went and bought another v-amp2 instead and made an a-b switch. now i set up one with all my rhythm patches and one with all my lead patches and use the a-b switch to switch v-amps. boy does it work great. no delay and i can use totaly different configuration patches and it works flawless. this way i also have a backup should one of the v-amps fail. now to figure out how to build something to hold 2 vamps in a sort of rack. it looks like an octopus now. any ideas?

·
mmmmm.............Beer!!!
695 Posts
prsdeb said:
When using the midi pedal is there any kind of problems, such as a slight delay when you switch between patches? I'm interested in using my V Amp Pro in a live band situation but was afraid of this so called problem that I thought I read about somewhere. Right now I'm using a Boss GT-3 and notice a very slight delay when switching between certain patches sometimes. Really want to switch over to the V Amp pro but not if it's gonna cause more problems. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
The V-Amp Pro is fine if you stick to the same amp model. If you switch between patches that use different models, then there is a slight delay. However, the V-Amp Pro is so versatile that you can easily use the same amp model for all your sounds. For example, even turning the gain right down on the dual rectifier model gives a nice clean tone, so there are ways and means of getting round the problem.

G

·
switch

The key with the Vamp Pro seems to be that you make your MIDI pedal turn off distortion and effects thru the change code operational mode. It is my understanding that its not the goal of the Vamp Pro/Vamp-2 to be able to switch patches as you would channels. Rather, you have a patch (like Plexi Marshall) that you can CC a distortion pedal in/out, FX in/out, and any other MIDI controlled CC function (like a variable controlled pedal). This happens in real-time and mimicks how a real amp works (gain in/out, FX in/out).

What I do is have an amp model for a particular song and have CC codes hooked to a pedal to add gain, pedal, or pre-set effects (like chorus/flange/AutoWah). Thats as good as it gets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.