Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Behringer DI Ultra G100 that I just bought and was thinking about returning and getting a V-Amp Pro instead. But before I do I have a few questions that I'd like to have answered.

1) Does the V-Amp Pro (rack edition) need a DI box when recording direct?

2) Can I connect another preamp to the V-Amp Pro just to use the cabinet simulator of the V-Amp? I like some of the sounds I'm getting on my old Digitech unit but I need a good cabinet simulator when recording direct. That's actual why I bought the Behringer DI box. But if the V-Amp can do everything the Behringer DI Ultra G100 can then I'd like to upgrade to the V-Amp.

3) Can the V-Amp Pro sound anything like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head? I know it's not ever going to sound exactly alike, but I would like something close to it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Mag2000 said:
I have a Behringer DI Ultra G100 that I just bought and was thinking about returning and getting a V-Amp Pro instead. But before I do I have a few questions that I'd like to have answered.

1) Does the V-Amp Pro (rack edition) need a DI box when recording direct?
No....you can run it right into a sound card, use the XLR outs to a preamp or soundcard that has them, or run digital SPDIF outputs.

Mag2000 said:
2) Can I connect another preamp to the V-Amp Pro just to use the cabinet simulator of the V-Amp? I like some of the sounds I'm getting on my old Digitech unit but I need a good cabinet simulator when recording direct. That's actual why I bought the Behringer DI box. But if the V-Amp can do everything the Behringer DI Ultra G100 can then I'd like to upgrade to the V-Amp.
Yes but I'll bet you will not want to after you try it.

Mag2000 said:
3) Can the V-Amp Pro sound anything like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head? I know it's not ever going to sound exactly alike, but I would like something close to it.
It has that head on it.....as you stated it will not sound exactly like it.

Overall the V-amp Pro is the best $140 you will ever spend. It does not have as many options as a PODXT, but you can get a lot of really great sounds out of it. I loved mine, but sold it to Sucka when I needed some cash to buy a Vetta. He loves it also....I think.....but what he does with it in the middle of the night is none of my business.:toothless

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found this on another forum: http://www.metalmethod.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001757.html

In the post SurfMonster talks about hooking up a SamsAmp up to a V-Amp so it looks like its possible to connect the two together. But like you said, I may not want to after hearing the V-Amp.

I also noticed them talking about the ULTRA G cabinet simulator built into the V-Amp and that the tech was aquired from another Behringer product. Well that must be the unit I just bought since its called the Behringer Ultra G-G100 DI. It works the same way as well were you have to use the XLR ports which is a problem for me because my Maya 44 MKII sound card only has 1/4" jacks on it. Also if I plug my guitar directly into this sound card from my preamp, I only hear audio on the left side. Would you know if a digital SPDIF connector, or what ever that is, will solve this problem? I somehow need a mono to stereo adaptor but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You can only use the SPDIF digital out if your sound card has that input...and most do not unless you paid a lot of $$ for it. Otherwise you simply take the stereo headphone jack output from teh V-amp and run it to the soundcard's line in which is also stereo and you are set for both channels. All it takes is a trip to radio Shack for some adaptors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.