Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys going to see Vai this year?

I'm going to get my tickets today during my lunch break for the 3/28 show in Philly. I've never seen Vai live before, so I really don't even know what to expect. I have seen Eric Sardinas before though, and he'll be opening for Steve. Had a chance to meet and chat with Eric before, so I hope I get the same chance again. Might even ask him if he'd like to stop by over here and chat with us.

Anywho, have any of you guys seen Vai before? And what's the experience like?

Here are some pics from Steve's show on 3-1-05

http://members.cox.net/vai777/photo/vai.htm

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
im going on the 28th i think in Westbury, NY......dont know what to expect...last time i saw him in concert was with David Lee Roth BAND (Skyscraper)....so i expect to be surprised and you should too...i am expecting him to pull some old ones out of the hat because a thread has been startrd at the Vai website for requests......those fans Steve is using really gives him that freaky guitarist look..lol

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
The last time I saw Vai was on the Ultra Zone tour I think and was blown away. The time before that was the Sex and Religion tour which he will never top IMO. That show was unbelievable!!!!

I just anxious to see him again. I'm going to the April 13th ? show in Chicago. I'm pysched about seeing the whole band really. Been listening to Dave Weiner's album and am picking up some McAlpine soon. Cant forget Sheehan

Jeff

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hope he drops by the U.K, i'd give anything to see a full Vai show, i seen G3 last year and his set was unbeleivable seeing him have the stage to himself for a full 2-3 hours would just be devine.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see any U.K. dates yet, but I hope he stops over there so you guys get to see him this time out.

I just got my tickets a few minutes ago. 24 bucks a pop..ya can't beat that. Also picked up the new cd and I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing. Steve is a flat out genius.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm sure i seen Mikey at vai.com mention that they would announce U.K/Europe tour dates later on, once the U.S part of the tour is underway

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sucka, I've seen Vai before and you won't be let down at all! I was actually at the G3 Live in Denver show, and Vai was easily the best out of all 3. He had great lights, an AWESOME band, and the sound was equally as good. Seeing Vai in person is nuts because, it's really "weird" seeing somebody that good right in front of you! You'll have a good time! :icon_thum

·
Registered
425 Posts
Has anybody heard if they're gonna film a show for DVD from this tour?>

·
Registered
198 Posts
Let it be in Buffalo then. :D

·
Metal head
822 Posts
April 1st at Metropolis , Montreal...i'll be there, i got the tickets as a birthday gift...is not only watching him, is an all star game: Sheehan and MacAlpine will be there...and those are monsters too, though a bit more understated....i can't wait to see them all jamming together...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm familiar with Billy, but I'm not too familiar with Tony, so I'm really interested to hear him play. From the reviews I've read so far, his sound has been really buried in the mix. I guess they're still figuring things out since it's very early in the tour, but I hope the sound is better then what's been indicated so far by time I see them. I know it should be a lot of fun, and for 24 bucks ya just can't beat it.

·
Metal head
822 Posts
Sucka, it's true that Tony's sounds gets a bit understated ,so, maybe to really appreciate him you'll have to get some of his solo work....for some fans , his "Maximun Security" album is MacAlpine at his best. He is no only a great guitarplayer -Vai admires him very much, and says so- he is also a hell of a great classical piano player (listen to his etude at the Maximun Security album), and keyboardist....His classical music education brings a diff flavor to what he does.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sister_Wrath said:
Sucka, it's true that Tony's sounds gets a bit understated ,so, maybe to really appreciate him you'll have to get some of his solo work....for some fans , his "Maximun Security" album is MacAlpine at his best. He is no only a great guitarplayer -Vai admires him very much, and says so- he is also a hell of a great classical piano player (listen to his etude at the Maximun Security album), and keyboardist....His classical music education brings a diff flavor to what he does.
Ok I'm gonna check that one out for sure. I'm really gettin antsy now after reading more reviews at Vai.com. Looks like I might need some ear plugs too cause these guys are playing LOUD.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the Buffalo one is positioned well. He has a day to rest before so he probably won't be as tired as some of the shows he's doing. And plus its practically right in the middle of the tour, so hopefully most of the kinks are worked out.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tonight is the big night. First time I get to see Vai large and in charge. Should be a TON of fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
June 2nd in Groningen(Holland) with the Metropole Orchestra, first Vai concert I'm going to so I don't really know what to expect but it's always nice to see a great guitarist play.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It was my first time seeing Steve last night, and all I can say is WOW!
After watching him rip the shit out of his guitars for 2.5 hours, I basically told myself I'll never pick up my guitar again. I think I'm gonna start playing oboe! lol

Steve made a ton of mistakes last night which I really wasn't expecting. Alot of it was equipment, and some of it was just human error. Truthfully I kinda liked that. It's the reason I'm such a big Eddie VH fan because there's that human element behind his playing. You don't get that too much with Steve because everything seems so technically. So when he missed a note or two, or a lick I just laughed with him because he was really spectacular all night.

It was great hearing songs like The Reaper, Answers, FTLOG, and a jam with Eric Sardinas on My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama. It was like shred heaven! It's too bad the acoustics in the joint sucked so bad, and standing for the whole time that we did really killed my legs. All in all though it was a great time, and the next time Steve hits Philly I'll be there for sure.

And don't even get me started on The Breed. These guys are four of the most phenomanal musicians I've ever seen. Only wished that Tony played more guitar then he did because the man can RIP! And Billy Sheehan is the best damn bass player I've ever seen. I'm not all for his bass tone sometimes because it sounds like someone farting thru an amp, but last night he was awesome. Just great stage presence. To me it's like Steve was meant to be a musician, and Billy was meant to be a rock star. I just couldn't take my eyes off the guy. Billy rocks!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad you had a great time Sucka, great pics. Tony can flat out wail. He and Vai are avid Carvin endorsee's as well. The blue guitar Tony was playing is his signature model. He has both 6 and 7 versions. He and Vai play through The Legacy amp. It kills for tone.
:rock::rock::rock:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts