Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know the settings Vai uses for his Ds-1? im trying to get a kinda Vaish tone these days

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no-one can help me with this....... ?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I think it only really plays a minor role in steves setup on the astoria video it looks like he's using many other things and clicks it on when he wants just that little bit more distortion ...

i may be wrong the 3 vais of the board might know better than i :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your probablly right man... i guess im just looking for a good tone out of it..... im gonna buy a OD-3 aswell i think the overdrive would compliment it, distortion through clean alone isn't very "full" can anyone give me any pointers on this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mg100DFX Marshall Combo

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
ok cool !

well from what i remember it's a 2 channel amp .. so you can prolly get some nicer results if you just put your amp on the crunch channel .. with just a slight ammount of distortion very slight .. then put your boss DS-1 over the top of that with a fair bit of bass and mids in the mix there .. obviously i can't give you exact setting so just fiddle with that ..you'll find that steve along with alot of other players don't use as much distortion as people think so be careful not to over do it

hope that helps out :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah its just i wanna get a good sound from clean so i can have the same sound when i play in college through the different amps :/ obviously it wont be exact all the time but a foundation for a sound, and as for distortion i aint a fan of it i preffer warm overdrive with a little bit of crunch to it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stiglar said:
ok cool !

well from what i remember it's a 2 channel amp .. so you can prolly get some nicer results if you just put your amp on the crunch channel .. with just a slight ammount of distortion very slight .. then put your boss DS-1 over the top of that with a fair bit of bass and mids in the mix there .. obviously i can't give you exact setting so just fiddle with that ..you'll find that steve along with alot of other players don't use as much distortion as people think so be careful not to over do it

hope that helps out :)

Your dead on, most professionals don't use that much distortion. If I recall EVH only put the amp on about 3 maybe 4. As for the Vai question Vai uses the ds-1 mostly as a booster. He uses the distorted channel on the amp and the pedal to boost mainly for solos and such.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
prosbloom225 said:
Your dead on, most professionals don't use that much distortion. If I recall EVH only put the amp on about 3 maybe 4. As for the Vai question Vai uses the ds-1 mostly as a booster. He uses the distorted channel on the amp and the pedal to boost mainly for solos and such.
AC/DC use hardly any distortion either. Alot of players (like myself) use excessive distortion to hide sloppy playing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
mab8485 said:
AC/DC use hardly any distortion either. Alot of players (like myself) use excessive distortion to hide sloppy playing.

I love my effects, covers up my mistakes :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When you can make something sound good on a clean channel with no reverb you know you're gonna rip with distortion. I sound horrible through the clean channel :lol: I think i read in a Randy Rhoads interview once that he used to do most of his practising through the clean channel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I allways try practice Clean, if not clean then no reverb i only use Reverb for band rehearsal never practice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts