Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a negative review recently and many fans have jumped on the Eddie bashing band wagon. In fairness, I have found this fan review by a guy who I believe has expressed a faily balanced opinion. I have edited his thoughts about the 5 star experince for space and left his impressions on the show and in particuluar Eddies performance on stage.

Read and compare.
Peace

Just got back home in North Carolina late last night (Monday) from Fargo, North Dakota. We witnessed Van Halen at the Fargodome on October 23rd and wanted to let you know how things went. We’re spoiled weather-wise living in North Carolina, and the blast of winter weather up there took some getting used to (I know, we’re wimps). It actually snowed in Fargo as we were leaving the auditorium, walking back to our hotel.

We were all seated in the front row, which was fantastic! My wife and I were just off center on Eddie’s side. We missed all, but one song by the opening group, so can’t really judge their performance. There were only around 5000 people there, which we were afraid would affect the enthusiasm of the band and crowd. When the lights went down, and Eddie started playing offstage, the crowd started getting cranked-up. But when the lights came up and the band hit the stage, the small crowd went absolutely wild, sounding twice their size! The band obviously felt the energy and really started getting into it, like they were playing one of their first shows instead of one of the last of the tour. All four interacted well with the audience, as well as each other. They were laughing and goofing on each other throughout the entire show, and there was no hint of even the slightest animosity toward one another. Sammy’s voice was clear and flawless, which we were glad to hear as there was a rumor floating around that he had a sore throat the night before. He was signing everything in sight, and my wife got him to autograph a CD cover. Mike and Alex were on, as usual, and sounded great. Set list was same as always, with the exception of Ed’s solo.
He started out as usual, just messing around for about 10 minutes, trying all kinds of different harmonies and other stuff. But then, suddenly, someone in the crowd started chanted, “Edd-ie,” “Edd-ie.” He was looking down, concentrating on what he was doing, as the chant was eventually picked-up by the whole auditorium. All of a sudden he stopped, glanced up, then buried his face in his hands and just stood like that for about 10-15 seconds. When he looked up, we were close enough to see the tears streaming down his face! He was really crying, sobbing, visibly touched. He walked back to the drum riser, wiping his eyes as he went, picked-up his Gatorade bottle and took a long drink. After taking a moment to compose himself, wiping his eyes with a rag, he then walked back to the microphone and said, “Usually, only my son can make me cry, but you guys made me cry tonight! Thank you.” After composing himself another minute or so he started-back-up playing again and really started jamming! I’ve heard several bootlegs from this tour, and none of the other solos hold a candle to this one, especially after his brief emotional breakdown. He was completely concentrating on what he was doing, and it was truly amazing! His fingers were on fire he was playing so fast. His entire solo lasted 27 ½ minutes!
Like most of you, I’ve read reviews from other shows where Eddie was described as being sloppy, fall-down drunk throughout the show, but I just didn’t see that in Fargo. He did occasionally play things a little differently in concert then one hears on the studio albums, but I don’t believe it was missing notes, but rather freshening-up or adding something different to some of the old favorites. At those rare times when he did miss a note, he would grimace and smile at the crowd, and make some comment, but that wasn’t often. My philosophy is that if I wanted to hear everything sound exactly like the studio album, why not just stay home and listen to the album! He did a phenomenal job, truly proving himself the greatest, most innovative guitar player ever! His energy level during the entire 2 ½ hour show was unbelievable!
There was a scary moment. At the very end of the show following “When It’s Love,” and everyone was taking their final bows, Eddie was trying to give a pick to a certain girl in the crowd. In trying to jump down off the stage, his foot caught on the edge, and he fell facedown to the floor. You could hear him hit the floor it was so loud! The entire auditorium gasped and went quiet. Alex, Sam & Mike, along with bouncers, techs, etc. ran to the edge of the stage with worried looks on their faces. But, after a few seconds, Ed was pulled to his feet, pulled himself back up on stage, and took his final bow before running offstage. I could see one big scrape running down his left side (ribcage area), but couldn’t tell much else. Hope he’s okay. Haven’t heard any follow-up on this.
Overall, we would rate the ILAA 5-star package a “C-” given what we got for the money, but Van Halen definitely gets an “A+” for a phenomenal show! My wife wasn’t a big Van Halen fan before the concert, but she absolutely loved this show! We are so glad we got to see them, especially if this is their last tour for awhile!

If you haven’t seen them yet, go!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
dude....you're summary is quite eerily exaxctly like mine. I was in the front row as well. I was the motherfucker in the purple pimp outfit!

·
Registered
472 Posts
soooo...maybe he's trying???? (insert prayer here)

I saw them in Worcester, Ma. and I have to say that they weren't that phenominal, but I attribute some of that to the sound mix. It's good to read a good review, it gives me hope for a new CD and tour.

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW - for the record. I was the one who started pounding the barrier yeling "EDDIE,EDDIE,EDDIE". I don't know if I feel good about being the one who started it, or to feel bad cause he seemed lost and needed the distraction. I was saying stuff everytime it got quiet(I know he heard me too). I was saying shit like "I hear ya Motherfucker!" - "Talk to me!" etc....
On a cool note: Sammy wore my Purple pimp hat for a little while and singed it. Sphill - you get pictures?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there Mar. Couldn't make the show..
From my loc: you will see Sydney AUSTRALIA is along way south of Fargo. I would love to have the pics, I would love to be in back seat with bleeding nose! Great review and I'm glad you got into the show man...Rock on!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My bad Sphill. I re-read your post and now realize it was someone elses review. Can you tell me where you got it. I'm trying to hunt down some pics of Sammy wearing my hat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.