Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your personal opinion, what do you think makes the Van Halen concert experience so special?

For me it was just the overall atmosphere that went along with the day of the show. I'll take the Atlantic City show from the '04 tour for example. That show was my third of the tour, and you would figure that I wouldn't have been so excited to go hear the same setlist all over again, but that wasn't the case.

I could hardly sleep the night before as I layed in my bed thinking about flying Eddies, cold beer, hot chicks, meeting ppl from the Links and G101, and everything else that was about to come to me the day before. I felt like it was Christmas in September when the day finally came and VH hit the stage. From the first note to the ending
na-na's of When It's Love, I stood in awe and amazment of what I had just been apart of. It wasn't just a rock concert, it was like a life altering experience. I can't even really describe how great it felt to be a Van Halen fan again, and see Ed healthy and happy. It was just unreal, and hopefully I'll get to experience that again sometime soon.

How bout you?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can say all of the above, but I would add the following...

In Oz there is not a huge fan base. If you meet a Van Halen fan you hold onto them and not let go. I have meet a few through links, strungout and guitars101. So when the band tour again it will be easy for all of us to hook up and party on. But in 1998 when they were last here the aussie van halen net community was almost no existent so it was meet people on the day/night and go from there. For me the best part was waiting behind the arena at the entrance. Then the vans pull up, the band get out and wave. OR if you are a clever bastard, you find where they are staying, stake out the hotel and wait for a miracle. That is another story...

Nice thread Sucka, lets hope we both can share the next tour's show. Philly and Sydney 2005.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amen to that dude!:icon_thum

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just remembered a funny moment from the 6-16-04 show, which was my first VH show.

Me and a few fellow linkers were standing out in the lot tailgating, in the pouring down rain by the way! Here I am nursing a bad cold, but I'm downing beers, and talkin shit with the guys outside. Well there were these two chicks from some company that were walkin around trying to sign people up for some "free stuff" like a vacation and other stuff. Well as I said it was pouring down rain, and these two beauties were walkin round with white shirts on. :woot:
We called them over to see what they were sellin, not that any of us gave a shit. We took as much of their time as we could as we stood there gazing at those four, lucious, round,.........well you know. :thumb:

·
Registered
241 Posts
My first (and only) VH Concert was in Atlanta in '98 on the III tour. Admittedly, I wasn't a big Gary fan as I had seen Extreme open for Ratt back in '87. His dancing and stuff just wasn't my thing..But I was definitely glad to see VH live and hear all my favorite tunes from way back...

Kenny Wayne Shepard opened and did his best considering it was a very pro-VH crowd and everyone was itching to hear and see the kings of rock take the stage. The concert was at the Lakewood Amphitheater so the aroma was hmmm..Very much "Aromatic"..This big, burly, Chris Farley looking dude was standing behind us and was wearing an Ozzy t-shirt with a picture of a headless dove on the back and was vocally protesting Gary's presence in the band. An hour or so later, after the buzz started to assume control, he was standing in a circle of people, all with their arms around each other swaying back-and-forth singing along to "When It's Love"..It was an awesome show and the band sounded great. Not much interaction with the crowd, just straight forward rock and roll...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LMAO! That's awesome. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the fact that i was going to see van halen was just enough for me. I remeber when i bought my tickets (25 bucks a piece) i met my friend when he was working to show him that we were going.

I went to the July 1st show at Verizon Wireless Apitheater in Indianapolis. Me and my buddy thought the gates opened at like 3 so we were the absolute first people there. No one else. Unfortunatly we couldnt stay cause of legal reasons or whatever. Funny thing, we saw silvertide play (i would recomend taking a listen to them if you havent, good band). and my friend and i were waiting patiently for the band to take the stage, We were looking at eddie's amps through his binoculars. Between songs playing through the radio there was some feedback, we thought it was the band so me and him jumped up and started yellilng, of course we were dissapointed when it went back into the cd player. But when the opening riff for jump kicked on............there was nothing like it. I had grown up listening to van halen. Everything at the show rocked, from my amazement at them playing humans being to me freaking out when i started hearing Alex playing the intro to panama.

But the best thing of the concert.......Eddie.....no doubt. The 15 minute guitar solo was worth the money, shit, i would have paid triple it to see him play atleast. It was the best. Exspecially when he was getting ready to kick into cathedral, he came up to the micraphone and said " i dont know what the fuck im doing". It was comedy.

The video for right now was really good. This may sound dumb but it kinda got me choked up a lil bit. A few of my family memebers are firefighters and some of the stuff they had on the video kinda hit home a bit. Was good stuff. and luckily sammy didnt go way over board on the fan interaction.

The only thing i was majorly dissapointed in was Mikey's solo. All he did was beat on his bass and get feedback. I was hoping for a kick ass solo like on RHRN or LWAN. But oh well.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Seeing 'em in 1978 was just something else because NOBODY was making this kinda noise back then-especially on the guitar. Because they weren't from the UK we had to wait for their return and, besides the VHII tour of 1980, itwas another 4 years before they came back. They gave us a pretty lacklustre performance at Donington to be honest but by this time, we didn't care because we were just so stoked up to see them back in the UK! This was all Dave era of course and I don't wanna get into that arguement! It was just an event when they turned up and brought a slice of Cali with them...:rock:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to sound like a geek, but if anyone has the "Rockin My Hometown" boot (Costa Mesa 93), what Sammy says during the intro for Free World really sums it up for me. I'll paraphrase: "You need something for two hours or however long we been up here where nobody f's with ya, you don't worry about your old man or your wife or your kids or paying bills, you don't worry about nothing. You just come out, let it go and keep on rockin in the free world."

Thats what VH does for me. Its 2 hours where I don't worry about anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts