Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RAPID CITY -- The rock group Van Halen is old school rock ‘n' roll that remains as popular today as it was 25 years ago. The band proved why Saturday evening at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center during the 75th concert of its 2004 tour.

The audience was mostly filled with 40-somethings, but there also were plenty of members of a new generation of Van Halen fans.
Jeff Anderson, 42, of Hill City and his 12-year-old son Joe wore new Van Halen T-shirts. Although it will take years for Joe to fill out his new adult-size shirt, his father's taste in music has already grown o­n him.

"His mom likes country music," Jeff said to Joe's reaction of "blah." Joe said he has always been a big rock fan. "I've had AC/DC from the womb," he proudly admitted. "David Lee Roth is definitely better," Joe said. "I didn't come here to see Van Hagar. I am here to see Eddie and Alex." His father shared his son's sentiment.

"I tolerate Sammy," Jeff said. "I remember playing ‘Jamie's Crying' o­n the 8-track in my '69 Chevelle. It was their first album and their best album," he said.

Jim Sheah, 47, of Rapid City and his son Zach, 16, also paired up for the concert. "I've been a Van Halen fan for about six months," Zach said. "I hear them o­n the classic rock stations." Jim said he has been a fan for more than 20 years. "Since probably right after I got out of college in the early ‘80s," he said. The father and son also said they preferred David Lee Roth and were there mostly for the guitar playing.

After the band took to the stage, though, audience members didn't seem to care which frontman was singing. The band burst o­nto the stage about 8:30 p.m. with their signature hit "Jump." Sammy Hagar, dressed in a red T-shirt and red cut-off pants, wore a knit cap and sun glasses. His curly blond hairwas restrained in a pony tail, which he later shed to reveal his wild locks. A shirtless Eddie Van Halen ran out playing the guitar with a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. Michael Anthony played his guitar and sang some vocals. Sammy, Michael and Eddie moved around the stage throughout the entire concert. Alex Van Halen, who was also shirtless, remained behind the drums for most of the concert. o­n-stage video cameras projected images o­n a large screen behind the stage.

Musical performances were a compilation of the old stuff and the new stuff, with songs such as "Right Now," "Up For Breakfast," "It's About Time" "Why Can't This Be Love" and "Ain't Talking About Love."

Each of the four musicians had their moments to rock. Michael Anthony played bass o­n a Jack Daniel's bottle-shaped guitar. Alex Van Halen shook the house with his extended drum solo. Joe Anderson ditched his floor seat and his father for a closer look from the stairs o­n the side. His fists punched at the ceiling with the rest of the crowd's to the beat of the drumming.

Hagar's solo included playing guitar and his "I Can't Drive 55."

For those who were there to see Eddie Van Halen, he did not disappoint. His solo time o­n stage lasted for more than 20 minutes. Audience members chanted "Eddie. Eddie. Eddie" At o­ne point, he became obviously emotional to the chants. Throughout the evening, he jumped, danced and dropped to his knees while playing his guitar. In between it all, he somehow managed to keep a lit cigarette tucked in to the end of his guitar, which doubled as a cigarette holder.

Van Halen returned to the stage for encore performances of "You Really Got Me" and "Panama." The four were encouraged to return a second time for "(How Do You Know) When It's Love."

Montreal rock group Jonas opened the evening.

The arena was packed with energetic fans who stood most of the evening, dancing to the beat with their arms raised. Still, there were many seats that remained unsold, even after the box office slashed ticket prices in half.

The Andersons paid full price for their floor seats when the tickets first went o­n sale and had no bad feelings about the ticket prices getting slashed the last week before the concert.

"These are great seats," Jeff said. "I have no regrets. I was over in Iraq last summer, and it's things like this that are worth fighting for."

Note: Rapid City Journal
Cindy Card is a freelance writer from Rapid City.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boo yah! One of those fans was me! The show was incredible, it was my first VH concert (hopefully not my last) I've been playing for five years and Ed's the reason I picked up my first guitar. His solo was stunning and awe inspiring and the rest of the band was just amazing. I even got Sammy to sign the sign I made :) It said "Right Now: =VH= Van Halen is kicking ass in Rapid!" I'll post some pics in the pic thread :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bishop Rob said:
Boo yah! One of those fans was me! The show was incredible, it was my first VH concert (hopefully not my last) I've been playing for five years and Ed's the reason I picked up my first guitar. His solo was stunning and awe inspiring and the rest of the band was just amazing. I even got Sammy to sign the sign I made :) It said "Right Now: =VH= Van Halen is kicking ass in Rapid!" I'll post some pics in the pic thread :)
Great show to start your Van Halen show history with! Lets hope there are more coming your way one day. Post those pics when you can man. I am sure there would be many fans who would love to see them here. Rock on

·
Banned
808 Posts
sphill said:
RAPID CITY -- The rock group Van Halen is old school rock ‘n' roll that remains as popular today as it was 25 years ago. The band proved why Saturday evening at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center during the 75th concert of its 2004 tour.

The audience was mostly filled with 40-somethings, but there also were plenty of members of a new generation of Van Halen fans.
Jeff Anderson, 42, of Hill City and his 12-year-old son Joe wore new Van Halen T-shirts. Although it will take years for Joe to fill out his new adult-size shirt, his father's taste in music has already grown o*n him.

"His mom likes country music," Jeff said to Joe's reaction of "blah." Joe said he has always been a big rock fan. "I've had AC/DC from the womb," he proudly admitted. "David Lee Roth is definitely better," Joe said. "I didn't come here to see Van Hagar. I am here to see Eddie and Alex." His father shared his son's sentiment.

"I tolerate Sammy," Jeff said. "I remember playing ‘Jamie's Crying' o*n the 8-track in my '69 Chevelle. It was their first album and their best album," he said.

Jim Sheah, 47, of Rapid City and his son Zach, 16, also paired up for the concert. "I've been a Van Halen fan for about six months," Zach said. "I hear them o*n the classic rock stations." Jim said he has been a fan for more than 20 years. "Since probably right after I got out of college in the early ‘80s," he said. The father and son also said they preferred David Lee Roth and were there mostly for the guitar playing.

After the band took to the stage, though, audience members didn't seem to care which frontman was singing. The band burst o*nto the stage about 8:30 p.m. with their signature hit "Jump." Sammy Hagar, dressed in a red T-shirt and red cut-off pants, wore a knit cap and sun glasses. His curly blond hairwas restrained in a pony tail, which he later shed to reveal his wild locks. A shirtless Eddie Van Halen ran out playing the guitar with a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. Michael Anthony played his guitar and sang some vocals. Sammy, Michael and Eddie moved around the stage throughout the entire concert. Alex Van Halen, who was also shirtless, remained behind the drums for most of the concert. o*n-stage video cameras projected images o*n a large screen behind the stage.

Musical performances were a compilation of the old stuff and the new stuff, with songs such as "Right Now," "Up For Breakfast," "It's About Time" "Why Can't This Be Love" and "Ain't Talking About Love."

Each of the four musicians had their moments to rock. Michael Anthony played bass o*n a Jack Daniel's bottle-shaped guitar. Alex Van Halen shook the house with his extended drum solo. Joe Anderson ditched his floor seat and his father for a closer look from the stairs o*n the side. His fists punched at the ceiling with the rest of the crowd's to the beat of the drumming.

Hagar's solo included playing guitar and his "I Can't Drive 55."

For those who were there to see Eddie Van Halen, he did not disappoint. His solo time o*n stage lasted for more than 20 minutes. Audience members chanted "Eddie. Eddie. Eddie" At o*ne point, he became obviously emotional to the chants. Throughout the evening, he jumped, danced and dropped to his knees while playing his guitar. In between it all, he somehow managed to keep a lit cigarette tucked in to the end of his guitar, which doubled as a cigarette holder.

Van Halen returned to the stage for encore performances of "You Really Got Me" and "Panama." The four were encouraged to return a second time for "(How Do You Know) When It's Love."

Montreal rock group Jonas opened the evening.

The arena was packed with energetic fans who stood most of the evening, dancing to the beat with their arms raised. Still, there were many seats that remained unsold, even after the box office slashed ticket prices in half.

The Andersons paid full price for their floor seats when the tickets first went o*n sale and had no bad feelings about the ticket prices getting slashed the last week before the concert.

"These are great seats," Jeff said. "I have no regrets. I was over in Iraq last summer, and it's things like this that are worth fighting for." :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Note: Rapid City Journal
Cindy Card is a freelance writer from Rapid City.
Nice read sphill!:scifB06: Thanks

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Very cool. Wish I could have been there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts