Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea came to me when I was posting on another thread here a while ago.

We all didn't wake up one day saying, "Van Halen, now that's a band for me!". There must have been a spark for you, a moment when you first heard them and said, "whooooa, what is this?"

Me....one weekend visit in 1979 I walked into a local store to listen to the new records playing. Playing that day was "Somebody Get me a Doctor!"
"What the hell is this?" I said. (smile on my face already)
“A cool band from the USA,” was the response.
I stood there as he played the whole album for me. I then ran and got my dad a begged him for $4.99. He gave me the money and I sat in the car all the way home reading the album cover, wondering what the reference to the hotel was all about. That day I must have played the album 40 times. It drove my mother nuts. (I took this a great sign that the music was for me!) I was hooked!

When did you first know that Van Halen were the band for you?

Was it one magic moment or was it a growing realisation that what was being played on the radio was the greatest rock and roll music you had even heard.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I knew about van halen for a while .. but i only knew jump and i didn't care for it *that* much .. but then one day i heard eruption in the next room .. and it was playing over and over i think someone was trying to learn it .. and i just sat there for ages glued to the sound .. it was just insane .. i was a guitar playing back then too but only really just starting out so to hear this was like holy crap ! lol ... after that i was just hooked on it and everything about the band !

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I knew about VH but it really didn't click for me till about '94 or just right before Balance came out, I swear it just hit me and I went and got all of the back catalogue and bam I was hooked, Eddie's playing just amazing to me, (at that point I was a big and still am Clapton and guitar in general fan) and I knew then after I really sat down and listened to Eddie I was hooked, and have been ever since!!

·
Guy who says Habutashi
393 Posts
I think I was about 6 when Twister came out and I watched it for the first time. I heard Humans Being and asked my dad who the group was. He said it was Van Halen. He let me borrow his VH cd's and I have been crazy about them ever since.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
It happened on a bus ride to the dentist office after school one day. I had already gotten 1984 for christmas, and went out the next day and picked up Diver Down, OU812, and VH2 I think. The dentist was a good ways from my house so I had a nice long ride ahead of me. I took all those tapes along with me for the ride, and I was just so zoned in to the sound of the guitar, especially on Hang Em High. I must have played that song like 20 times that day. That was back in 95 I believe, and I've been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
479 Posts
when I was 11, my cousin had an extra ticket to see black sabath in pittsburg,pa. in 78...i begged my mom to let me go and she finnaly gave in....VH was the opening act.....I was blown away by them....afterwards I bought every record (remmber those big black round things?) of theirs as they came out....and never missed a tour untill the VHIII

·
Registered
472 Posts
I always liked them, but was way into other bands more. Sabbath, Ozzy, Stones, AC/DC, but VH was always there. They became an obsession after 1984. I can remeber being 17 yrs old and laying watching tv with my girlfriend, right after the Madonna video Panama came on. She said that she thought Eddies new haircut was 'cute'. Well, off I went to buy a guitar shortly after that..
... BTW, shes long gone, but I still have the first guitar I ever bought...

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I had "liked" Van Halen for a good long while, but not really know it to be honest. The main reasons for this being that I was only 9 when 1984 came out. Thus the only music I could listen to was whatever was in my older brother and sister's collections, which were heavily guarded. Also, whatever were in my friend's collections. I couldn't afford stuff of my own as I spent all my money on computer games. Guitars and music hadn't really taken their hold yet...

That all changed when I started hanging around with an older kid up the road from me. He would always listen to 5150, and my brother allowed him to listen to his albums as well. So, before long, I was hooked on both 5150, and Fair Warning. He taped 5150 for me, and I wore the tape out. I loved Summer Nights and Get Up.

Then I managed to get more and more copies, and realised that, wow, Panama and Jump were by Van Halen, as were Somebody Get Me A Doctor, etc. I quickly realised that nearly every song I liked, happened to be by them.

Then I acquired a copy of Live Without A Net, and the transition was complete for me. That's when my Eddie and stripe addiction began. I had never seen anything so cool before. I guess I'd never really sat down and though about what it was that went into producing sounds like that. But to see the guy running around the stage with that stripey Kramer, producing the sounds that he did. That was it for me. I thought there isn't anything cooler, and there's nothing that sounds better than that man with that guitar in his hands.

Before long, my pocket money was going towards buying music. I can still remember buying OU812 with the money I got for digging over my Dad's allotment. I clutched that LP all the way home, reading the lyrics, and trying to figure out how the songs would go.

And I've bought every other Van Halen album as it was released ever since, and I haven't been dissapointed !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Driving to school one morning in '78 and Eruption comes on. OMG. I went after school that day and bought the 8-track. I wore it out as well as 2 cassetes until cd's came out. I have everything they have put out and have loved them since that first day. Eddie also inspired me to play guitar. I got my first the following year.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to hear an older fan here. 8 track! How coool
I also wore out tapes I made from my beloved vinyl collection. I actually bought the entire vinyl collection again in 1992 before they disappeared from the shelves. CD's are great but my childhood is about albums. Playing the record takes me back to 1979 when I first heard them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the Diver Down tape about 1983, then 1984 in 84. I got into them thanks to my older cousin who was very into VH and saw them several times in Oakland and SF during the early 80's. They were all over Mtv and rock radio at the time here in California. I thought they were the baddest MFers. Roth was so over the top and Eddie's playing was insane. I dug back I bought the first 4 tapes, then got them all on LP(record).

20 years later I am still following the band and I got plenty of cds and got to see them 20+ times in concert.

Good times.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I actually inheritied Van Halen I and II from my brother when he moved on to Kiss. (dumbass) After months of listening to it through his walls, to finally hold it in my hands and play it was magic. It all crystalized for me in a single moment. They are still the only band that, the first time I heard it, I felt immediately connected to the music. Don't know why, don't know how, don't care.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
sphill said:
Great to hear an older fan here. 8 track! How coool
I also wore out tapes I made from my beloved vinyl collection. I actually bought the entire vinyl collection again in 1992 before they disappeared from the shelves. CD's are great but my childhood is about albums. Playing the record takes me back to 1979 when I first heard them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I got them all on vinyl, as well as <font color="orange">12"</font> versions of Feels So Good, Dreams, Top Of The World, Poundcake, When It's Love, and Panama (possibly more, but I can't remember, and they currently live in the unit next to my bed, so it would piss the wife off something cronic if I started shuffling around in there now to have a look).

Only Dreams had an alternative extended version on it though... When It's Love had A Apolitical Blues on the <font color="yellow">B</font> side (wasn't on my version of OU812, I don't think). Poundcake had an interview with the band on the <font color="yellow">B</font> side, I remember them saying stuff like, "It's not pissing up a rope, or waxing it on", and them all taking the piss out of Eddie on it. Top Of The World came in a box set with a badge, sticker and poster, so I bought two copies, one remains unopened.

I also had the <font color="yellow">7"</font> vinyl of Feels So Good, which came in a <font color="yellow">string vest</font>, but some bastard stole it from the Supermarket I was working at at the time !

Anyway, I went off track a bit there, sorry !!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have few 7" singles from Japan and even Portugal!
These were available here for a while.
Sorry to hear about the Feels so Good vest being ripped off. I'll get the rope and you get the dogs and we'll "hunt this poor boy down"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Van Man I think your brother got it BASSAKWARDS. KISS aftter Van Halen. Damn. At least you got it right. I wnet from Kiss to Nugent to Aerosmith to whomever not the other way around. And I'm not really that old. If 41 is old so be it but I can still
with the best of them. VH is ans will always be the best.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
For me, I have to thank my dumbass older brother. In 1979 he was unloading his 8-tracks and gave me Van Halen I and I recall him saying, "you won't like it - it's too noisy". Well, I feel in love with that "noise" and have been hooked ever since.

As for my brother, well, he moved on to John Denver. And now you know the rest of the story.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Had some friends that was into rock...they bought the first one in 79.....we where floored by that insane guitar and band....have heard them ever since....Eddie and Mark Knoplfer really got me into guitars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts