Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one here who doesn't care for these guys at all? Everyone tells me that their best song is "Fall to Pieces" so I go and check that out and to my dismay (esp. considering the talent in the group), they sound like some kind of Creed knock-off. And this sucks for me because Creed kinda bores the hell out of me.

Also, everyone is telling me how Slash is way better now then when Guns and Roses was together. So just for comparison, I played "Fall to Pieces" and the "Appetite For Destruction" album back to back and my only conclusions are that:

(1) the people telling me this have never listened to Appetite For Destruction and are blatantly lying;
(2) the world needs a hero, and people REALLY want this group to be as great as their former bands were, so that people have become delusional and now actually believe VR to be great when they are, in fact, just average;
or
(3) the world has gone mad and people are no longer able to differentiate qualitative differences in pieces of art.

To my highly biased ears, when I compare "Fall to Pieces" to say..."Sweet Child Of Mine" (which "Fall to Pieces" vaugely sounds like in parts), I just scratch my head in wonder.

However, music is all subjective so I'd like to hear the other side. For any VR fans out there, I've a couple of questions. (1) Have you ever really sat down and listened to "Appetite For Destruction", (2) Do you like Creed?, and (3) What is it about "Falling to Pieces" that makes it so great?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
1. I've owned several copies of Appetite and I've heard the new Velvet Revolver. Comparing the two is entirely unfair. One was a magic moment in music and time, the other is some of the best of what's around TODAY, if you like real rock bands.

2. Yes, I like Creed, but then again I like music. Say what you want about whatever message they were trying to get across, in my opinion they were an above average rock band.

3. To me, the allure of Falling To Pieces comes from a knowledge of what those guys have been through as people. Their struggles with addictions are well documented and this song and video bring all that out into the open. To me, it's a pretty cool move on their part. They're saying "This is what we've been through, now you know too. "

Velvet Revolver will never be G n R or STP, but they're a good band that I would much prefer listening to 90% of the dreck that's being force fed to us on a daily basis.

G

·
VanMan2000 said:
Velvet Revolver will never be G n R or STP, but they're a good band that I would much prefer listening to 90% of the dreck that's being force fed to us on a daily basis.
well said....at least they still have their own style and identity and arent trying to sound like everyone else.
its good bands like them, U2, the Cure, van halen, etc. that are the only reason i will even seldom turn on the radio. if it wasnt for good bands like them still being around i wouldnt be able to keep my sanity.:eek:
i like VR..theyre not GNR. but hey..theyre great. :rock:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
In my opinion, both albums are great (Appetite & Contraband). I think what makes Appetite stand out is the time it was released. It was a groundbreaking album that went against what everybody was doing at the time. Like Nirvana's Nevermind, it was a statement in time that changed music. On the other hand, Contraband is a masterpiece compared to 90% of what's out there today, but it's not groundbreaking. I think if Contraband had been released when Appetite was released...it would have been just as sucessful.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I also agree with VanMan. My take on it...when Appetite came out these guys were young and hungry. It completely captures RAW, kick-ass, rock and roll. Plain and simple. Refreshing for a time period where most bands looked and sounded the same. These guys completely took over the scene and it was because they were just incredible (unlike the shit you see on MTV today). Even GNR couldn't recreate another Appetite...success brought excess, Axl drifted away from what made them so great and started adding more and more to the music, a la Use Your Illusion, to where it was no longer raw and fresh but just commercial and over produced. Sure November Rain sounds great, thanks to Slash's solos but it and the other songs are so different in sound than their roots. Velvet Revolver's Contraband is similiar to Appetite in that it's just a record where they went back to the basics and produced rockin in your face material. I never expected them to copy GNR and, happily, they didn't. I wouldn't compare them to Creed either.
They are one of the few bands currently out there that can be called a ROCK BAND. I won't hold my breath for MTV to start playing MUSIC VIDEOS again, nor for these talentless tarts and criminal worshiping rap bands to go away, but I hope more kids get hooked on VR and start to emulate GOOD FUCKING music for a change. The music scene has sucked balls since 94...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Contraband although not as strong an album as Appetite, is still a good rock album in my opinion. I don't like the entire CD, maybe 5 songs. Slither is by far, the best song on the album and one of the best new "hard rock n roll" songs I've heard in quite a while. At first I didn't care for Fall to Peices until I heard it a few more times and now I like it. It kinda grows on you. :toothless

I still consider Slash one of the greats but you can't compare Revolver with Guns n Roses....give VR some time and if they're able to stick together awhile, I think we'll hear some great songs in the future from them.:icon_cool

·
Registered
240 Posts
Legends make themselves only once, and to say that it can be done again and again, is almost insane. But, to carry on in meaning of the Legend, can and will be done over and over again. It's all in the listener to decide how long.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As a GnR fan, obviously I am rooting for these guys, but I also haven't fooled myself into believing that they will be anything more than a consolation for not having the original Guns-n-Roses.

"Appetite for Destruction" is one of those albums that comes along only every 10 to 20 years. I'd even go as far as saying it's easily in the top 10 of all time. "Contraband" is not in this category.

Love him or hate him, Axl played a huge role in G-n-R's success. He's a good songwriter.

And obviously, people still give a rodent's behind about him. The man drops off the face of the Earth for several years, then resurfaces at MTV's video awards in 2002 with ALL OF THE ORIGINAL BAND gone......yet the crowd still went nuts.

That speaks volumes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Err and one more thing, you can't really base a band off 2 songs, thats like eating the black jelly bean and saying they all suck :D (I dont like jelly beans at all though so meh!) :p

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i love gunners! i fucking love them, my all time favourite band, mainly coz of slash, but the songs still ruled. i followed the snake pit for awhile too. also awesome

now, VR, they are great i think, i don't like the singer verymuch but the songs are cool. personally i don't like fall to pieces very much, i like Big Machine, Sucker Train Blues, etc. these are better, are they better than ANYTHING gunners did? absolutley not, but really, you want me to listen to gunners for the rest of my life? or perhaps i should expand into jessica simpson

anyway this soudns like i don't like VR which is wrong i think they are mad and i will continue to listen to them

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
The crowd went nuts, but ask yourself this: Were they going nuts because Axl was back with the best Guns N Roses cover band on earth, or was it because of some sick curiosity as to how Axl was gonna screw up next? If this would have happened 5 years earlier I would pick choice #1 but.......

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I think way too much credit is being given to Axl. Sure he penned some great tunes but he is also the main reason why the band folded...he single-handedly changed the direction of the music from what the members wanted a la Appetite to full blown orchestral nonsense a la Use Your Illusion. Izzy should be given more credit as he co-penned and came up with a majority of the music. He is a very underrated member of that band. Axl should be ashamed of himself. He couldn't even keep commitments to play his bookings, completing ONE fucking show for the last tour. I find it hard to believe that any label would continue to support this freak. TEN FUCKING YEARS to deliver on an album...please. The sad part is no matter how good it is, it cannot help to fall flat because of the expectations that will be placed on it. It will be the equivalent to Romero taking 4.5 years to release Daikatana...heavily hyped, that game fell mighty short of target. A HUGE disappointment in terms of revenue. In all fairness, the game was actually good but for a guy who stopped 2 years in to completely rewrite the code and then gave numerous interviews on how it would kick ass, not to mention how the engine he used became obsolete during the second rewrite, it left the gamer seriously wanting.

To me, Axl is a crybaby. Also, I think he sucks as a performer. I have a 2 disc DVD set of the Use Your Illusion tour, from 92 in Tokyo. He lost his voice FIVE songs in...he sounded like shit for the rest of the show. He looked liked a fucking goodfball on stage in the garb he chose to wear. In contrast, Slash was in excellent form, as were the rest of the rythym section.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Hmm. I guess i'm the only one besides Ulnarian who was dissapointed by Velvet Revolver too. I wasn't into GNR in first place though, so that might have something to do with it. I'd rather listen to STP then either to be honest.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Lydian said:
Hmm. I guess i'm the only one besides Ulnarian who was dissapointed by Velvet Revolver too. I wasn't into GNR in first place though, so that might have something to do with it. I'd rather listen to STP then either to be honest.
You're around 20-21 yrs old right?... Not picking on you but you were too young to be exposed to that 80's "style" of music. I don't think anyone your age can really appreciate that era of hard rock unless you were a teenager during the late 70's and 80's. To me the 90's bands like STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc., mostly appeals to younger people like yourself. To me, the 90's was the end of the "Guitar Hero" era, partying, good times, and good metal. The 90's was mostly just an angry, dirty, flannel covered, drop D tuned, 3 chord, no guitar solos, nightmare of an era musically. (with the exception of a few bands)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Lydian said:
nope - I agree :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Riff Addict said:
You're around 20-21 yrs old right?... Not picking on you but you were too young to be exposed to that 80's "style" of music. I don't think anyone your age can really appreciate that era of hard rock unless you were a teenager during the late 70's and 80's. To me the 90's bands like STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc., mostly appeals to younger people like yourself. To me, the 90's was the end of the "Guitar Hero" era, partying, good times, and good metal. The 90's was mostly just an angry, dirty, flannel covered, drop D tuned, 3 chord, no guitar solos, nightmare of an era musically. (with the exception of a few bands)
lol true, but I love both none the less :D

·
Banned
156 Posts
Riff Addict said:
Not true for me at all. I don't like any of the 90's bands. But i'd take Alice In Chains over something so watered down.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Lydian said:
Not true for me at all. I don't like any of the 90's bands. But i'd take Alice In Chains over something so watered down.
I love Alice in Chains too man. When I wrote "with the exception of a few bands", I thought about Alice in Chains. They were one of the best things the 90's had to offer.

Don't take any offense to my bullsh*t ranting. I love 80's Metal, and I'm still pissed that the 90's took it away from me.:toothless (Well, at least new music of that style). I still got one helluva Old school Metal CD collection!!! WooHoo:devilchil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts