Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Verga July Entry - "THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER"

3K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  verga 
#1 ·
How to cover this song like him? To get the same feeling as Jimy was a damn hard work (...and im still not comfortable with the results). Its not 100% acurate but i think youll get the idea. This cover is also a tribute to a great guitarist. I hope you like it.

#2 ·
Mate this is just beautiful. the slow bend down at 00:50 is really sublime, I really love that. It is overheld to the point where it made me anxious :lol: brilliant! the "meltdown" section is spot on mate. Even down to the overtones. This is a real indepth study to Hendrix's improv at Woodstock. It is the sort of thing I would expect Satriani to have poured over. Every detail is there, The wah, a hint of univibe even (unless it is just my retro ears ;) ) and right down to the incidental noises on the trem dives. And theres the real link, Satriani, because you have Joe nailed too. Unless the unbelieveable happens, I think you can count on my vote.

Stunning!

#5 ·
Hell I think this was smokin and in the style! I would love to hear you try "Machine Gun" as that follows along these lines....i bet you would also kick ass on that tune as well. :rock:

#9 ·
Incredible job Verga!!!!! :icon_thum .....It's like getting in a time machine..... Awesome tones and attack!!!. Whammy action for daaaaayyyyyyyssss!!!! Great!!!:rock: :rock:

#11 ·
Thank you very much everybody :) Your comments are priceless. When i was practicing/recording this song my brother told me "what the f%$%ck are you doing? are you stoned???!!!!" so i think that was a good sign about what i was trying to achieve :toothless . Actually im recording my all time fav Hendrix song (even if is a Dylan cover): "All along the watchtower" and i started a topic on the battle section. Thanks once more guys.

#16 ·
ncook said:
It wasn't that good. I turned it off about 10 seconds into it. Everyone thinks Hendricks was so great, I think he sounded like crap. If it make you feel good, you achieved the same crappy sound. :icon_thum

Just because Verga wasn't civil to you in your GNR post, don't hop over here to try an start something, that's not the way it's done here. So knock it off.

#17 · (Edited)
Rythameen said:
Just because Verga wasn't civil to you in your GNR post, don't hop over here to try an start something, that's not the way it's done here. So knock it off.
Thanks for sticking up for me in the GnR post. I appreciate the way new people are treated here.

BTW- My opinion is still my opinion.

#22 ·
verga said:
How to cover this song like him? To get the same feeling as Jimy was a damn hard work (...and im still not comfortable with the results). Its not 100% acurate but i think youll get the idea. This cover is also a tribute to a great guitarist. I hope you like it.
Verga, great playing as stated by others before me, but curious how this fits in with the contest theme of being an "original interpretation" since you even state you were trying to get the feeling of Jimi, many of the nuances are Jimi's, and even many of the squeals are timed just like Jimi's, and it is very close, but not 100% accurate?

Not trying to start shit, but it seems a far cry from an "original interpretation" and much closer to a fairly good rendition of the Hendrix version we have all come to know and love over the past 25 years from Woodstock. Hell, I was waiting to hear you kick in to Purple Haze :thumb: Help me understand. Maybe I am just overlooking something? :dunno:

#23 ·
ncook said:
It wasn't that good. I turned it off about 10 seconds into it. Everyone thinks Hendricks was so great, I think he sounded like crap. If it make you feel good, you achieved the same crappy sound. :icon_thum
You think i achieved a crappy sound? Its ok, i accept criticism coming from everyone if they dont like what they are hearing. You have the right to state your own opinions. I am a hard critic too but i think i give my critic ONLY on the songs i know how to play and most important: i have PROVED that i can play them. Try to "emulate" the song before open your mouth. Thats not MY main sound at all. You are whinning for a Guns n´Roses fucking easy cover because you are learning it... damn dude, cant you learn it from the original song as everyone else? I really doubt that you could play this song that sounds like crap if you cant with SCOM yet. Dont you think is very creepy to start a thread like that on your FIRST post without even introduce yourself 1st? Im not gonna start a flame war against you because you are insulting my work, but you also dont know me, dont know how i play and also you dont know the effort i put on EVERY single song i record. I hope youll be more positive on your next posts. If you wanna hear my cover accept my challenge on the battle section and shut my mouth. Otherwise....:notme:

#24 ·
El_jalepeno said:
Verga, great playing as stated by others before me, but curious how this fits in with the contest theme of being an "original interpretation" since you even state you were trying to get the feeling of Jimi, many of the nuances are Jimi's, and even many of the squeals are timed just like Jimi's, and it is very close, but not 100% accurate?

Not trying to start shit, but it seems a far cry from an "original interpretation" and much closer to a fairly good rendition of the Hendrix version we have all come to know and love over the past 25 years from Woodstock. Hell, I was waiting to hear you kick in to Purple Haze :thumb: Help me understand. Maybe I am just overlooking something? :dunno:
DAMN!! You know Jalapeño? Your right, and i want to be fair. I swear i havent noticed that 2 words ("Original Interpretation")on the main July contest rules....the only original thing on my playing is on some spots were it difers from Hendrix´s original attempt....Dont worry,i guess im out then :cry: . I have to practice my English a little more for the next time. Anyway, thanks everybody for your great words, it means a lot to me. Verga

#25 ·
verga said:
....Dont worry,i guess im out then :cry: . I have to practice my English a little more for the next time.
I wouldn't consider yourself out of the contest, Verga. As far as I am concerned, someone could enter the Benny Hill theme song if they wanted to. That person probably wouldn't win because their entry would be too far removed from the proposed guidelines. Maybe yours is, maybe it isn't, but the community members do the voting, and if they dig your version enough, they might not mind if it is a replication of jimi's version. :dunno:

#26 ·
verga said:
You think i achieved a crappy sound?
I said the same crappy sound. It could be a complement just the same. I think Hendricks sound was crappy, you sounded just like him regardless of my tastes.

verga said:
... but i think i give my critic ONLY on the songs i know how to play and most important: i have PROVED that i can play them.
So, you've never heard a song and thought anything was wrong with it until you sat down and learned how to play it? That's pretty stupid.
*Hey verga, how did you like that new Back Street Boys album?
*verga: I don't know, I'm still learning it.

verga said:
Try to "emulate" the song before open your mouth. You are whinning for a Guns n´Roses fucking easy cover because you are learning it... damn dude, cant you learn it from the original song as everyone else? I really doubt that you could play this song that sounds like crap if you cant with SCOM yet.
Hmm, let me use your own words to answer..."but you also dont know me, dont know how i play and also you dont know the effort i put on EVERY single song i record."

verga said:
Dont you think is very creepy to start a thread like that on your FIRST post without even introduce yourself 1st?
You didn't. Your first post was critism :thumb:

"i dont want to sound anal (a RUSHnerd fan here too) but you have some mistakes on the song. The intro riff is played wrong, and then the next section its played like you did but on the next part of the song. The tone of the solo was KILLER!!!! and i really like the way you improvised the thing. I give you a honest 8!!"

nice introduction

verga said:
"I really doubt that you could play this song"
...later that same post....
verga said:
"but you also dont know me, dont know how i play and also you dont know the effort i put on EVERY single song i record."
Hypocrite.

verga said:
If you wanna hear my cover accept my challenge on the battle section and shut my mouth. Otherwise....:notme:
I never asked you for anything, your input was unsolicited. If you didn't want to share your cover, you could have ignored the post like 170 others. You chose to be a jerk. Whatever, to each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.