Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VH songs you can\'t stand anymore!

I'm sure I can't be the only here, but there are points when I go thru moods where there is a certain VH song that I just can't stomach anymore. That song right now is Why Can't This Be Love. Even when I saw them live this year, I just couldn't get into this frigging song. It's been a staple in the Van Halen setlist for years now, and all the boot collecting and sharing I've done seems to have soured me on this tune. I just can't take it anymore!!!

Any tunes that you guys just either tune out or hit the skip button on?

G

·
Re: VH songs you can\'t stand anymore!

Finish What Ya' Started. I love the song... it's a fun tune... I even enjoy playing it... but my main rock station (eagle 107.5 out of Wheeling, WV) plays maybe 10 VH songs a week... if that's the case, 8 of them will be FWYS. I was already getting sick of it, but then my G/F (who is just starting to get into VH because of me and the tour this year) took a surprising liking to the song... now she listens to it all the time.

It's in the stereo, it's in her car, it's on the radio... AAAHHH!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You know what song I couldn't stand for the longest?? And The Craddle Will Rock. I thought that friggin piano thru the marshall stack shit was soooooooooooooo annoying, and just cringed everytime I heard it. Now it's a fav of mine, especially after hearing it live a few times when Dave sang it.

Why Can't This Be Love just irratates me to no end, along with Can't Stop Loving You. It's not even that they're love songs, it's just that I overplayed them, and they're always on the radio. Those two just annoy the fuck out of me. When I saw them in AC and they played WCTB? I was watching the crowd reaction, and this guy in front of me was losing his fuckin mind. I forgot how many ppl really love that tune, and what it meant to Van Halen's career. I thought it was cool that it got that kind of reaction, but I was more interested in lookin at Dlynn then listening to the song

·
Registered
67 Posts

I would say Love comes walkin in. To much keyboard, to much pop sound. Same with Not Enough. Still don't like How many say I. I almost had to listen to it after the thread about it the other day, but NO.

Right now I have been skipping Jump on the 84 live bootleg cds. I miss the guitar parts in the 84 live versions.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts

Running With the Devil and You Really Got Me. Not bad songs. Actually, they are pretty good songs. Just heard them one too many times. I will immediately change the station if they come on them.

Almost anything from Balance. According to my set of ears, that is the most bland Van Halen album. The guitar solo in Can't Stop Loving you is frickin' sweet, but I don't care for the rest of that song. Too sappy for me.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

for me .The 3 new songs . Just have no tolerance for them. to me it sounds like they slapped whatever on a cd and called it good.
VGB.

·
Registered
628 Posts

"Can't Stop Loving You" this was cool for about 2 months for me. Then I now can't hit the fast forward button quick enough. While it has many merits to it musically and lyrically it is too cheesy for me after a while.

Interesting thread as it is actually invites fans to be critical and to justify their decision. Sometimes I believe fans can become so blinded that they cannot always see the minor faults and odd tunes in their fav bands music. I though will support Van Halen the band till the day I die. Having the odd bum tune don't make a bum band. Hell, when I meet Linda Evangelista (former supermodel) this year, I noticed the odd flaw. It is the sum of the good stuff that you judge them on, not the one or two inconsistencies.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
You know what song I couldn't stand for the longest?? And The Craddle Will Rock. I thought that friggin piano thru the marshall stack shit was soooooooooooooo annoying, and just cringed everytime I heard it. Now it's a fav of mine, especially after hearing it live a few times when Dave sang it.

Why Can't This Be Love just irratates me to no end, along with Can't Stop Loving You. It's not even that they're love songs, it's just that I overplayed them, and they're always on the radio. Those two just annoy the fuck out of me. When I saw them in AC and they played WCTB? I was watching the crowd reaction, and this guy in front of me was losing his fuckin mind. I forgot how many ppl really love that tune, and what it meant to Van Halen's career. I thought it was cool that it got that kind of reaction, but I was more interested in lookin at Dlynn then listening to the song

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao
One that I really don't listen to and sometimes actually turn the station when it comes on the radio is Dancing In The Street, they have just played that song too much, that is one of the only ones I do that with.

·
Registered
628 Posts

LOL
That's right
That new thingy-ma-jigger called a CD player was not around in my car ages ago. At least it aint 8-track!

Rock On Moon!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts

I can't really say any of them annoy me to be honest, and that's why they are my favourite band...

Call me a sheep, BAAAA, whatever,

I just can't overplay their songs, I love 'em too much. Sure, I'll play the shit out of Fair Warning and 5150, and lesser so some of the other albums, but as for having a song that I simply cannot stand, then no, not really...

·
Registered
21 Posts

Panama (studio version).
I'm just so sick of the studio version. Maybe cuz I have lots of MTV and other video footage from 1984 and that was the one song/video they would always play following an interview & Maybe cuz its one of the few VH tunes where the live version is miles better than the studio version. I love this tune live, even if its a bit played out and could use a break from the set.

Wow. Holy grammar errors, Batman! I had to edit myself....

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ya know there was a time where I couldn't stand Panama either, but then I heard a version from the Philly 95 show and it KILLED. I can't stand Big Bad Bill anymore I know that's for sure. It was cute the first few times I heard it, but then I just said forget this shit..SKIP!

·
Registered
89 Posts

I also can not stand Big Bad Bill. Just not a right fit for the band at the time. That is the only song that gets me the wrong way. Although i like the fact that his dad played the clarinet in the song I just didnt like the song.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
Ya know there was a time where I couldn't stand Panama either, ...I can't stand Big Bad Bill anymore I know that's for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was not as much a fan of Panama until I learned how to play it (most of it anyway). It is a very fun song to play. One of my favorites now. I have always loved Big Bad Bill. It does not really match the Van Halen "brand" for the last 10 or 15 years, but I love the lyrics and it is fun for me to (try to) sing along to. A lot of people poo-poo on the Diver Down album, but some of my favorites are on that one. I can understand though, people not liking Big Bad Bill. It is more of a Dave song than an Eddie song.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

Little Dreamer. In my opinion, it's the worst (original) song in the entire VH catalog. Can't stand it.

As Spinal Tap might say, that song is "shit sandwich".

G

·

I always liked Big Bad Bill... very fun little tune that was way out of character... cool IMO. I always dug Right Now, and Little Dreamer, as well... ATBL is way overplayed, I agree. I still dig the tune, but I'm not real worried about missing it if I wanna turn it off.

One tune I almost forgot all about. Feels So Good...

Never could stomach that one.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

LOL I actually like Feels So Good, but I gotta be in the mood for that shit. More times then not I'll just head straight for the solo and then skip to FWYS. I can't stand that tune anymore either. The live versions are much better.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I can't stand these songs, total cheese...
"Can't stop lovin you"
"Love Walks In"
"Dreams"
"Why Can't This Be Love"

These songs sound to me like they were made on a damn assembly line

1 - 20 of 32 Posts