Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use for getting the vocals the way you like them??? I mean what editing software. Also, what effects can you use for recording with? Do you record dry and then add effects??? I can't get the professional sound I'm looking for........

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I still don't have a good enough idea myself to be honest. And also I don't think it really matters what DAW you use.

Here is what I use.

Behringer B2 Pro mic with windscreen and pop screen-> Behringer Tube ultragain Mic 100 -> Mixer -> DMX 6Fire -> Cubase sx2. Now if you want to apply fx to the voice, add them to the input channel and use the monitor setting on the track you are recording on. This way you will be able to hear what is being recorded. BUT you must make sure your latency is set below ~5ms. If it is any higher it can be very confusing.

Personally I record dry and apply the fx later for the simple reason it is easy to apply whatever fx you want after you have the vocals down. If you record with i.e reverb, you might find that it is overpowering in the final mix and there is little you can do about it then.

The exception is possibly compression/limiting. I am experimenting with this at the moment with varying results. I use Waves Platinum for most of my mastering but there are some great free VST plug ins and on of the best free compressors is Bonefish http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5 it adds a lot of character, much like analogue compressors do.

I add the effects at the mixing stage in realtime. basically I use waves rverb but there are some great free reverbs check out the KVR website http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mod...x=1&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&sort=1&rpp=15

Reverb has a tendency to become more prominent on the final mix down so use it sparingly.

Other than that, it is all about how you mix the vocals. EQ is important and although it is stil a bit of a black art to me, check out things like http://www.trinitysoundcompany.com/eq.html and http://www.recordingeq.com/articles/rtec0499.htm to get some idea.

For backing vocals I tend to bounce each vocal left and right to fatten up the sound.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I too am working on making the vocals sound better, I use cool edit, but have used cubase, cubase has a neat plugin for vocals called karalette which sounds nice if used right.

you need the compression mostly.... it is tough to get vocals to sound good. I will have to check out goports links for this because I still am working on getting it to sound nicer.

FatesWebb

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
What i have done is maximize the gear i had available to do vocals with. I play guitar, but to do vocals, i use an sm-57 (which normally mics an amp), run Mic->behringer 4 track mixer as a preamp->soundcard->CoolEdit Pro from Peter Quistgard and then use reverb, compression, and channel mixer to do the mixes. It's very minimalistic, but i like it. Get to learn the Cooledit settings (or any other multitrack recording software)...it's completely subjective for how you like to do your thing. That's my 2 cents. Good luck with it bro. :thumb:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll work on it. I have Pro-Trax Plus 2.2. It's just confusing. The guitar stuff comes out ok. But the vocals I need to work on.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Goport said:
Behringer B2 Pro mic with windscreen and pop screen-> Behringer Tube ultragain Mic 100 -> Mixer -> DMX 6Fire -> Cubase sx2. Now if you want to apply fx to the voice, add them to the input channel and use the monitor setting on the track you are recording on. This way you will be able to hear what is being recorded. BUT you must make sure your latency is set below ~5ms. If it is any higher it can be very confusing.
Hey Porty, I am waiting on some mics from Musician's Friend (MXL 992 Large Diaphragm Condenser, and 993 pencil condenser, got em both with shock mount for the 992, clip for the 992, carrying case and pop filter for $199 w/free shipping) Anyway, I know I'm an going to want a mic preamp, and I was wondering if you're happy with the Ultragain Mic 100? Likes/Dislikes? If you had to do it again, would you pick something else, or go with the same?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
as I said on the other thread. I like the Mic100 but it doesn't seem to really like the B2. In fact I have found I get better results going direct to mixer and adding warmth via a plugin later. But I still use it for the moment, but subtly.

There are better units on the market for a very good price. The 2200 is a great unit and retains the valve and the Behringer Ultra Voice Digital VX2496 is even better for my needs at the moment.

I am definately looking to start up a 19" rack of certain fx that I emulate far too much with plug ins, in turn using up all the system resources. I want something like the following :

Behringer Composer Pro xl mdx2600 comp/limiter.
Behringer Ultra-DI Pro DI4000 Quad DI Box
Behringer Ultra Voice Digital VX2496
Behringer Virtualizer DSP2024 Effects Processor

God I sound like a Behringer fanboy :lol: - I am not, I just think they do a good job at budget gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts