Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Kramer Striker wich had several issues, and the one thing remaining is the volume-pot, wich crackles when its turned. The guy at the guitarstore said this was easy to change, i just needed to check out the ohms-value before he could get me a new one. Yes!, i thought, and went home to take off the pickguard..

First of all, the wiring behind the PG was a mess (looked like the wires were twisted around eachother ten times before connected!), and when i finally managed to reach the backside of the volume-pot, there were no ohms-value stamped on it...

So, does anybody know the value? (Kramer Striker 300st)
And i think i will ask my friend who knows his electronics, to do the repair, as it looks like a shitload of trouble for me to do it, even if i am a trained man with the "soldering iron", if thats what its called...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx VB!

I'll get a 500k one.. Any idea on the price?

I'm also thinking of changing the humbucker with the "fingerboard"-hb from my olp mm1. I thought i might just swop them, since i dont use the top one on the olp, and i know it sounds good (better)....
Is this possible,(concidering the coiltap system, and the inferno of wires on the Striker)
and more impotantly, is this smart? (my guess is NOT...)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Most OLP's are 2 wire type pickups. In order to coil tap you need a 4 wire pickup.
You would lose your coil tap but thats it.
Give it a try. its easy to wire
The 500k ohm pot is only about 5 bucks most stores.
Check StewMac for wiring schematics to fit your setup.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the specs from vintagekramer on the striker, and it says that the pickups on the late eightees strikers are seymore duncans (??) Sounds weird, concidering this is an overseas model, and the orig. price of the guitar... The humbucker has power allright, but lacks clarity in my opinion, but
If the reason for this is wear&tear, i do not know.
However, the bridge pickup on my olp has the sound i like. What i dont know if the neck pickup is the same as the bridge pickup? Any idea? I would guess its the same...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The pickups are really close in properties on the OLP's . It's true that the Kramers had Duncan pickups. Clarity may be a matter of how close the pickups are to the strings.

you can put a neck pickup in a bridge position. Its just wont have the bite of a bridge pickup. They are normally a warmer tone and part of that is because of how they are positioned on the body. theres more string vibration towards the neck than the bridge giving it a warmer tone.

Its worth a try to swap them out.
VGB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we'll see, guess i need to build up some courage first..

Maybe i'll wait for some cash income, and buy a new pickup.¨

What pickup to buy for that brown sound, i dont know.... ?
Probably lots of different ones out there....

Tip's?

G

·
hey haakon, the pot probably just has some dirt or dust inside it. get a can battery terminal cleaner or any kind of electrical equipment cleaner and spray it inside it...then turn it several times.
ive had that problem before. clean it=problem solved. that tech you took it to should have known that...but there is the possibility that it is just a bad pot and has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A few words of advice on the cleaner. Make sure its not a lubricant because it just attracts more crap and gunk. Also check to see that its safe for plastic components. Alot of cleaners on the market do more damage than good.
Battery terminal cleaner is designed for Lead terminals. Pots are usually a brass or similar composite. Electric motor cleaners are extremely harsh and are closer to WD40 as far as a high lubricant content. Radio Shack carries cleaners designed for electronic components thats non lubricating and safe for pots and other parts. They quickly evaporate and leave no liquids behind to collect more gunk.

Since your guitar is at least 13 years old changing the pots are a worth while minor investment.
VB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exellent!:thumbup: Got kind of bummed when i looked under the PG, and saw the myriads of wires.. I think i have a can of CRC 556, wich i think is an alcohol corrotion solvant. Anybody know if this is something i can use?
I'm up in the far north of cold Norway, so i dont think i'll find any of the products you mentioned here...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duncan designed? Meaning its made LIKE a seymore duncan pup, or does it mean that it IS a seymore duncan pup.. me? Confused, and not so good in english.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Duncan Designed pickups are just that. They are designed by Seymour Duncan but they are not built by Seymour Duncan. Also, the parts used to assemble the pickups probably come from different suppliers.

These pups are used on import guitars so guitar manufacturers dont have to ship pickups to Japan, Korea, or China.

They generally dont sound as good as a real Seymour Duncan pickup...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the sound will get warmer and cleaner if i mount it straight into the body, instead of using the orig.bracket.. (EVH-style)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts