Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WAH-WAH SINGS \"Crowded House\"(against his better judgement) NO GUITAR!

..ahem...not sure about this but what the hell! Give me a guitar and I'll HAPPILY do 15 hours trying to get it perfect...with vocals I haven't got that luxury! That is because:

1. My voice won't improve as we go along!
2. I can't record vocals for SHIT (at the moment)
3. See no.1!

BUT as Pryo had done such a good job with a song I love, I thought I'd give it a go. FIRST MISTAKE! RULE 1...Never go with a song that is out of your range! No way I could record that top note he does in the chorus. I convinced myself I can sing it (because I do when I drive and hear it on the radio) but I HADN'T HEARD MY VOICE RECORDED TRYING FEEBLY TO DO IT!...RULE 2. Give up when you realise that it's NOT gonna work (it's all coming back to me now!) So this is CROWDED HOUSE' 'Dont Say It's Over'... RULE 3. Don't say your gonna post something BEFORE you've tried it, learnt it and recorded it to see if it's shit or not! Apologies!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: WAH-WAH SINGS \"Crowded House\"(against his better judgement) NO GUITAR!

i love that song! the vocals rocked man! you sing really well!

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts

Heh Heh , Chris i liked your post recording epitaph , very amusing but spot on . Ok where do we start on this one , well this is one of all time favourite tunes , and no matter how much we tried to gig it , like you said it was a bugger to perform , sounds easy on paper , if only . What i myself like here is that you had a go at this tune and from my side of the fence it was great . Your vocals are constant , and you can hear the vocal line clearly . by the way when i get over this flu i will sort out that Layla .........

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts

This really isn't bad. You are only noticeably straining on a few notes. In fact your delivery is good and your range is not bad either. This is as good as most pub/club tribute acts get.

In my experience it is a shock when you try and record vocals in a studio environment. what you can achieve live by bellowing at the top of your lungs with full control is in part driven by adrenalin and the sheer volume of the band around you. Actually, even in a car you can achieve this (providing you are on your own) because you don't feel self conscious.

In the studio you suddenly become very self conscious and hold back. you suddenly become aware of how you announce, in my case I sound like my nose is permanently blocked up
. Also you realise that the way you sing may actually make words hard to understand. Recording vocals is fucking horrible. You either have to be very good at being naked with your emotions or a complete arsehole
Most of the singers I have worked with have been the latter.

I don't know what you recorded the vocals through but they are a little bit thin (I am considering one of these http://www.dv247.com/invt/9212 because I have a similar problem). This is purely from a studio production angle though and I know you are building your own studio.

Back to the song - I have listen to it 4 times and I think you have done a cracking job - seriously. I just played it to the wife and she has walked away singing it
I know I am always heaping praise on you and it comes over like some sycophantic fool but I am not. If anything I more critical of your stuff because you can play so well.

My only suggestion would be to record your voice in such a way as to make it sound warmer. it sounds a bit like you have run it through a guitar fx processor and the eq is wrong - but that is just a guess.

Good stuff Chris!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

i think this is awesome chris,great vocals loved it, love this song

G

·

hey wahwah. great singing man!! i loved it.
i think you have pretty good voice. you should try it more often. thanks for doing this song. i didnt think i was ever gonna get anyone to attempt it.

great job man!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where do I start!? This was recorded thru the POD...Senheisser mic straight in and I used a mic setting I found on the Line6 site. I used the tights/coathanger thing to stop popping and added a little EQ to try and bring it out a bit. The levels were all over the place and I tried to back of the mic when I was going up an octave to not much success. Me and Geordie have our eyes on a mic pre-amp but I don't believe that will be all singing-all dancing! We need to use a desk obviously. At the moment this is the xt for all plugged in stuff and Cakewalk for all the editing...no outboard stuff or processors or what have you. I've got a load of songs I wanna try but need to get the confidence up to belt 'em out. Thanks for the comments tho...appreciated.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

Could do with a little more cowbell !!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Holy Crap! Not only is Wah-Wah a guitar god, the s.o.b. can sing too! !! Very nice job ...you WILL improve the more you sing and I'm hoping you post some more songs with you singing & playing...what a combo!
Way to go Chris!!
Draegon

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

great work chris..nothing that bad about the vocals man..keep at em..and great playing

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts

Great job all around.........pppfff vocals wont improve...that was a load of shehot

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts

Hey man! This is good stuff Whawha!!! Sounds like the singer very very closely....(I agree with what you said at the top of your post. Sometimes...it's deceptively easier sounding until you get into it). You did a great job seriously!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

This song makes me cry, and its doing it now! DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
Good
job
on
this!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

You're not an amazing singer, but its definitely not bad (yes, thats a compliment
) . Props to you for putting your singing up here. Singing is a far more personal thing to let people listen to than guitar playing.

G

·

Naw, Great Job! I know what you went through. The first few times I sang this song live, it was real complicated. On the chorus', I finally realised that falsetto was the way to go on the "Dream it's Over" line. After a few times live, it got pretty simple. We ended up doing this tune every night for about a year. It's not the easiest vocal tune. You did a great job!
By the way, thanks for the BT with vocal space on "Empty Rooms". Excellent guitar work!

G

·

Hey Chris... why not also post the the BT's without the vocals so others can give it a shot and see how complicated it is

Again, Great Job!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey, thanks for the honesty people...I'll never be Ronnie James Dio but I hope to be able to improve with a bit of confidence and some better recording technique.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

[ QUOTE ]
CoCoKid said:
Hey Chris... why not also post the the BT's without the vocals so others can give it a shot and see how complicated it is

Again, Great Job!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's already up mate...in the vocalist backing track forum

·
Registered
886 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
Hey, thanks for the honesty people...I'll never be Ronnie James Dio but I hope to be able to improve with a bit of confidence and some better recording technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all that you need for vocals. Confidence and better recording technique cos you already have a good voice. At least the piece is in tune and the vocals do sound sweet. Just a bit thin and low in the mix. Very good job and if it only gets better from here you will have everyone wanting vocals off you

1 - 20 of 35 Posts