Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one has been a REAL slog! I'm posting here because the backing track is apparently a guy called Jose Carlos Matos and the track is called "Let Me Tell You A Secret"... :dunno: I found it in my backers and thought, 'WOW! THAT is gonna take some work!' However, I don't know who the guy is or can't find his track so I've just 'filled' as I see fit! I'm calling it 'Urban Mantra' cos it sounds cool! It's a real chop and change affair...a definite journey and bloody hard to get all the changes perfect (well, for me anyway).

If anyone knows who Carlos is and has the original, I'd appreciate if I could get a listen to see what his song does compared to what I tried...I did this with a Andy Timmons track 'Cry For You' a coupla years ago and it was a real eye opener when I finally heard the original.

For reference, this was using the Wolfgang tuned to D thru the XT using me old trusted 'Gary Moore' setting...I'd be lost without it!

:thumb:

UPDATE...PODGOD SOLVED THE MYSTERY! CHEERS MATE!

·
I'm getting signals!
1,086 Posts
This is great Chris...you knew I'd like this 'cos I love the stupid noises you can get out of a FR trem.

Really nice easy-paced rhythm to it which lends itself to a lot of different syncopated rhythms over the top...so you took advantage of that.

The other thing that is so blatantly obvious with the stuff you post is how clean you play. I dont mean tone, I mean placement of fingers, every note rings out. I'm no where near that and hide behind distortion to cover up the duff notes. Really beautifully played Chris. I need to turn the volume down and start playing Mark Knopfler. :(

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimmerwoo said:
This is great Chris...you knew I'd like this 'cos I love the stupid noises you can get out of a FR trem.

Really nice easy-paced rhythm to it which lends itself to a lot of different syncopated rhythms over the top...so you took advantage of that.

The other thing that is so blatantly obvious with the stuff you post is how clean you play. I dont mean tone, I mean placement of fingers, every note rings out. I'm no where near that and hide behind distortion to cover up the duff notes. Really beautifully played Chris. I need to turn the volume down and start playing Mark Knopfler. :(
Thanks Jimmy but if I told you how many takes it took (I was making the parts up as I went along...it's the way I always write guitar instrumental stuff...it's slow and laborious and I can easily do 500 takes!!!), you wouldn't think I was the cleanest player...I just do it and redo it until I don't feel the need to erase it and do it again. I started this at 9.00pm last night and worked til about midnight. Then from 11.30 this morning for two hours. So 5 hours just to put some guitar down! This is why I don't do a lot of complete songs...I'm never 100% about what I've done.

Thanks for the listen mate...and check out the original on the link PODGOD put up. Scary how close some of it is without me ever hearing it!

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
I really like the way you are painting notes all over this backing, mate. This is brilliant. It has some Vai vibe to it, with certain phrasing and the harmonizing.

Of course the ol Gary Moore tone is perfect for this. Thanks a bunch for a great piece of music, mate!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
all i can say is that who ever that guy is and what ever song it is, you really played it beautifully. gary moore called and wants his tone back. i agree you played it so cleanly and the wammy work was just fantastic. yes it may have taken you a while to do it but it was worth it and i wouldn't even attempt it. excellent post chris.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks CC, eamon, Megondeth...it's funny CC cos I know ZERO Vai...except for one phrase! And everytime I put it in, I get comments about it sounding like Vai!!! Tabbed out it would be the following:

e ......17....14...................................................
B....................15............................................
G.........................14....11................................
D......................................12..........................
A............................................12....9.............
E.......................................................10.......

I've no idea if it IS a Vai lick I just figured it out after hearing him do something on the 'EEAS' album. If you look you'll see the D shape, the E major shape and part of the G at the very end!

Thanks for listening all...much appreciated. :thumb:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
supercharged 350 said:
Wow, great song. I really like the contrast between the solo neck p/u tone and the harmony parts. Great technique as always Chris. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:
Thanks MuRpH, SC350...those pickups are the BEST I've ever heard mate. Never known a guitar give amazing feedback with the wahwah pedal on the NECK pup but this one does! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,

First of all... I thinks it's fantastic how this backing track has surfaced in places all over the world... it surely has travelled a lot! :)
As you can Imagine by now, I'm José Carlos Matos (JCM) and found this link on my website's stats. I've heard the mp3 Chris and I think you've done a great job creating interesting harmonic phrasings and you've revealed yourself as an energetic guitar player, full of speed, preciseness and fire! Cheers to that!!!

I had to register to hear the version and I might as well get back time to time to chat. Thanks for the credit on the mp3 - you were a true gentlemen!

keep well mate(s)!
JCM

http://www.josecarlosmatos.com

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JCM said:
Hello guys,

First of all... I thinks it's fantastic how this backing track has surfaced in places all over the world... it surely has travelled a lot! :)
As you can Imagine by now, I'm José Carlos Matos (JCM) and found this link on my website's stats. I've heard the mp3 Chris and I think you've done a great job creating interesting harmonic phrasings and you've revealed yourself as an energetic guitar player, full of speed, preciseness and fire! Cheers to that!!!

I had to register to hear the version and I might as well get back time to time to chat. Thanks for the credit on the mp3 - you were a true gentlemen!

keep well mate(s)!
JCM

http://www.josecarlosmatos.com
WOW! The power of the internet! At 9pm last night I dug this backer out that I hadn't noticed (I download loads as I teach but I don't always get round to playing it all!) and I thought it was total class. But (and no disrespect to you my friend) I didn't know whether it was the artist or the person who had made the backer...all I knew was it was a VERY difficult track to try and work with cos it changed all the time. I gotta say Jose, I spent an AGE trying to fill the gaps in the harmonic minor section and was feeling pretty good about it until POD GOD showed me the link to your website!!! Then I got to listen to the real thing and I was BLOWN away!

This is JUST amazing to have the guy who wrote the piece leave a comment!!! If the internet is good for somethings, it's the way that you can interact and meet new people in the flash of an eye!!!

Jose, you have made a new fan today and I am chuffed to bits that you got to hear what I put down as, until I heard your version, I had NO idea whether this was in a similar vein.

Awesome...I have a BIG smile from ear-to-ear!!!

Welcome to the site!!! :thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
checked this out earlier and got side tracked by pm discussions. I really liked it and loved the spontaneity that is here (even given wahwahs confession about multiple takes). The fact is has JCM's seal of approval is even better. 5 Stars once again Chris .. this is getting to be a habit :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.