Votes: 9 47.4%
  • keihan

Votes: 10 52.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was the first song I recorded after a lengthy lay-off in 2002. I'd pretty much sold all my gear and all I had left was my old faithful Squier. A friend pulled me out of my malaise and I started again. I tried a Line6 Flextone II xl combo and bought it. Took it home and wailed for a few hours. Then I found this backer and thought I'd give it a go as the amp had a line-in. I ''know'' the song but not like axeshredder or verga who will learn a song like this inside out. I went from memory and what I didn't know I filled as I went along! There's a cracking wrong note about 2/3rd's thru but I ain't gonna change it cos it marked me coming back to playing!

Looking forward to hearing keihan's. Good luck mate. :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Starry Night

Nice friggn job my friend. Great riffs there.. as always :D

Good luck!

Aye been there with the layoffs.. just came back to playing about 5 months ago from a 3 yr layoff. It suckked as I fumbeled for the right friggn notes all the time for the first few months.. ughh. Then realized arthritis had taken hold over the layoff period too... Gettin better though ;)

Have been recording this while I learn it ..LOL! So, some of the end I ad libbed...

I did the rythym sections too, but the near the end, the amp gain seemed too hot so I toned it down so it is a bit cleaner sounding.

Here is Starry Night:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful playing mate...great tone and feel. I don't really know the song (a shame cos I rate Satch really high but I haven't kept in touch with his stuff for a few years now...my loss!).

Good to hear you back and doing the business...great stuff. :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
wahwah said:
Beautiful playing mate...great tone and feel. I don't really know the song (a shame cos I rate Satch really high but I haven't kept in touch with his stuff for a few years now...my loss!).

Good to hear you back and doing the business...great stuff. :thumb:
Thanks.. a helluva compliment coming from you, bro since I really look up to your playing hehe.

Aye, I'm glad I'm back too. Didn't know how much I missed playing until now ;)

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
keihan said:
Thanks.. a helluva compliment coming from you, bro since I really look up to your playing hehe.

Aye, I'm glad I'm back too. Didn't know how much I missed playing until now ;)
Well, yer winning 4-0 at the moment so it looks like the break did ya good! :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Wow... I guess so LOL!

I'm always my own worst critic hehe.

Thanks all for listening and voting.

This is really goin fast... usually these seem to take a lot longer

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really enjoyed both (and love both Satch songs) ... you both played great with an awesome tone ... but something in wahwah's playing of Rubina captured me ... so much feeling there man. :bowdown:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Both beautiful jobs guys, It's really to close for me to decide, Wah you know how much I love and respect your playing, and knowing the story behind this tune just makes it better.Keihan, great job too, some great licks in there and nice tones.

I''m just gonna wimp out and abstain from voting in this one, that way I can just sit back and enjoy both of them, thanks guys.:jam: :rock:

·
I GARAWWWNTEE!!!!!
1,810 Posts
Two very classy renditions guys....... I am in agreement with the many who are saying "how to choose" :scratch: . I can only say that, incredible job both, may the most votes win.....:bowdown: :bowdown::icon_peac

·
Registered
299 Posts
outstandig ,guys :bowdown: , went with keihan , i think he had so much feeling in his take but chris's was very close and as always fantastic aswell. *cant--click--stop.........*

·
Registered
410 Posts
Both did an excellent job but I guess I have to vote to make this battle worthy!

I went with Wah on this one. Rubina is one of my favorite Satch song and Wah played it nicely with his own recipe mixed in.

Keihan your rendition is very good and I really enjoyed listening to it.:thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Thanks everyone for listening and voting (once again) :D

gtarxtrm,

Rubina is one of my favorites as well and I love Chris's rendition. I listened to it over and over last night and burned it to CD.

I have been giving a listen to "Parisienne Walkways" lately and thinking of doing a version of it as tribute to the late Mr. Lynott

We'll see how that turns out after I come back from vacation ;)

I grew up in Nashville, TN and going there for a visit to my best friend from high school whom I haven't seen in about 15 years or so.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Both beautiful. But I have to go with Wahwah on this.

Chris 2:34 - wtf? manic vibrato!! Love it.

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Wow! I love close battles ;)

Thanks everyone for listening and voting and thanks to Chris (Wahwah) for accepting the challenge!

I really thought I was gonna lose this one LOL, but when it started out 5-0, I was simply shocked! I didn't really care one way or the other... I truly enjoy listening to everyone else and this battle forum has helped me, in many ways, to get back into the game that I so sorely have missed. I am merely using this as a medium which forces me to practice more often and to follow through with learning certain scores in their entirety (otherwise I'd learn just the portions that appealed to me..hehe)

As for Chris, sheeesh... what can I say... "Guitar god" :bowdown: LOL! Keep rocking everyone. :bannana_g

1 - 19 of 19 Posts