Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna buy a Peavey Classic 30. Everything is perfect about it, except maybe the weight and size of it. How is the size compared to a Roland Cube 30? Anyone recommend a smaller tube amp, 30 watts, good tone? Or should I forget about size and get the Peavey Classic 30, cause it's a damn tone box.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Peavey Classic 30

IMO, I'd take the Peavey Classic 30. I wouldn't even compare it to the Roland Cube 30. ( Don't get me wrong guys, Roland Cube 30 is not bad) If that's too heavey for you, Try the Peavey Valveking 112. It's awesome, I know, I have it. You can play it in the Bedroom or Apt living room and you can plug in a 412cab if you wanna get really loud. For me, Tube tube tube !! CHEERS!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I was comparing the Cube 30 and Classic 30 in terms of size. I know that tubes > ss anytime. I think I'll get the Classic 30. I'm not gonna be in a small band all my life anyway.

Also, how does an attenuator affect my tone? Is it possible to reduce my volume to 1 without affecting tone? I know that all Tube amps sound the best cranked, and 30 watts tube is VERY loud. So, will it affect my tone, for example, if I have Master Volume at about 10, then use an attenuator to reduce it to 1?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peavy, and Power

Hey All,
I've used the Peavy for gigs. It is a great sounding amp. I was going to purchase one and started checking out other amps, and settled on a VOX.
The VOX AD50VT.
Maybe I just love the amp, but I would highly reccomend checking one out.
It utilizes one 12AX7 tube on a small circuit and feeds an output transformer.
It got a very warm "tubey" sound. It's also a modeling amp, with each amp definable, and some neccessary on board effects.
For you, my friend, it also has a power dial on the back which adjusts the overall power level. So you can dial it down and crank your knobs and get a nice warm sound even at low volumes.
I too was really set on the peavy 30, but went for the VOX.

Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
Classic 30's are great, another option is the Delta Blues (15" speaker jobby), gives an interesting variation :) I'd also recommend the Crate V30 series, great cleans and tasty overdrive :)

If you're worried about cranking, see if you can find a Classic 20 (2nd hand?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts