Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all, i been pretty quiet for a long while on here, but i been lurking in here quite a bit...... i just want to ask you guys a question.... what do you guys think of the squier strats guitars?.... i just ordered one from musiciansfriend.com, im really not a guitar player, im a keyboard player, but i enjoy just sitting in front of the tv noodling on the guitar.... anyways i know you guys are all serious collectors and stuff, but are these a piece of junk or what? to me it looks cool and i just hope its decent enough and not all crackly and crappy sounding... i also got a fender 15G frontman amp..... check out these pics of them.... i just like the sunburst color really :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Squiers of today are damn fine guitars, made in Japan and Mexico to cut costs but from what I've read, the body and necks are made from the same mill that makes the USA Fenders. Squier has cheaper pickups and wiring but even so, its still a top notch guitar and will sound great. I have 3 import guitars and I love them all. You made a great choice in my opinion. Squier makes custom guitars and basses that rival anything out there. I once owned a Japanese Fender Strat and I installed a Seymour Duncan single-coil humbucker pickup and that guitar was a monster and I played live gigs with it.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
i've never owned a squire strat so to say , but i've played a few in my time of friends and in guitar shops and in reality they aint that bad !

i think we're pretty lucky these days in terms of "cheap" instruments ,

you buy a cheap guitar back in the day and it would be pretty mcuh unplayable but japanese guitars are so efficiently made they do the job and at a fraction of the cost . . are they gonna sound as good as a real fender strat ? of course not .. .but for the price they are great guitars .. nice pickup :)

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
i agree with these 2 dudes . squiers and low budget guitars in general have come a long way . don't expect to be blown over by it . but it should do the job until perhaps you want to start playing at a more serious level . the tone will probably be a little weak but that possibly tinny considering the pickups aren't very strong and the 15 watt amp may not help matters . but a lil tweaking could see you get a decent tone and it shouldn't hurt your fingers too much lol . you could always tune down to standard D tuning to make it easier to play and get more low end . for the price of what you got mate .. you got good stuff . thats for sure . so good luck with it and lets hear it when you get time to record lol

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there...i had one of the first ones made...it was just like hendrix's woodstock strat...big fat headstock too...made in japan...the neck was a little narrower than a u.s. strat...but that would suit a beginner or someone with smaller hands...
i ran into a fender rep in a music store and asked why they never released a hendrix signature model (this was when they only put out an yngvie malmsteen and jeff beck or clapton model)...he told me they did put out a hendrix model...that it was the white squire with the big fat headstock...but they never placed his name on it...
i loved that guitar...it never went out of tune and sounded awesome...i was forced tp trade it in on a dream amp...a marshall stack signed by jim marshall...i wound up buying a 70's re-issue strat just like the hendrix woodstock one because i missed the squire...that...and...i'm a bit of a hendrix freak...
i've had the opportunity to try the new squires...made in china...the hardware was literally falling off or caving in to the pickguard...i'll pass...thanks you very much...if you can find an older well worn one...i say...go for it... :icon_thum

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Squier... it's not a bad a guitar, but it picks up buzz bad and I need to rewire the thing. The frets are wearing down, but thats just from playing it alot. Other than that, it's still very playable.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Same as slimshady...mine's 1986 from Japan, plays like a dream but needs a re-wire as it's noisy in 3 of the 5 postitons. Got a Seymour Hotrails in the bridge which makes it sound great...other pickups sound like Fenders. The neck is great...wouldn't swop it for anything-had it too long and it would be missed.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
ive played squiers in shops before.. most of them are very playable and tone is not bad.. the only thing not so good is probably the quality of hardware and bridge...
i mite consider buying a really cheap squier strat and hot rodding it with pickups, whammy etc...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gutwrench there's not a thing wrong with Squire guitars. My avatar is a Squire Telecaster Custom and it's a great guitar. I've changed out the pickups on it to give it a little more oomph. It plays just as good as any tele and for a lot less money. Enjoy yours! :icon_peac

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine is Indonesian made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts