Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm sitting around work one day pretending to be productive (thank you Mr. Dell Laptop) and I was wondering what happened to a lot of the bands I grew up with in the wild and wacky 1980's. After a two hour coffee break, I came back to the computer and decided to do something about it - that something being starting this thread. Every week or so I'll highlight a band that has seemingly fallen off the face of the earth and I'll highlight them here. Some of these bands were great, some were horrible, and some were just average - but it's always fun catching up with old friends, not to mention the opportunity for me to make pithy comments. :notme:

So, without further adieu, the first band highighted will be:

STYPER

Many of you remember this as the first (and only to my knowledge) metal Christian group. I did a little internet digging (trust me, it wasn't hard) and found some information on the old "Yellow and Black Attack". The below is paraphrased from their website. Enjoy the mediocrity!

Stryper stands for Salvation Through Redemption Yielding Peace, Encouragement and Righteousness. The Isaiah 53:5 under their logo is the bible verse that states "by His stripes we are healed". The band earned their stripes on the Los Angeles metal club circuit and in 1984, after recruiting bass player Tim Gaines, signed with Enigma Records and released their debut mini-album, The Yellow And Black Attack.

Their first full-length release, Soldiers Under Command, sold over half a million units worldwide in the eighties, and stayed on Billboard's Top 200 album chart for over forty weeks. In addition to the hard-rocking tunes that Stryper's core audience has come to expect, the ballad "Honestly" from their platinum selling 1986 release To Hell With The Devil hit the Top-40 charts. The video for "Honestly" rapidly became the number one most-requested video on MTV. 1988 saw the near-platinum release of In God We Trust, as well as renewed success on MTV, which was bombarded by thousands of phone requests for "Always There For You". (editors note - I mean, was MTV REALLY bombarded? My guess is no so it would appear that Stryper has committed the sin of lying).

Coming off the acclaim of the 1989 tour supporting In God We Trust, the band released Against The Law which shipped gold in the fall of 1990. Despite its sales success, some fans were confused by Stryper's change in appearance and lyrics. This lead to numerous rumors and questions about the sincerity of Stryper's faith. "We were making a grab for musical freedom," says Robert Sweet, Stryper's drummer. "But we never should have let that been misinterpreted as a change in our beliefs."

In 1991, Enigma Records went bankrupt, and Stryper was left without a record company. This was short-lived, as they were quickly picked up by Hollywood Records. In the summer of 1991 they released Can't Stop The Rock, a "best of" album with two new tracks.

In January of 1992, Michael Sweet left the Stryper to pursue a solo career. Although officially Robert Sweet, Oz Fox and Tim Gaines continued as a three piece for another year, there were no further studio recordings as Stryper once Mike left.

Michael Sweet was the first to re-appear back on the scene, when he secured a record deal with the Christian label Benson Records. This union produced two albums: the self titled Michael Sweet, and Real. In 1998, Mike put out a full length demo by himself titled Truth. This generated label interest, and he was soon signed to Restless Records. The remastered and updated version of Truth was released early in 2001.

Tim Gaines and Robert Sweet joined legendary Christian guitar player Rex Carrol in the band King James. Although King James released two releases to date, Tim and Bob only performed on the first album which was released in 1994 on the Christian label Star Song.

Absent from the limelight for many years was Oz Fox, who last was seen making guest appearances on several Christian releases including JC & The Boyz, Bride, and Ransom. Oz and Tim joined forces once again in 1995 to form Sin Dizzy. Together with Bobby MacNeil on guitar and John Bocanegra on drums, they released He's Not Dead in 1998.

Robert Sweet released his solo release titled Love Trash in 2000, in which he plays all the instruments on the album and features Larry Worley on vocals. (Ex-lead singer of Christian rock band Fear Not.) Robert recently formed Blissed with fellow members David Pearson, Trevor Barr, and Jeff Miller. Their album, Waking Up The Dead, was released in early 2003.

On May 21st of 2000, history was made when Stryper hit the stage again for an informal jam at the first annual Stryper expo in New Jersey. December 16th of 2000 marked the first full blown set preformed by Stryper in 9 years, held in Costa Rica. The second annual Stryper expo was held in Azusa, California on May 18th and 19th of 2001. The two day expo featured multiple bands and vendors, with Stryper closing the expo with a concert. Shortly after, Stryper played to one of their largest crowds at Cornerstone at Bushnell, Illinois on July 7th, 2001. (editors note - i'm not sure this really qualifies as historic but I'll roll with it)

On March 25th of 2003, Hollywood Records released Seven, The Best Of Stryper that included 2 new songs (Something and For You). That fall, they embarked on a 35 city tour that both fans and critics agreed was one of the hottest tours of 2003. In March of 2004, Stryper triumphantly returned to Puerto Rico to play a sold out show that was recorded for a DVD release scheduled to come out later in the year. The prayers of Stryper fans everywhere were answered in May of 2003 with the new live CD recording titled 7 Weeks: Live In America.

The reuinted Stryper will release their much anticipated new studio album will hit the streets on August 16th, 2005. The album will be available in stores everywhere. (Editors note: Is this REALLY "much anticipated"? My guess is no but who am I to judge?)

And that, my curious friends, is the tale of Stryper. I don't know if this was interesting, sad, humorous or some combination of all the above. If you have a band you want highlighted in this particular medium, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A friend of mine and I went to the reunion tour show in Austin in '03. The show was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. The sound was huge, loud and those guys are superb musicians. Mike's vocals were top notch. They look nothing like they did in the 80's..I prefer the images of them below:

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
I was looking at some old issues of Hit Parader..I found one with Stryper on the cover..Its from 1988....

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Man, these guys were one of the worst bands ever. Just like most "Christian" bands, they just sucked something aweful. I bought one of their records way back...listened to it once and threw it away.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
nroberts said:
Man, these guys were one of the worst bands ever. Just like most "Christian" bands, they just sucked something aweful. I bought one of their records way back...listened to it once and threw it away.
We know you hate bands like this man..we get it already! :irk: You don't have to respond to these posts if all you're going to do is bash these bands bro. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean much...its your opinion. Millions do like it and no real guitarist, drummer etc, can deny the fact that these guys are great musicians solely because they are Christians or had big hair at one time. If you haven't seen them live lately, you have no basis for comment. Geez.

There was no need at all to bash this post. It gets old.

I'm not ashamed either to admit I'm a Christian or that I like Stryper. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Riff Addict said:
We know you hate bands like this man..we get it already! :irk: You don't have to respond to these posts if all you're going to do is bash these bands bro. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean much...its your opinion. Millions do like it and no real guitarist, drummer etc, can deny the fact that these guys are great musicians solely because they are Christians or had big hair at one time. If you haven't seen them live lately, you have no basis for comment. Geez.

There was no need at all to bash this post. It gets old.

I'm not ashamed either to admit I'm a Christian or that I like Stryper. :thumb:
Bash what post? I thought I bashed Stryper.

I don't deny they were great musicians /because/ they were Christian, I said they sucked. Most "Christian" bands suck. Correlative, not causative. I haven't quite figured out why but they just seem to be missing soul. Many great bands are Christian, in that that is the beliefs of their members and much of what they sing about is along those lines, but most bands that sell themselves under the heading of "Christian band" just suck. Anything "approved" by Pastor Bob is almost guaranteed to suck big time. The only band that comes from that "genre", if you can call it that, was (is?) Tourniquet, a very good *metal* band.

And I never said anything about hair...ever.

Anyway, What....ev....er. :icon_roll

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
nroberts said:
Bash what post? I thought I bashed Stryper.

I don't deny they were great musicians /because/ they were Christian, I said they sucked. Most "Christian" bands suck. Correlative, not causative. I haven't quite figured out why but they just seem to be missing soul. Many great bands are Christian, in that that is the beliefs of their members and much of what they sing about is along those lines, but most bands that sell themselves under the heading of "Christian band" just suck. Anything "approved" by Pastor Bob is almost guaranteed to suck big time. The only band that comes from that "genre", if you can call it that, was (is?) Tourniquet, a very good *metal* band.

And I never said anything about hair...ever.

Anyway, What....ev....er. :icon_roll
There are more tactful and respectful ways to render an opinion of a band that you may not like. Your 80's band bashing is just a bit too harsh and its as if you're just looking to start sh*t? The term or label "Metal" was a very BROAD and over generalized term that included a wide array of 80's bands that sure, may not be considered Metal by some, but its all hard rock to me anyways. I like Priest and Maiden, and I like Dokken and Def Leppard...and Stryper...and Testament....and Exodus....and Bon Jovi... Its all in the same category which is simply harder than mainstream rock that makes me feel good when I listen to it..thats all that matters.

So you think Stryper isn't a heavy band? Hmm....would you rather listen to Duran Duran or Madonna? :dunno: Stryper in concert was louder and heavier sounding than Metallica or other Metal shows I've seen. The dual harmonized lead guitar work reminded me of Queensryche or Maiden. That ain't no Sh*t.

Why do you insist on bashing bands that we already know you hate? Thats all dude.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Riff Addict said:
Stryper isn't a heavy band? Hmm....would you rather listen to Duran Duran or Madonna? :dunno:
Definately.

Why do you insist on bashing bands that we already know you hate?
I really doubt you know my tastes as well as you think you do. :smirk:

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Okay, knock this off, we know you hate this stuff but it doesn't mean it's got to be voiced in every thread you hate. This is a perfectly good thread that does not need to be ruined, please take it offline to PM's from here.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
I had a friend who was really into them, he was always trying to get me like them, I never really got into their music, but I always thought the striped look was cool in my younger day.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm with Rythameen on this one, never really got into but, if we all liked the same thing it would be a mighty dull world!! Glad to see someone trackin' down the MIA's anyway!! :thumb:

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Supersonic said:
if we all liked the same thing it would be a mighty dull world!!
...I so agree with you there!..:thumb:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Supersonic said:
I'm with Rythameen on this one, never really got into but, if we all liked the same thing it would be a mighty dull world!! Glad to see someone trackin' down the MIA's anyway!! :thumb:
Exactly what I meant, you were just more eloquent. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used to make all kinds of fun of them with my friends (who also hated them), but... seceretly.. in my car.. when WSOU (the greatest college radio station on the face of the planet back in the 80's-90's) would play them.... yeah... I'd sing along... LOUD.. oh, & I'm a jew... lmao!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
FWIW... I believe 'Roxx Regime' was the first Christian metal band... that band of course was the primordial Stryper with the Sweet brothers and I think Rick Martinez aka "Oz Foxx".

Personally, I liked a couple of Stryper's band members more than I did the band.... not that I didn't/don't like Stryper. Anyhow, I remember seeing Tim a LOT of times back when he worked a local now-defunct music store in my hood...*cough*Hanich*cough*... early-mid 80s which I often frequented. Since he was such a soft-spoken, non-egotistical kinda guy, I honestly didn't even know Tim was in Stryper, until he brought his trademark yellow/black striped bass amps in the store... then I made the connection... :eek: They hadn't quite made it big yet but I knew they were on to something "different"...

Though I didn't see Stryper very often... I did see "Oz" by himself at local shows and major concerts in the mid 80s... just as a fan hanging out and enjoying the show like I was. Later in the early 90s, he used to come by to see a good friend of mine's cover band play... he would sometimes join them onstage and apparently after a couple years he took over my friend's guitar playing position in it.

Although I haven't seen either one in at least 10-15, in Tim's case perhaps 20 years, I think both Tim and "Oz" are really Good guys... and very good musicians... *IMO*.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Wip, I saw this band live once. Some friends had an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to go. I wasn't into them but thought it would be cool to hang. I was glad I decided to go because it was a great show. I may not like certain genres of music but I can always appreciate the talents of a good musician. This band was a lot more talented than others from this era.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you haven't seen them live, especially this past year on their reunion tour then you missed an amazing metal show. These guys rocked, my jaw was on the floor most of the night watching Oz and Michael trade harmony solos all night and Mike's vocals were superb with a range that reminded me of Halford's ear shattering highs. I was floored and I didn't want the show to end.:icon_peac

·
Incognito Wanderer
105 Posts
I was too young to remember these guys when they were on Mtv. But I've seen some of their videos on VH1 classic. I think they have some skills, and well...they're kinda cool. I don't care much that they were Christian, it makes no difference to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts