Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a ratty old Squire for only about eight years now, and that's fine, it's kind of like an old friend now. The only thing is I've never had any effects pedals so it's always sounded very coarse on whatever amp I'm working with. Well... my birthday is coming up (on Thanksgiving, in fact) and I decided that it's pedal time. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should go for... I'm looking for a real sexy sound; sharp but not abrasive; basically, gorgeous. Any suggestions on how I could best get this sound? How can I rock?

-Many Thanks,
Brennan

·
Registered
245 Posts
What kind of amp are you using? That's going to have a lot to do with how your axe sounds. A nice amp will do wonders for your sound. As for pedals, you can get a really nice smooth drive out of a Tubescreamer, but you've pretty much got to have a nice amp in the first place to make it work (screamers are designed to push the tubes, they just can't do their thing properly on a solid state amp). There are a number of nice low wattage tube combos you can get for a very reasonable price. Epiphone makes the Valve Jr. and it's definitely worth a look. Last time I checked they were running around $200 Cdn. I love my Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal, but it may be a but dirtier than what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It might be a little late, but I have had my Digitech RP250 for two years and it is the best thing I ever bought. For $150 US, you get thousands of dollars worth of amp models, distortions, EQs, delays, reverbs, phasers, flangers, wahs and anything else you could possibly need.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Agree with all the above.

Pickups would be a good place to start.

Again what Amp are you using?

Do you want a multi effect pedal or just a distortion pedal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts