Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good Canadian buddy of mine holds on to the dream of Dave's return to Van Halen. It is sort of like expecting it to snow in Sydney at Xmas time. Even so, lets play a little "what if" game.

Imagine, if you will, DLR is announced as the singer of the band. Sammy is gone and a new tour is announced. As many fans would be happy with this news, there are of course many fans who are very fond of both eras catalogue of tunes and would hate to see the Sammy material dumped from this tour. So I ask all of you, what Sammy era songs do you feel that David Lee Roth could sing and make a good fist of?
Here are a few I feel that DLR could do and do well. Maybe not sing as Sammy, but put his own stamp on them.

1. Good Enough.
2. Up For Breakfast
3. Finish What you Started
4. Amsterdam

Slings and arrows welcome.
:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'd say Black and Blue, but then again songs like:

-In 'N' Out
-Runaround
-Inside

...among others. But that wouldn't ride. :shame: :thumbsdow That's my opinion.

·
Guy who says Habutashi
393 Posts
I went through every song in my head and the only three I could hear Dave's voice on were these:
Humans Being
Good Enough
Finish What Ya Started

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
When Roth recorded those songs for their last VH reunion, at first I thought it was Sammy singing. Actually I could hear Roth doing "Finish what you started".

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I agree with Roy. I mean Dave can't even hit the high notes in some of his songs, so I can't see him singing Sam stuff.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
1) why can't this be love
2) finish
3) black and blue
4) can't stop lovin you
DLR rules!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
SuckaIn3Piece said:
I agree with Roy. I mean Dave can't even hit the high notes in some of his songs, so I can't see him singing Sam stuff.
Oh, after lurking at the army for two weeks I'm almost sure DLR can sing opera or whatever he wants to :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
flair said:
1) why can't this be love
4) can't stop lovin you
DLR rules!!!
:wtf:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I was in a DLR era VH tribute band called Unchained and we got asked at many gigs to do Sammy songs. My answer was that it wouldn't work because you've never heard Dave sing 'em so you wouldn't know how to react. Sammy singing Dave songs HAS happened but I wouldn't want to be doing stuff by a band that hasn't been done by THE BAND themselves...it'd be too damn wierd. Two great era's and two great singers...but I'm sure the Roth Army will disagree.

·
Registered
118 Posts
over the past year, being at VHStrungout, I've pretty much decided that it is best to just overlook the Roth Army, as they are set in thier ways, and don't give a dang about what others think... Thier way, or you're getting bashed for your comments. Kinda that 3% of VH fans you know what I mean... (always 3% that ruin things for everyone else)

G

·
Different folkes got different voices

Hi Guys & Girls, I'm still in the VH tribute band Unchained, that both Wahwah and Geordie were in, I used to be the bassist but currently sing as DLR and can't imagine trying to sing any Sammy stuff. Although Dave has some great screams (trying to get that broken voice box tone is bloody difficult) he does generally sing a lot lower than Sammy. Geordie probably could've pulled off the Sammy stuff far easier than I could (seeing that he's not a DLR fan:scif890:, the cats out of the bag now Geordie, do they know you want to be Ronnie :rock: Dio), I know my limitations trying to imitate one great singer is enough. I can't imagine Dave ever wanting to sing a Sammy tune either, not cause they're not good songs (some are great) but I think professional pride and all of that would be a deciding factor.

See you guys at the gig on Saturday!

·
Registered
141 Posts
He couldnt do an of them justice. Sammy a singer, dave is more of a showman. But like someone else said, dave dont have the range or power Sammy has in his voice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts