Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I've been looking for a good guitar forum for a long time, but the ones I find hardly have any new posts on a daily basis until this one.

Trying to get a feel for the crowd... What style(s)/type of music do you play?

I'm pretty much a full-fledged rocker. I sometimes piddle in tech rock, neo-classical, jazz, and classical, but they don't normally hit the spot. :irock:

·
Classic Rock Revivalist
138 Posts
Hmmm...basically these are the ingredients to what my style of playing is. Out of 10 parts.
-4 Parts Rock (Classic, Progressive, Psychedelic, British)
-3 Parts Blues (Delta, British, and Texas)
-2 Parts Soul (Funk and R&B)
-1 Part Randomness (1/3 Classical, 1/3 Old School Metal, 1/3 Country)

I'm basically a Blues-Rocker...But there's other stuff I dabble in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Im mainly a rock player, but im trying to learn jazz. Ive stolen alot from my heroes. Mainly Satriani, EJ, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons so i kinda sound like all of them fused together with my own little quirks of course. i dunno......all i know is i have TONS of room for improvement:nod:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shredder, I couldn't tell from your name.

Even Joe Pass could have improved on some aspect of the guitar. Well, maybe not.

I have deep dark flaws in my guitar playing that I will never expose. Hehe... Therefore I play to my strengths.

Man, what's the best learn to shred video you've seen. I've tried Frank Gambale's Chop Builder, Berklee Chop Shop, and Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills 2. Or is there something wrong with me?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i mainly play 80s hard rock and metal, although i also am into some of the new death and doom metal out there today.

My style is mostly blues oriented hard rock, mainly because i listen to so much of Slash and Angus Youngs playing.
Im starting to get into country now, i grew up on it so i thought might as well learn some of it:brittish:

·
The People's Mod
526 Posts
I guess you would say Im a general rock guitarist. But, I do love to play the 80's style stuff and to get flashy every once in a while. I also love to play prog rock stuff. Single note picking and flowing up and down scales to make a nice sound. Blues is also a nice thing to do simply because a. I like blues and b. I learned blues stuff first on guitar.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hard Rock *70's - 80's Mostly*
Classic Rock *60's - 70's Mostly*
Older metal *70's -1989*

... yeah basically I play anything rock like from the years 1965 to 1989, nothing else ;).

·
Classic Rock Revivalist
138 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
bluesman, are you into that crazy underground garage blues rock stuff?
None of that rings a bell with me...I can't say I've heard any of it...Throw a couple of names at me so I can go and check their tunes out. Peace,
Bluesman

·
Registered
222 Posts
that's an interesting question. Well, I was a shredder/rocker in HS (84-88) became a shred/jazz head at Berklee 89-90 so it was Steve Morse, Mike Stern, Scott Henderson and all the guys in the Varney Stable (T Mac has been a fav of mine since Insanity), since then, Ive gone soft, or better, more mellow and rounded like a good full bodied cup of coffee. I love 'em all, Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Stev Vai, Skolnick, Zakk, Pass and on and on, and on (*including some of the new guys who am slowly getting introduced to)
So basically I guess I'm no help to your cause :) I'm all over the map, i try to dig it all, bottom line, if you play and you play from the heart, I'll listen and try to dig it, may not be my cup of tea but your out doing it and that is what music is all about

)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Arndee said:
Metal, hard rock, blues

... jazz (don't we all ;)).

LOL....well I think we all play blues (in some form or another), I like to play rock in all degrees of hardness from ballad type stuff to metal (I think I have a more old school approach). I've been practicing jazz fusion here and there and I like playing funk type stuff too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Although I stink, I would have to say I'm a power metaller, lots of power chords with lots of pinch harmonics :grin: I do like to play some punk/emo stuff though like Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41 etc ..no country, blues or jazz for me ..I need face melting distortion to hide my skilllessness :) ..and welcome to the board

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.