Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Although thats a tad beyond my abilities, I think the man is using the Diminished Apreggios of Satan con Little Sweepy Things technique.

All I can really tell you is to:

1) Learn diminished.

2) Learn to sweep the diminished

3) Dream in diminished

4) Eat your Wheaties

5) Pray to god

Yep, thats about it. Sorry, I've yet to really come across any great arpeggio instructional booklets or sites.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gambale often uses diminished as well as harmonic and melodic minor scales/chord scales in his playing (he uses the super locrian extensively). The technique is a way to incorporate sweep picking into scalular play, he calls it economy picking. Great if you have trouble with the outside/inside alternate picking a la Paul Gilbert. Gambale has several books and videos that cover his approach. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only way to master sweep picking is going VERY slowly until you have the basic mechanics down. Rearranging your fingering of various scales so there are adjacent notes and positions where you can barre with your first finger is essential as well. It's a technique that is best used sparingly to my ears. The results don't really balance out the time it takes master. Learning cool songs and defining your own voice are a better use of practice time for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
Here's Frank Gambale playing Dangerous Curves. Notice around 2:02 he starts playing a style that sounds like Mario Bros or something. Anyone know where I can learn this technique?

http://www.youtube.com/v/w1MquRso_4I :runaway:
Those are downward sweeps, played in a progression. I can't tell the interval he is using after only listening to it one time, but I could figure it out in a day or two.

All I can tell you is to learn sweep picking. You'll be able to cover large intervals really fast. Just about any advanced heavy metal book or video will cover sweeping.

Take care.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I can sweep triads and that's about it right now. It's difficult for me to practice sweeping because I hate the neo-classical sound. Don't know why. Impressive yes.

Hit the spot, for me no. Only simple melodies do the trick, unless complex melodies are slowed down and repetitive.

I've tried to like classical, tech rock, neo-classical, and jazz, but I can't. That's why I suck at guitar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
Actually, all the top guitarists are the main cause of depression in my life...
so so strue, I say we rise up and eliminate them, then we will all be happy again and be starting clean with every one on the same level, then we can race to stardom, be killed, and the whole cycle start over again....Im gunna overdose at Hammersmith just prior to the 2nd revolution uprising, when the next generation comes to get me off my high perch..WHO's WITH ME!??:throwup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so so strue, I say we rise up and eliminate them, then we will all be happy again and be starting clean with every one on the same level, then we can race to stardom, be killed, and the whole cycle start over again....Im gunna overdose at Hammersmith just prior to the 2nd revolution uprising, when the next generation comes to get me off my high perch..WHO's WITH ME!??
Indeed good sir...

While it would be cool to be a freak-of-nature guitarist, I'll never practice 12-hours a day. So I don't think it'll ever happen for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.