Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 Bridge pickup ........ my original plan was to build a guitar cause i aint got enough cash to buy a brand new guitar...... and my current guitar which is still my first guitar doesnt have decent pickups or a floyd or anything but i really love the neck and the feel of the guitar, so im wondering if i should start building another guitar ( which might not feel as good as my current one) but may sound better than my guitar atm............. or stick the new '59 in my guitar i have! i have no clue wot to do so im asking for some feedback here if anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated! :)

My current guitar is an Ibanez SA160QM

SA neck
Quilted Maple top/Mahogany body
Large frets
SAT 30 bridge
AS2 (S) neck pu
AS2 (S) mid pu
AH4 (H) bridge pu

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who cares if your guitar is a piece of shit or the most beautiful instrument in the world? Only you! With that being said, it is a lot cheaper to drop a new pup into a guitar you already like rather than building from scratch and hoping for the best. :thumb:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with mattm. I say put it in your current axe. Building a new one is awfully expensive (just as expensive as buying a nice guitar) and it's one hell of a job too. Not to mention, if you change your mind later on, you can always take out the SH-1 from your Ibanez and stick it in your newly built guitar :thumb:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for feedback guys!, much appreciated :), By adding a floyd rose do u think i would ruin the sound of the guitar? after its routed etc?

G

·
as lon as the contact between the post and the bridge is good the sound wouldn't change. Listen to Steve Vai, he's got a floyd on all his guitars and his tone is awesome.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
But he also runs through a fuckload of expensive equipment. Im not saying that floyded guitars sound worse, just saying that it thins out the sound a little.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
anything thats not mounted solid to the body is going to be thinner. its just plain physics. floyds do add some mass compared to other trems. but its still only 2 tiny contact points. unlike a hardtail that is commonly 4 or string through that has 8 contact points.... Fender strat has a contact area of about 5 square inches on their hardtails. Most trems have some wood removed for them so that decreases body mass too.
VB

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm very confused my Guitar has a regular trem unit on it.... will i need to get the guitar routed to fit a floyd on ? my guitar also has a very thin body probablly one of the lightest guitars on the market, if any of u have played or held a SA model From Ibanez u will know how thin and light these guitars are...... i do want to add a floyde it would be much cheaper than buying a whole new guitar, but then again i dont wanna ruin a perfectly good guitar

·
Registered
200 Posts
mab8485 said:
Wont a floyd thin the sound out a bit? :dunno:
I locked the floyd in my Jackson with a piece of wood in the "strings department" 'cause I have also an Ibanez RG570 with floyd. My Jackson sounds much better nowadays so I would say floyd thins the sound more than a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts