Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
5K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  canadiandlrgirl 
#1 ·
Are they done? Going to cut a new album? TOuring next year?

#2 ·
Unlikely, grasshopper.

Eddy has gone into hibernation from what I gather. You can go to vhlinks to find out the latest gossip, speculations and so on.

Sammy is out again, Mikey is with Sammy, and Ed is home, playing guitar and drinking Cabernet, while Alex is who knows where... Wish I had better knews.

By the way, this is not the right forum to post this...

#3 ·
CanyonCarver said:
Unlikely, grasshopper.

Eddy has gone into hibernation from what I gather. You can go to vhlinks to find out the latest gossip, speculations and so on.

Sammy is out again, Mikey is with Sammy, and Ed is home, playing guitar and drinking Cabernet, while Alex is who knows where... Wish I had better knews.

By the way, this is not the right forum to post this...

Dang I wanted to here, or see van halen one more time.

#5 ·
CanyonCarver said:
Don't despair, it could still happen. But there will need to be some serious changes in the VH camp, and I get the feeling that Ed is actually the one that needs to take a long hard look at himself...

I agree, i think eddie is so mest up that he is worse then ozzy. But defenetly a great guitarist.

#6 ·
Hard for me to admit, but things have not looked good for =VH= for a while, and I was actually surprised they did the reunion tour with Hagar. We may never see them do anything again, but let's hope for better.

CC was right about this being in the wrong forum. It really should go in the Music Hall, which is where I will go ahead and move it now.

#7 ·
It ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth!

And Dave proved this summer that he still kicks ass.

Two words for Ed......Betty Ford. :drunk:

#9 ·
Its a shame the way that VH has fallen apart.

Its another chapter in the Rock and Roll Hall of Self Destruction.

Fame can be a fickle thing.
Makes some people great and they can handle it
Others it makes people great and they cant handle it.

I hope he can find the strength in himself to pull himself together and sort himself out. It would be a shame to lose him from stages and studios.

Maybe he could ease himself back into it by doing some guest appearances on some other peoples albums. Then if he likes it look at writing some new stuff himself.

Just a thought.

#10 ·
eliottj said:
Are they done? Going to cut a new album? TOuring next year?

God knows. At the end of the tour there was mumblings of new music and a new tour, but who knows.

No-one would have ever believed that they would tour with Sammy Hagar or that would we would get new music, but it happened.

So, who knows ? You can't predict anything in the Van Halen camp.

However, until anything happens, we must continue to do what we have always done as Van Halen fans. That is, listen to the great music they've already given us, and scratch our heads wondering how the fuck we'd ever play the intro to Mean Street !

:lol:

#12 ·
JM5150 said:
Or drinking "Smoking Loon" :D
Smoking Loon has a cabernet wine. Just to clarify. As for Van Halen there were rumours floating around they may be the next "rockstar" band like what INXS did but, after what I saw in Vancouver back in October '04 Eddie really needs help. All I could think about was Wolfgang the whole night every time Eddie lit up a smoke while staggering around on stage. I was like "*&^% Dude, you are getting a second chance to see your son grow up after beating cancer and you got a great band that the people still love and you are freakin' blowin' it!....ugh!...makes me angry every time I think about it.

#13 ·
Bigrockjamie said:
Smoking Loon has a cabernet wine. Just to clarify. As for Van Halen there were rumours floating around they may be the next "rockstar" band like what INXS did but, after what I saw in Vancouver back in October '04 Eddie really needs help. All I could think about was Wolfgang the whole night every time Eddie lit up a smoke while staggering around on stage. I was like "*&^% Dude, you are getting a second chance to see your son grow up after beating cancer and you got a great band that the people still love and you are freakin' blowin' it!....ugh!...makes me angry every time I think about it.
Most Brit guitarists have just seen this scenario play itself out this very day, in exactly the way you describe Bigrock - although nothing to do with music, George Best, the UK's single most loved and admired soccer players, with a career spanning back to the '60s, passed away today at 59... a complete physical and emotional wreck after a life of alchohol abuse, even after a brief respite and a liver transplant only a couple of years ago ... but still loved by his armies of fans ....

See ya Besty ... you'll be mourned a long time.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: (and I'm not even a soccer fan).

Sorry to hijack this thread with non-guitar stuff, but it seemed relevant, cause he was a larger-than-life character too, who never lost his charisma, even if he did lose his dignity from time to time (and how!).

#14 ·
JustAName said:
Agreed!! :icon_thum
I'd love to see that happen. But the question is if they could recapture their
old magic.... :dunno:
Well, let's see what happens. :afro:
I heard that David Lee Roth is going to be taking the place of the Howard Stern show with his own show...if that's true it should be very interesting :thumb:

I agree...Van Halen never was the same (as good to me) when DLR left. :wutblau:

#15 ·
JustAName said:
Agreed!! :icon_thum
I'd love to see that happen. But the question is if they could recapture their
old magic.... :dunno:
Well, let's see what happens. :afro:
Why? Have you seen the shape of Dave lately. He makes the Crypt Keeper look like a stud. He's old hat. He WAS a good frontman but he just looks prematurely old and would look awfully silly on stage acting like he did 20 odd years ago. I'm not saying this would stop them for doing it, just pointing out the obvious...

#16 ·
Yes its true that Dave is going to replace Howard Stern. God I feel sorry for the people on the east for having to listen to Daves cornball humor. As far as the state of VH, I still would rather here Eddie do a solo project than have to here Sammy ruin the band with his screeching and poor lyrics but thats my opinion. Dave was great in his prime but comes across kinda pathetic now, I just think Eddie should retire the band VH and just do solo projects with guests here and there.

#18 ·
Van Halen is my all time favorite band.

I think this should be it. Please don't do the next Rockstar. It's over. Don't ruin the Van Halen name. All good things must come to an end.

They have assloads of material they could release with DLR on it. Just do that PLEASE!!

#19 ·
stingx said:
Why? Have you seen the shape of Dave lately. He makes the Crypt Keeper look like a stud. He's old hat. He WAS a good frontman but he just looks prematurely old and would look awfully silly on stage acting like he did 20 odd years ago. I'm not saying this would stop them for doing it, just pointing out the obvious...

Hold on...I've seen Dave twice in the past year. First, he looks fantastic!! He's in prime physical shape. He doesn't act the way he did on stage 25 years ago,granted, he is 51, but he STILL puts on an amazing live show. Second, his voice is as crisp as it was in 1978. He is the ONLY shred of Van Halen that is left and he knows it. If a reunion were too take place, sure it wouldnt be like 1981 again...but it would still be one helluva show. Bank on it... :thumb:

#20 ·
stingx said:
I've seen Dave live three times in the past 12 months and his show kicks ass.
The one that looks terrible now is the WINO Ed.

These pics were taken by Godzilla when we caught Dave in Sarnia, Ontario
this summer.

Attachments

#21 ·
awesome well i heard the latest van halen thing the one with the guy being hit by a cannon ball its so weird it sounds like a half rate album which sounds bit like extrem and i bit like halen just isnt there.i love extreme i just dont understand how gary would do this.and i like halen too but that albums crap

#22 ·
Zappa said:
....I still would rather here Eddie do a solo project than have to here Sammy ruin the band with his screeching and poor lyrics but thats my opinion.
I agree with this. I like all the music from VH's whoile catalog, but personally do not care much for Sammy Hagar. Poor lyrics are a huge part of that dislike. I'm ready for that Eddie solo project or an instrumental VH album!

pranavpahwa said:
awesome well i heard the latest van halen thing the one with the guy being hit by a cannon ball its so weird it sounds like a half rate album which sounds bit like extrem and i bit like halen just isnt there.i love extreme i just dont understand how gary would do this.and i like halen too but that albums crap
I completely disagree. I think that album is fantastic and I cannot fathom how someone could say it is crap. You may not like that version of VH, but to say the album is crap is a bit over the top, IMO. I have spun that CD from start to finish at least 100 times through, and I ain't exaggerating. :rock:

#23 · (Edited)
at the risk of poking someone in the nose, I think Van Halen's time has come and gone. Dave and Eddie will never resolve their differences long enough to do anything. Eddie has some major substance abuse issues to address and dave is doing fine on his own. I think VH is something to be listened to and remembered. I can still remember the 1st time I heard the intro to runnin with the devil burn the FM airwaves back in the spring of '78. And the world has never been the same since. I really sincerely don't think that kind of thing can be duplicated, not even by the originals. Just my thoughts.

#24 ·
Supersonic said:
at the risk of poking someone in the nose, I think Van Halen's time has come and gone. Dave and Eddie will never resolve their differences long enough to do anything. Eddie has some major substance abuse issues to address and dave is doing fine on his own. I think VH is something to be listened to and remembered. I can still remember the 1st time I heard the intro to runnin with the devil burn the FM airwaves back in the spring of '78. And the world has never been the same since. I really sincerely don't think that kind of thing can be duplicated, not even by the originals. Just my thoughts.
I totally agree with you, there is no way they can duplicate the success and sound they originally had. Thats why eddie just needs to retire the band and move on with a solo project. I don't even want to hear another bland album with Sammy again and for god sakes not another new singer!:thumbsdow

#25 ·
Carmine said:
Hold on...I've seen Dave twice in the past year. First, he looks fantastic!! He's in prime physical shape. He doesn't act the way he did on stage 25 years ago,granted, he is 51, but he STILL puts on an amazing live show. Second, his voice is as crisp as it was in 1978. He is the ONLY shred of Van Halen that is left and he knows it. If a reunion were too take place, sure it wouldnt be like 1981 again...but it would still be one helluva show. Bank on it... :thumb:
Bet your ass Carmine! I'm with you bro! and Guwapo!

#26 ·
pranavpahwa said:

Heh heh heh, takes some getting used to it, and a little open mind, but there are some jems on that album. I've said it until I am blue in the face, but I still think "A Year To The Day" is stunning...

But, each to their own.

Have you not checked out the three new songs that they did on Best Of Both Worlds yet ?

As for the Dave reunion theme that this thread has taken, well, if we got more songs in the vibe of "Can't Get This Stuff No More", and "Me Wise Magic", well I wouldn't be complaining !

:rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.