Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently re-read the chapters from Sammy's book that sucka posted some time back (thanks again, BTW) and the section where Sammy talked about "re-inventing" VH's sound is very interesting to me. I look at a band like U2 and how they constantly are changing their sound but yet, they are undeniably, U2.

Anyone else wish VH would have followed suit? Not saying selling out or anything but that the music would have continued to mature and evolve. Some hate the fact that EVH used a synthesizer for a time, I personally thought it was awesome. There is something appealing about an artist who is so good at what they do, that they aren't afraid to take risks. With that in mind, I can appreciate VH III a bit more than at first. The song "Once" is a great example. Some other songs that come to mind are:

Big Bad Bill

Feels so good
On the Outside
Seventh Seal (to some degree)

I have a double live cd from the Police that has a cool sound. Especially the drums and guitar. I'm just hopeful that VH will get it together with whatever singer that works best. Cause, for me, it's always been about Eddie, Mike, and Alex.

What say you?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I think the sound of Its About Time was a step in that direction. The opening riff had the nu-metal sound to it, yet it was still Halen ya know. Learning To See also has Ed experimenting with different sounds and harmonics. That's a tune that you really have to listen too just to hear all the little things that Ed throws at ya. I find Sam's idea of them branching out as a good thing, and Alex finding "a new" beat would work well with me. Al hasn't really played a fast tune since Big Fat Money, and seems locked into a medium tempo groove over the last decade. So it would be nice to see him experiment, but I don't like Sam's electric drum kit idea.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"but I don't like Sam's electric drum kit idea."

No kidding, I hated that electronic drum sound on 5150. Although, as I said, the synth didn't really bother me..Go figure.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I'm all for the synth when it's used creatively. Up For Breakfast is an example, but that had already been done on Why Cant This Be Love. I didn't mind it though, and love the groove of UFB. It sounds even better without the vocals!

http://www.evh-domain.com/MP3/VanHagar/UFB_NoVocals.mp3

·
Registered
21 Posts
What VH failed to see was that mainstream forgot about them during the "hiatus" and a lot of the older fan base esp. wants a Dave reunion. The lack of publicity was just ridiculous imo. Look at what similar (in terms of age/success) bands have done recently after a break: U2, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi. They all came back with some sort of corporate tie-in which got them major exposure. Aero & BJ with the NFL, U2 had the i-pod, etc...) plus having successful "pop" tune or 2 would help, even if its not necessarily what they consider to be the best song they have ever written.

Write a few 4 minute rockin' tunes, hook with someone to give you max exposure. There are not enough stations to play the likes of IAT or UFB .

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
That would be cool if Ed wasn't so media unfriendly, or he atleast appears that way to me. Bon Jovi and Aersomith seem like normal guys to me, and I'm sure they have their quirks. But Ed tops them all, and is apparantley still battling an addiction problem. So I wouldn't see that shit working, but it would be very cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even for a rock star, Ed is quirky, but that could be his gimmick. Sam is the funny frontman, Mikey the average cool guy, Al the serious guy and Ed the quirk.

I think the attendance at some of these shows had to be a wkae up call for them, at least a little bit. VH does not have a good reputation after this tour, esp in some of the smaller markets as alot of them got hosed on this tour.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I dunno, these guys raked up alot of money this time out, and the double album went platinum, so I'm not sure if these guys were bothered with some of the attendance numbers.

Here's one thing that Sam said that irrated me awhile back. He said that he wish VH would just record songs here and there and release them via the website, because there are too many bands to compete with these days. Bands like Velvet Revolver and Nickleback are busting their asses and coming out with great albums. That kind of talk pisses me off. Yes I know that VH will never make albums like Fair Warning again, BUT I don't like the fact that Sam's competitive edge seems to be fading. Now the man can bring it live with the best of em, but I would love for him and the boys to pour their souls into makin records again. There's nothing wrong with putting your middle finger up to these new bands and sayin, listen we're back now so step aside. Atleast that's how I see it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
But did they really rake in THAT much $$$ this tour? Overall, yes it was a success I agree and overall it grossed about $55M so it wasn't a failure by any means but there were a lot of shows that had less than 75% capacity and if the booking of $750K is true, there were alot of promoters/venues that got killed this tour and won't touch them next time out.

What I'm saying is that yes it was good, but the next tour could be worse if they keep everything the same.

Sam hasn't gone platinum post VH and he can blame it on whatever he wants. The fact is he hasn't had a catchy crossover tune to get him exposure. That doesn't mean the music is not good, its just all about marketing. Like it always was. How many bands from the 80s had a hit song because the video was cool?

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Very interesting opinions.

I got hosed big time when I saw VH live in LA. I took my son to see one of the best rock bands in history. All he got to see was a drunken EVH stumble, mumble and play like an ass.
My kid has musical ears and there was no way of fooling him. No amount of distortion or effects could hide the fact that Ed was playing while numb. It was a disgrace and this has left an awul aftertaste...

I don't believe in Van Halen as it stands anymore, I hate to admit.
I was a strong Dave supporter and realize that it probably would have been a sorry excuse for a reunion too. I really don't know where to go from there either...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well some things would definitely have to change within the individual members of the band. One of the things that struck me from watching LWAN the other day was how happy, unassuming Ed was back then. He was healthy, happy and confident. Obviously, he was a lot younger as well.

But, he knew he was great and didn't mind Sammy playing guitar on that tour (not talking solos here) and the band appeared selfless and as a result, made great music together. I'm all for maturing as an individual and corporately, in fact, I wish they were more so on the 2004 tour. I mean, how many f-bombs can you drop on a 30ish audience?? :doh:

Ultimately, I like how U2 has approached their careers. They've grown and flowed with the culture (not selling out) and they still have a huge following. And, more importantly, they still make great records. A healthy Van Halen can still garner a ton of commercial appeal. But as Eric said, the marketing must improve. The LWAN DVD lacking any special features was a complete screw-up, the glitch on BOBW, the fact they released two greatest hits back-to-back with some of the same songs..Pure stupidity, IMO. It seems that VH (Eddie) is more content on being an underground band so to speak..Or basically, "If you don't like it, too bad"...I love Ed and all and I'm sure he's justified in being somewhat eccentric. Most geniuses are..But I'm sure the cancer, divorce, etc..Has taken a harder toll than he'd like to admit or realizes.

Here's to VH getting it all together, and dieing to their own self interests and putting together a classic album for all us longsuffering Van Halen fans.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its unfortunate that VH's music is overshadowed by the lead singer soap opera. This was once a great band but now they don't get any kinda credit or recognition by current artists. And I think this is why Eddie kinda has this bitterness about him now. I think what might happen in the future is that Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang start touring playing in smaller venues. If Wolfgang is as talented as Eddie says , then I could see this happening. THE VAN HALENS!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stiglar said:
what was the glitch on BOBW on LWAN dvd ?
FWYS cuts off at the end instead of fades off and Strung Out is included in error. Minor errors, sure but its still embarassing.

The LWAN "glitch" is that after almost 20 years, it finally come out on DVD and there is not one extra on it. They did so much press for MTV that year they easily could have thrown on some interview footage or even added a 3 song "teaser" from the 2004 tour. Something; anything.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Ok, I hafta say that while i thought one of the best shows I have seen was VH, this year in Dan Diego. Gtr playing wise, eddies solo spot sucked. The new songs don't measure up. Eddie has always been a jerk in every interveiw i read, leaving me think "what a cocky bastard". He Won't sign any autographs, and if you see him in public He'd prett much tell to stay away or fuck off-(said this in an i-view.

We have to appreciate what they did, and the gr8 records they recorded, but accept the fact that they are over.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
flair said:
Ok, I hafta say that while i thought one of the best shows I have seen was VH, this year in Dan Diego. Gtr playing wise, eddies solo spot sucked. The new songs don't measure up. Eddie has always been a jerk in every interveiw i read, leaving me think "what a cocky bastard". He Won't sign any autographs, and if you see him in public He'd prett much tell to stay away or fuck off-(said this in an i-view.

We have to appreciate what they did, and the gr8 records they recorded, but accept the fact that they are over.
No offense dude, but your perception of Ed is wrong. I don't know about the San Diego show because I wasn't there, eventhough I do have the audio from that show. But I do know that Ed is a very solid human being, and everyone that I know that has met him has had nothing but great things to say. I've read a ton of interviews from the guy, and he's always come off as very humble and respectful.

And as far as them being over, that may be your opinion, but I don't believe so. The new songs don't measure up? Measure up to what? Why do they have to measure up to anything? Why can't people just accept the songs for what they were. Three new songs on a Best Of compilation album. I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to reinvent the wheel when they recorded. Just three fun songs that they came up with in a short matter of time. They don't have to measure up to Unchained, On Fire or Poundcake because that wasn't their intention. That's all my opinion of course.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
ericjt said:
FWYS cuts off at the end instead of fades off and Strung Out is included in error. Minor errors, sure but its still embarassing.

The LWAN "glitch" is that after almost 20 years, it finally come out on DVD and there is not one extra on it. They did so much press for MTV that year they easily could have thrown on some interview footage or even added a 3 song "teaser" from the 2004 tour. Something; anything.
ohhhh ok .. sorry little misunderstanding i thought you meant on the song BOBW on the LWAN dvd there was a glitch ...

yeah i agree the greatest hits vol II glitches were pretty embarassing and the lack of features on the dvd very disapointing indeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.