Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which \"Gary\" era song could Sammy Sing?

I know we are all very, very happy that the "boys are back"

This said there are some of us who have a soft spot for Gary who took on the hardest gig in the world. He and Ed wrote some interesting tunes, some worked, some sucked, some never got the respect they deserved. This said, I feel that if you had the power to ask Sammy to sing one Gary era song, what would it be? Would you bother to ask, does Gary deserve to be recognised? Did you give a damn?

Me...Dirty Water Dog.

A funky, rocking tune that got the crowd going. I would like Sammy to gives this the treatment.

What ya'll think of this?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Re: Which \"Gary\" era song could Sammy Sing?

Woah dude, you're opening a can of worms with this one. Be ready for lots of "NONE" responses, as well as top ten uses for your unwanted VH3 CD.

However, I would have Sammy sing A Year To The Day. With him screaming the vocals out, a la Learning To See, I think it would be an interesting combination !!!

·
Registered
33 Posts

I could dig Sammy singing "Year To The Day," I would have loved to hear this if it was "Between Us Two." I think it's a masterful guitar piece. I think "Fire In The Hole" would be great with Sammy at the helm. I think that is the most 'Van Halen' song on the album. That should have been the first single, IMO. I love the music to "Dirty Water Dog," sounds almost 1984-ish to me, but the singing in that song (plus the somewhat over-the-top lyrics) kind of hurt the toughness of the song. I thought that was the only part that was hard to swallow with VH3, Gary has a real intellectual style to his lyrics, and his singing isn't really based on "catchy" choruses. That's what Van Halen has always been. Not having that takes the grime and grit out of the Van Halen mixture. I stilled loved the album, in it's own way. Very artistic...I would have loved to hear Sammy's contribution to some of those songs. Gary was a great guy, I really feel that Eddie is showing more complexity in the new songs (at least "Learning to See" and "Up for Breakfast") with the guitar parts because of the new depth he gained from working with Gary on VH3.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
mondola said:
Woah dude, you're opening a can of worms with this one. Be ready for lots of "NONE" responses, as well as top ten uses for your unwanted VH3 CD.

However, I would have Sammy sing A Year To The Day. With him screaming the vocals out, a la Learning To See, I think it would be an interesting combination !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL well he's not gonna get that from me cause I'm actually sittin here listnening to VH3 right now! LOL I love that cd actually, and I think Ed did a marvelous job on it. I think this may be the purest VH cd since Fair Warning as far as Ed pouring all his heart into a record. I think Sammy could sing all of the tunes on this album actually, but the songs I'd most want to hear are: One I Want, Fire In The Hole, and Without You. Dirty Water Dog would be cool too.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
[ QUOTE ]
mondola said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL well he's not gonna get that from me cause I'm actually sittin here listnening to VH3 right now! LOL I love that cd actually, and I think Ed did a marvelous job on it. I think this may be the purest VH cd since Fair Warning as far as Ed pouring all his heart into a record. I think Sammy could sing all of the tunes on this album actually, but the songs I'd most want to hear are: One I Want, Fire In The Hole, and Without You. Dirty Water Dog would be cool too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be some of my choices too Sucka, and also Year To The Day, people can say what they want but IMO that is a great song!

·
Registered
245 Posts

Well, here's some WORMS: I think Sammy could do almost every "Gary" era song. Why? Because they're not really "Gary's" songs. They're still Van Halen songs. I've heard and seen some of the "VHGera" songs & videos, and it seems Gary looks up to Sammy in terms of vocal performance, though his vocals sound rusty and not too professional as Sammy's. His stage presence was nothing compared to even DLR. I think Gary tried to put in the 'modern rock' feel into VH...

Going back to the songs, I think Sammy can sing 'em. He's done better renditions of the VHDLRera...so why couldn't he do the same with the "Gary" songs?

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
RobertVanHagar said:
Well, here's some WORMS: I think Sammy could do almost every "Gary" era song. Why? Because they're not really "Gary's" songs. They're still Van Halen songs. I've heard and seen some of the "VHGera" songs & videos, and it seems Gary looks up to Sammy in terms of vocal performance, though his vocals sound rusty and not too professional as Sammy's. His stage presence was nothing compared to even DLR. I think Gary tried to put in the 'modern rock' feel into VH...

Going back to the songs, I think Sammy can sing 'em. He's done better renditions of the VHDLRera...so why couldn't he do the same with the "Gary" songs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I basically disagree with every point you just made. Hagar is my least favorite singer of the 3........But I still respect your perspective/opinion and I'm glad to see you here again. Haven't seen you around much lately. I was worried that my initial drunken rudeness may have turned you off from this site. Good to see you back.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts

i would love to hear year to the day ... or any gary songs .. vh3 is a great album i love it .. specially josephina .. aweosme stuff !

·
Registered
7,615 Posts

A very pro VH3 thread. I love this album too, and agree with you Sucka, in terms of pouring your heart into an album.

Amazing how it could turn out two completely different albums in Fair Warning and VH3.

I can't wait to sort out my CD collection and unearth some of the old gems. Especially with my new ears !!!

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
I love that cd actually, and I think Ed did a marvelous job on it. I think this may be the purest VH cd since Fair Warning as far as Ed pouring all his heart into a record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! Very well put, Sucka. I too am a fan of this album. Have listened to it at least a couple hundred times. Glad I'm not the only one. I think Gary did a great job and I really loved the effect that his non-ego-centered demeanor/personality had on nurturing Ed's songwriting on this album. The song Josephina is very beautiful and very different from most Van Halen I have heard. I personally get really sick of the sophomoric, mentally/emotionally retarded (as in, stuck in the mentallity of a 21 year old) lyrics that Sammy writes. At least Gary's lyrics added an element of depth and emotional maturity.

·
Registered
472 Posts

VH3??? What's that??? I thought Eddie and the boys jumped in their time machine and erased all that!!!

But seriously folks, I always thought Fire in the Hole was a Sammy song.
I would have loved to hear what he would have done with that song lyrically. Also One I Want has a Sammy feel to it. I think Gary may have had Sammy in mind while singing on those two, I can definitely hear Sammys voice doing those two.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
kc_artist_rocker said:
[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
I love that cd actually, and I think Ed did a marvelous job on it. I think this may be the purest VH cd since Fair Warning as far as Ed pouring all his heart into a record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! Very well put, Sucka. I too am a fan of this album. Have listened to it at least a couple hundred times. Glad I'm not the only one. I think Gary did a great job and I really loved the effect that his non-ego-centered demeanor/personality had on nurturing Ed's songwriting on this album. The song Josephina is very beautiful and very different from most Van Halen I have heard. I personally get really sick of the sophomoric, mentally/emotionally retarded (as in, stuck in the mentallity of a 21 year old) lyrics that Sammy writes. At least Gary's lyrics added an element of depth and emotional maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've never been too big on lyrics really. I do have two favorites though, and that's Scott Weiland and Layne Staley. But I listen to their music for a different reason then VH. When I listen to VH, it makes me either wanna do one of several things, or all at the same time: Party, play guitar, drive fast, haxe sex with a big breasted blonde, drink beer, and any other crazy shit that's on my mind. So I really dont mind the lyrics the Sam or Dave wrote, no matter how sophomoric they are. I despise Spanked though.

I will agree that I did like Gary's lyrical prowess, especially on tracks like Dirty Water Dog and Josephina. Gary really did have a way with his words, and unfortunately not many ppl got it, but if you did get it, then you know the shit was good

·
Registered
472 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
When I listen to VH it makes me either wanna do one of several things, are all at the same time: Party, play guitar, drive fast, haxe sex with a big breasted blonde, drink beer, and any other crazy shit that's on my mind. So I really dont mind the lyrics the Sam or Dave wrote, no matter how sophomoric they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put Sucka..
That's EXACTLY what Van Halen is...
You nailed it dude

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
mikemellow said:
[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
When I listen to VH it makes me either wanna do one of several things, are all at the same time: Party, play guitar, drive fast, haxe sex with a big breasted blonde, drink beer, and any other crazy shit that's on my mind. So I really dont mind the lyrics the Sam or Dave wrote, no matter how sophomoric they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put Sucka..
That's EXACTLY what Van Halen is...
You nailed it dude

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh believe me, I have "nailed it" to the soundtrack of VH
Loss Of Control is a bitch to keep up with!

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts

Well, I guess that different people draw different types of enjoyment from Van Halen, for different reasons. I guess it could be said that I listen to Van Halen primarily to hear Eddie play, and am not really into the Van Halen "brand."

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
kc_artist_rocker said:
Well, I guess that different people draw different types of enjoyment from Van Halen, for different reasons. I guess it could be said that I listen to Van Halen primarily to hear Eddie play, and am not really into the Van Halen "brand."

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's what makes VH so special I think. So many people can take so many different things from VH. You can listen to it from a guitarist enjoyment, or you could dig the sound of Al's snare. You could love Dave's vocal tone and diction, or Sam's phrasing and vocal melodies. I mean we can all get so much out of VH, and I guess that's what makes them so special because of all the varities of their music. But in the end, it's all still Van Halen.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Once is a song that has always inspired me and a song I think sammy could really get into.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

This may not be on topic, but I have to share this with you all...My wedding anniversary today and let me say I have not "got butter on my biscuit" yet this morning. My lovely wife though presented me with LWAN on DVD! Finally got a copy!

No all I have to do now is cue up "Get Up" and away we go....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

"How many say I?" Now that's a Sammy song.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.