Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two short guitar samples. Both are played first through a Boss GT-6.
The other one goes straight from Boss’s digital output to digital input in my soundcard.
The other one goes from Boss to an old tube powered radio (from 1958). I miked the radio and connected the microphone to soundcards mic in.

Can you tell the difference? Which one sounds better and why?

Attachments

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
yeah the difference was pretty minimal however i do like the first one sounds a bit warmer to my ears :Thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the difference is suprisingly small when you consider how different techniques were used. I'll wait a couple of days so others can also take a blind test. Then I'll reveal which is which.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The second one seems to sound a bit sharper to me...if I had to guess I would say the first was direct and the second was mic'd.

·
Registered
515 Posts
mcnach said:
I'd go with the first one (green), although the difference was tiny.
oh, I didn't say *why*.
well, the difference was very very small... but I thought the definition was a bit better on the first one. However the second one sounded a bit "warmer" and I'd guess the second one was the mic'd one...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here comes the answer:
The green sample was recorded with microphone, the blue one is totally digital.
Maybe if the mic would have been further away from the speaker there might have been more difference. I suppose there might be more "room" in the sound.
Well, I just have to continue experimenting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts