Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just bought an epiphone goth sg, and the pickups are really crappy, so I'm looking to replace them with some higher quality ones. I have been juggling several options so far, like the 57 classic plus, the angus young signature, the tonni iommi signature, or the zakk wylde emg set. I figure you guys have tried alot more pickups than I have, and figured I'd see if you have any suggestions for pickups.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
The kits go for about $170 new on E-bay all day long. I just bought one and installed in a LP. If you like Zakk's sound...these are what you are looking for IMO.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,521 Posts
You will ONLY get Zakk's sound so you'd better like it. Before being sold on the EMG's, maybe check out the sound of the stock Gibson PAFs in the Gibson SGs in a music store. They worked good enough for Eric Clapton and Angus Young.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if u want a high output pickup i'd recommend the Dimarzio X2N... at the end of the day it won't sound like every other guitar with an X2N, because the X2N still lets the dynamics of the wood come thru in your tone, unlike the emg's... as for neck pickup i'm not real sure... i have a duncan JB in the neck spot on one guitar that i like very much... and my Rhoads V has a duncan seth lover PAF reissue in the neck spot which is nice but it feeds back easy, and with distortion is a bit muddy, also is noisy cause its not wax potted ala the origional PAF...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the thing, I'm looking for something of the wall, and obscure, I know alot of people use EMGs and the sound is amazing, but, I'm seriously having second thoughts, and am open to suggestions of good pickup combo's that are uncommon, but on the other hand, I might go total classic and put the 57's. Has anyone heard of an unusual combo lately that really rocks?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seymour Duncan makes the Invader, and i have only heard bad things about it. personally i like the stock pikups in the goth SG, but if i were going to put any thing in it i'd put in a Seymour duncan SH-13 Dimebucker, and some sort of emg either an 81 or an 85. or if you really wanted to be a badass and really put some cash in it get a 3 rd pick up installed like a p-90 in the middle, but you'd have to get a hole routed out and cut a hole in your pickguard.

·
Registered
240 Posts
marktheshark said:
I just read a review on harmonycentral that said the x2n is bad in a mahogany body, so I'm a little sketchy about that one. Who makes the invader, and what does everybody know about it?
i have a x2n in a mahogony bodied neck thru right now, its phenomenal... that guitar is my main ax as of lately... has a real killer tone... as for whacky combinations, well its also that guitar, got a X2N in the bridge spot and a lace sensor light blue single in the neck spot, killer tone everywhere...

in fact heres a recording i did with it...

http://www.elysian-online.com/RiffIdeaJuly1st.mp3

·
Registered
162 Posts
That sounds like a pretty bad combo there elysian. major props. :thumbup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
marktheshark said:
when you say light blue single, do you mean single coil pickup? because the sg only has 2 humbucking slots. tell me more.
i was just using my guitar as a reference, its got a hum and a single... hence the lace sensor light blue single... BUT... u can get lace sensor hums now... so that might be an option, lace sensor's have insane tone, least for a good clean tone dunno bout riffing thru a bridge spot one, all i know is from the neck spot single i got

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally use the EMG Zakk Wylde set and its great!!! But my other combo I used before was a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a Duncan Custom Custom in the neck and that sounded sweet!!!! Kinda wished I hadn't chnaged them at times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.