Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Is sort of my take on Duran Durans version Of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 - White Lines (Don't Do It). I was going to do it as a collab - but I was getting narked with doing the midi from scratch and ended up doing the lot myself.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is really not my kinda music so I'm not sure if I'm ever heard this song before - it sounds a little familiar.
But that doesn't keep me from liking this track: great backing & playing & singing.
Did you record those choruses and "chants" as different vocal tracks or did you do some copy & paste tricks? How many vocal tracks did you do?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Karkki :)

Err the tracks on this one were very disorganised but there are about 25 vocal tracks - some have just 1 or 2 bits and others are core vocal parts. The chants were all done individually. I think I may have copied one or two parts but I have redone the vocals so many times I doubt there are many duplicate left. I think there were also 6 midi tracks (Drums, Bass, 2 Analog synths, Scratching, and finger clicks) and about 18 guitar tracks - mainly for spot effects and 1 guitar synth.

I have included a gif of the DAW map

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers Rythameen :)

Different is a pretty good summing up of me :)

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Awesome cover, Porty! Damn groovin'...I always liked this song! You did this very well. Take a bow, mofo :bowdown:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks sting :) - sorry about the tappy solo - I am shit at that stuff :lol:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sgstd - mate you are far to kind to me. I just do the wierd stuff because I can't do all the cool tunes that you lot do :D

ooh bloody hell I got stars !!! thankyou

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Goport said:
Sgstd - mate you are far to kind to me. I just do the wierd stuff because I can't do all the cool tunes that you lot do :D

ooh bloody hell I got stars !!! thankyou
I'm positive you could cover any song that you put your mind to!!!:woot:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Goport said:
there are about 25 vocal tracks - some have just 1 or 2 bits and others are core vocal parts. The chants were all done individually. I think I may have copied one or two parts but I have redone the vocals so many times I doubt there are many duplicate left. I think there were also 6 midi tracks (Drums, Bass, 2 Analog synths, Scratching, and finger clicks) and about 18 guitar tracks - mainly for spot effects and 1 guitar synth.
You've surely put a lot of work here - and it can be heared in the results. This is a brilliant example of a good production. And I thought I work hard with my recordings... ;-)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I will admit i am no fan of duran duran but you put alot of work into this and did a great job:thumb: ... and i am a fan of yours even though you threaten to do bodily harm against me in all my posts:lol: :lol:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOLOL - Wiz, mate I was only joking. I am in awe of your talent:bowdown:Thank you for the comments though, I always feel honoured when you reply to my posts.

Karkki - I appreciate the comments mate but I don't bust my balls really.This one was a bit hard because I had to recreate the backing in midi from scratch - whereas I would normally work from a midi file and edit it to sound the way I like. As for the playing I enjoyed working the song out and recorded it as I went along. The vocals are not really "mixed" they are just balanced. I found the best thing for vocals is to stick a pair of headphones on, turn the backing up and try to sing at a decent volume. Not always the easiest thing to do but it does get results.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Linda. I really wanted to get you and Bluesplayer on this one but I lost my temper because I was having difficulty getting the backing right. I ended up just redoing the vox and then pretty much gave up on it - hence the rush release :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Naifuzan. I try to be a bit different :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flashy One - Lol mate - I am glad someone picked up on the humour :) Thanks chap!!

Sling - I really appreciate the listen! I remember you saying you didn't much like rap :lol: Thanks mate!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.