Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is your top 3 favorite guitarists and why?
Mine are:
1 Malmsteen, for his great technique and innovation (bringing classical to the main stream at certain points and maintaining it on a smaller scale for over 20 years) Plus I just love classical....I was playing that style before he was famous....he just made it first. ugh

2 Randy Rhoads, for bringing the more organized melodic speed scale stuff to the main stream and for creating such memorable creative melodic solos and songs.

3 Me. Just kidding

3 EVH, For bringin such incredible song writing combined with amazing rythm parts and beautiful creative solos with a ton of pazaz to the main stream and keeping his status for 30+ years.......and doing all of this with a great big smile on his face and with very little ego. And for being the most immitated player in my opinion. Also for creating the Eruption solo....although over played by others....it must be the most famous guitar solo (stand alone solo) in history)

·
Registered
163 Posts
1. Slash- influenced me to play guitar, plus great guitar player.
2. Zakk Wylde- nuff said
3. Alexi Laiho- best NEW guitarist ive heard yet, he is amazing

·
Registered
893 Posts
1.) Neal Schon - Was a teenager when he got offers to join Carlos Santana & Eric Clapton while he was still in High School. Got me playing guitar. :biggthump

2.) Hendrix - No explanation here. The man's a legend. Great stuff...

3.) This is tough. EVH, Santana or Steve Vai. I value what each of these guys bring equally. I'd give the edge to Eddie.

·
Registered
199 Posts
top 3

1. Robert Johnson - King of the SLIDE guitar
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn - For learning what came before him
3. Jimi Hendrix - for teaching the rest...:coolugh:

·
Registered
127 Posts
1. Dimebag Darrell - The feeling into his playing was insane! He was a beacon of light for the sololess years of the 90's(excluding the guitarists who rose to fame before the 90's, like Kirk Hammet or Jeff Hanneman.).His guitar playing still makes me all emotional every time I listen to one of his solos. Unmatched in my opinion, the feeling, the emotion just radiates from the notes. Great legato technique, and a god of tremolo. And you can't forget the amazing whammy pedal technique he has.

2. Eddie Van Halen - One of the most innovative guitarists of the past 20 or so years. His style has the same thing going as Dime's, it's a whole other ballpark bro. He was a very creative guitarist, and had a wonderful tapping technique. Another master of the tremolo.

3. Jimi Hendrix - Who can forget him? For his time, he was the greatest. Once more, he set himself apart from the other guitarists of his time with his playing style. The chord progressions and leads are beautiful! Look at Foxy Lady, or Voodoo Chile, or even Hey Joe and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
323 Posts
1. Gus G - not well known, but this guy just rips. Tight, clean and memorable riffs. Makes you move your hand in a picking/strumming motion every time. =)

2. Zakk - I'm a big fan of the pinch harmonic, and Zakk gives me oodles.

3. Dime - I agree w/ shuriken. Tons of feeling in Dime's playing and his tone was just crazy, gives me goose bumps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. Eddie Van Halen - the most innovative guitarist of all-time. He has the total package tone, touch, technique, feel, and musicianship.

2. Joe Satriani - very melodic and that wicked legato technique.

3. Paul Gilbert - the best picking technique I've ever seen and one of the last real innovaters left out there.

·
Shredding it up!!!
1,185 Posts
1. Zakk Wylde - Saw him play the solo to Bark at the Moon and just thought, "What a dude!!" Haha

2. Dimebag Darrell - Legend

3. John 5 - An underdog in guitar playing IMO, absolutely sensational guitar player!!

Also, definately worth a note is Guthrie Govan here in the UK, he's getting a little more exposure in the guitar world now which is nice. But the guy is incredible!! :Sylvia:

·
Melody maker
101 Posts
1. Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)- for his tasteful playing, his standout solos in Maiden (and Bruce Dickinson's solo projects - head and shoulders above Dave Murray and Roy Z, for technicality and phrasing, respectively) and gorgeous vibrato, and his ear for tone

2. Joe Satriani - the guy's simply a genius.

3. Michael Schenker (Scorpions/UFO/MSG) - the guy's just a genius with melody, and his tone ain't too shabby either! Again, the phrasing, the vibrato, the technique.. all *perfect* for my ears:)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
1. Albert King
2. Buddy Guy
3. Dave Gilmour

This is probably my top3 at the moment. It changes all the time, but Albert King has been on top for a LONG time. All 3 are guitarists with amazing feeling in their playing, and they create the most beautiful sounds with their guitars! :thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of our choices kind of answers my question in my other thread about whether guitar rock will ever come back. All of us are picking old time players and we are all making great choices...........their are no famous players as good as the old famous players. And I must say that I like pretty much all the players everyone has picked........well actually I do like them all just one or two that I would not put in my say top ten. Like the dudes from Iron Maiden, great band but I don't see them as great guitar players.
Golden Ears

·
Melody maker
101 Posts
GoldenEars said:
All of our choices kind of answers my question in my other thread about whether guitar rock will ever come back. All of us are picking old time players and we are all making great choices...........their are no famous players as good as the old famous players. And I must say that I like pretty much all the players everyone has picked........well actually I do like them all just one or two that I would not put in my say top ten. Like the dudes from Iron Maiden, great band but I don't see them as great guitar players.
Golden Ears
Adrian.. he's the reason I picked up the guitar :p and I think he's really underrated - plus it's great to see/hear his progression over the years as a guitarist. He (and the other guitarists in Maiden, but particularly him) piss rings around what passes for a rock guitarist these days, for my money. Awesome old-school player.:biggthump

·
Registered
543 Posts
Arndee said:
Adrian.. he's the reason I picked up the guitar :p and I think he's really underrated - plus it's great to see/hear his progression over the years as a guitarist. He (and the other guitarists in Maiden, but particularly him) piss rings around what passes for a rock guitarist these days, for my money. Awesome old-school player.:biggthump

AMEN!!..........:thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maiden has made a major come back, alot of kids are really into this band and that is pretty amazing considering they were kind of dead in the late 90's.
I was asked to audition myself when they were picking the third guitar player and I didn't do it because they were failing so bad at the time and I was playing with a band out of Georgia that was signed with BMG and I though that was the better choice. I F$$cked up.........that is if I would have been picked. My agent who was booking every band from Rush to U2 exclusively in Canada at the time thought I had a really good shot. Oh well hine site is 20/20
Golden Ears

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Changing daily

Like others, this list would change fairly frequently as I keep finding new guitarists.

1) Joe Satriani (this wont change, the man just has a melodic sense about him)

2) Brett Garsed or Andy Timmons. Hard choice.

3) Ozielhinzo from the interent. This guy can flat out play and I enjoy the classical influences.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 174 Posts