Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
johnaustinball1 said:
I do in some way, its just that joe and steve are my two fav guitarist and i think that joe stariai taught steve vai and its just really weird....................................:rant:
In terms of technique, Vai is probably a little better than Satch, but it doesnt matter. What is the point of comparing the two of them, especially when they dont care who is better. They both make great music and respect each other as fellow musicians, so why cant we do the same?

I think if youve spent a little time in the message board sections of videos on youtube, you will get very tired of these discussions/arguments/flame wars very quickly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If I recall either via learned from Satch or vice versa. Either way if I honestly had to say Via is probally more techical and such but satch is much more straightfoward and plays more simplistic rock but adding some new techniques. Heck I dont like either of them but yea there good. Comparing them though is really pointless, comparing guitarists in general is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
in my opinion, satch is more technically proficiant because of the fact that we have seen satch play right along with vai in the g3 jams. on top of that satch is a much better songwriter than vai. he is much more melodic and his songs have much better structure than vai's songs do. so any time we talk about technical proficiancy you have think about their songwriting ability because you can be the most technically proficiant player around but if you dont know how to express in a way that will interest other people then what is the use of even playing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
jpg5150 said:
in my opinion, satch is more technically proficiant because of the fact that we have seen satch play right along with vai in the g3 jams. on top of that satch is a much better songwriter than vai. he is much more melodic and his songs have much better structure than vai's songs do. so any time we talk about technical proficiancy you have think about their songwriting ability because you can be the most technically proficiant player around but if you dont know how to express in a way that will interest other people then what is the use of even playing.
To satisfy oneself? ;)

I agree with you to some extent -- Satch's music is more easily digested. But that is not to say that Vai hasn't written some beautiful pieces of his own. He just seems to experiment a lot more with what could be done with his instrument. Sure, Satch has some pretty cool techniques, but Vai pushes the potential of structure, modulation, and melody a lot further than Satch. I don't always understand him, I think, but I do appreciate him all the same.

So I agree with you that Satch may be the better songwriter for the general audience, but I consider Vai the more creative guitarist. They are obviously both creative, but perhaps Vai is more innovative -- his music seems to enter a universe all its own, which Satch doesn't always seem to do (in my opinion). I find it harder to predict where Vai is going next melodically, which is actually more enjoyable for me a lot of the time.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with as much of Vai's music as I am of Satch. *shrug*

They both rock, and I'd love to be able to even glimpse into what it's like to play or compose like them. To experience that for a moment would be great.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Personally I'd have to go with Satch on this one. Just my preference. I feel that Satch says more with his playing. I saw the G3 of him Vai and Petrucci and Satch slayed them both, imo. :irock:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Which is tastier, an apple or an orange. Who's a better composer, Beethoven or Mozart? Who's the better musician, Ritchie Blackmore or Jon Lord? I feel these kind of questions are very subjective. If anything, the best player is the one that connects most with his audience.

However, if we can get Satriani and Vai into the Octagon, winner by submission or knock-out, then maybe....

·
Classic Rock Revivalist
140 Posts
That's a really hard question...They are so much alike, and yet they're so different. Good grief...

·
Registered
130 Posts
ArizonaBlues said:
Which is tastier, an apple or an orange. Who's a better composer, Beethoven or Mozart? Who's the better musician, Ritchie Blackmore or Jon Lord? I feel these kind of questions are very subjective. If anything, the best player is the one that connects most with his audience.

However, if we can get Satriani and Vai into the Octagon, winner by submission or knock-out, then maybe....
I dislike Beethoven and Mozart. (But enjoy Satie, Chopin, Debussy, Schubert...)

Green apple or red apple? ;)

Connection is subjective, too, and so perhaps redundant after stating that the questions are subjective. Aren't we all merely projecting an opinion? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Paper Bag said:
Connection is subjective, too, and so perhaps redundant after stating that the questions are subjective. Aren't we all merely projecting an opinion? :)
Exactly, my friend.

Maybe if you had each guitarist play the same song with the same backup band and the same audience of people that never heard of either player, but then you would have to ask if the people who heard the song the second time are forming an opinion based on already having heard the song the first time.

Music shouldn't be a competition or a contest. I like Mark Farner even when most critics think he is a pile of (take your pick of something really bad and place it here). It is what it is.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are both VERY talented and have reached a stage where nothing is beyond their limits, I feel.

·
Melody maker
99 Posts
Technically I'd say Vai is more able across the board, but for me Joe's infinitely better melodically.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd agree, I think you can still hear Zappa's influence in Vai.

I have the G3 Denver DVD and on a technical standpoint, Malmsteen is faster and cleaner than both Satch and Vai. But as the jam session progressed it seemed Joe and Steve had a deeper bag of tricks to pull from with Joe pulling out some great melodies and Vai just some wacky "wtf" stuff while Mr. J. Malmsteen continued to play the same type lighting fast runs. Impressive and faster than most people I know, but a one trick pony after awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts

When Joe first came around in the 80's....Steve said " You think Im good, you should see this guy (Joe)" Joe clearly is technically and emotionally far superior over Vai, but hes cool enough to play what he feels and not trying to prove anything. But sorry ...i never seen vai play like this....i was one of the lucky people there and recorded this clip...No one can touch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuZq29zcHuo

and finally Joe made it on his own with surfing with the alien where steve made it basically by his run with David Lee Roth...but really nothing wrong with that ........ like previously stated its comparing apples and oranges....and i like both

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.