Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i'm having so much fun in my latest thread(Zakk wylde vs Kirk Hammett) I thought i would post another.I want u guyz to tell me who u think the greatest shreder.Personally i think it has to go to sum one like Yngwie(invented the game)or Micheal Angelo Batio(brought in to the next level),but then again in a way Eddie was the first.Ne wayz have fun there's no wrong answers except Kirk Hammet jk.

Shredding like a bitch
Squeal bus

·
kiss my axe
3,328 Posts
Squeal Bus said:
Since i'm having so much fun in my latest thread(Zakk wylde vs Kirk Hammett) I thought i would post another.I want u guyz to tell me who u think the greatest shreder.Personally i think it has to go to sum one like Yngwie(invented the game)or Micheal Angelo Batio(brought in to the next level),but then again in a way Eddie was the first.Ne wayz have fun there's no wrong answers except Kirk Hammet jk.

Shredding like a bitch
Squeal bus
omg here we go again :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But seriously

Do u have any one u would like to mention,don't worry i will not force my opinion down your throat :rock:

:bannana_g
Shredding like a bitch
Squeal bus

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Yea, Michael Angelo is a fuckin machine. I can't really say who I think the best shredder is, but I can list the two that have had the greatest impact on me.

George Lynch, and Steve Vai. Seeing Vai this year for the first time really was a great experience for me. I've been a fan of his for years, but to see him play in person was unreal. The guy is just sick, and still takes his craft very seriously.

George is my boy. He's my favorite after Eddie VH. This guy's tone is so damn ferocious, and of course he can shred like a mofo too. I don't listen to Dokken too much these days, so I stick to Wicked Sensation, REvolution and Lynch/Pilson. Three great albums right there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vai is my boy

And he is sick.Have u guyz heard these new shredders like Alexi laiho and Bucket head There pretty sick too :jam:

Shredding like a bitch
Squeal bus

·
Registered
211 Posts
Alexi Laiho shreds very well. However, sometimes his stuff just kind of starts to sound the same..and this is coming from a huge fan.

I love Steve Vai. He just makes some very odd noises with the guitar, but they sound awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya alot of alexi's solos start to sound the same after a while.
But i don't really consider vai to be a shredder,ya i no he can shred very well,but i find he's done to much to be a shredder.For example his whammy bar he's done alot for it and half the times it's even used in his melodies witch i think is a caracteristic alot of shredders don't have.He has alot of traits alot of shredders do not posess witch i think kinda sets him apart.

Shredding like a bitch
Squeal bus

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
:icon_roll Sigh....well yeah Malmsteen, Batio...blah blah blah. Those guys can shred but that sh*t gets so old. I love a blazing solo as much as the next guy but I would much rather hear a bluesy metal solo with feeling and bends, etc. than to listen to some guy play 1000 notes per second! It just bores me. Give me a Glenn Tipton solo any day over Malmsteen, Batio...or anyone like them.

I heard a Malmsteen cover of Aerosmith's Dream On and he totally butchered the solo with his usual mindless 100 mile an hour shred and it sounded rediculous.:lol:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to second the fact that Vai isn't a shredder. I don't know what the hell he is, well, he's like that Gozer dude from Ghostbusters, he's whatever he wants to be. He's evolved beyond the species of any mere mortal "shredder".

So, Vai aside. My vote goes for Jason Becker. Imho he is the only shredder i've ever heard that was really able to get much emotion of his shreddy bits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Eddie Van Halen started it and IMO with chops aside he is the best shredder. His tone and licks are just so damn good. He pioneered so much new gear as well. I mean he had such a huge influence on shred today than anyone else. Without him metal would be completely different today. I agree when people say Vai isn't a shredder. I'm not saying that's bad. He doesn't really fit into any genre. He's his genre. He uses the whammy bar like no one else and just breaks down barriers. That's why he's my favorite guitarist. With the combination of writing and chops IMO the best shredder is Jason Becker. I love his songs.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Id def say Jason Becker and Marty Friedman. Cacaphony was nuts man. Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker is pretty much the Ultimate Shred album, Shred with Structure and Taste. As well as Marty Friedman's Dragons Kiss. Pure Shred, BUT with Structure and very melodic. Michael Romeo is Awesome as well. I believe he's prob the best Shredder, BUT that shit all sounds the same, no vary in style, no build up, nothing. This is why I like Marty Friedman, and Jason Becker the most. Also Paul Gilbert, Vai, Vinnie Moore, Blues Sarasino or however you spell it. That dude is awesome.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.