Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am Charols,And i hear from all the other guitar players on this forum or other forums, but who are your guitar heroes? I'm 28 years old and i have played guitar almost 10 years. When I was first learning, it was Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani and Eddie Van Halen who really inspired me. And now i like steve vai very much,How about you,who is your guitar hero ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
hi there, im a guitar player, been playing for about 4 years; and my first inspiration was eric clapton, he had so much emotion in his playing that i loved it. now im into more hard rock and metal guys like george lynch, gary moore, etc. guys who are very technical but also have alot of soul

·
Another Broke Guitarist
2,040 Posts
mine would have to be Slash, and Vito Bratta.
Two contrasting styles I know.
Slash because he can play his style in just about any genre of music.
I have always been a fan of Vito's....

·
Classic Rock Revivalist
139 Posts
The man that's responsible for me picking up the guitar, and is still my favourite player bar none, is Brian May. True melodic genius. I gotta also give props to Clapton and Carlos Santana as well. Recently I've been getting into players like Paul Kossoff, Robert Randolph, Dave Gilmour, Robin Trower, and Steve Vai. The newest hero of mine is Roy Buchanan.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are too many to think of :tongue: . I think my most favorite guitarists are Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani. Then there is Andy Timmons, Marty Friedman, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, EVH, Hendrix, Page, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, etc. I cant get enough of all of them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello Charols, I got to see Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan with David Lee Roth many moons and he was pretty good, but not a little too much flash for me.

My guitar heros change from time to time. I went through a Ritche Blackmore phase back in the 70s, then Frank Marino, then to Michael Schenker, got into EVH finger tapping for a bit, then Randy Rhoads, Randy passed away then Yngwie Malmsteen, back to Michael Schenker and stayed with the Michael Schenker vibe for a long time until I went acoustic and then it was Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt and believe it or not, Paul Simon.

There have been others along the way and now it seems fair to say that they were all my guitar heros in one way or another.

Lately I've been on a big Robin Trower kick ever since I bought a Fender Strat and I've been collecting most of his stuff. On my way to work I listen to one thing and listen to something else by him on the way home. I was a big fan of his back in the 70s, but I seem to appreciate home more these days.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would say all of the above guitarists are awesome, My hero's would be in this order...John Petrucci, Phil Keaggy, Paul Gilbert, Don Ross and yesof course Mr. Steve Vai...and You can't forget Yngwie despite his ego

·
Registered
283 Posts
:bowdown: First and foremost it would be Slash, when I was learning the early stages of pentatonics he was a real inspiration, not least because the guy still sounded cool even when playing sloppily!
Then I guess it'd be Gilmour, Satriani, Zakk, hell even Noel Gallagher, (Probably frowned upon here?) Pagey, Angus, Iommi, all the usual suspects!:tu: :evil_laug

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can probably spot the age of the people who post by who they state is their inspiration. I know there are a ton of great guitar players out there that were inspired by guy like Chuck Berry when it comes to the subject of rock and roll. Any of them on this site?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My most most favorite guitarists would have to be Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Frank Zappa, and Chris Broderick. Also, John Petrucci is a F***in guitar wizard!

·
Registered
79 Posts
So many to choose from, it is SO hard. But it's a little like horses for courses

for me it's many of those mentioned i.e. John Petrucci , Paul Gilbert (Who I finally saw last week), Richie Kotzen, Alex Lifeson (earlier period), Vai etc

But, i'd also give special mention to Andy Timmons (awesome instrumentals, I prefer to Vai and Satch for this genre).

·
Registered
96 Posts
HENDRIX!!!!
I just love the way u can jam along with his songs all day long. Also that he was much more creative than a lot of the guitarists nowadays IMO.

Cant believe only one person so far has Hendrix as one of their guitar heroes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually, you're not the first. :)

For me it was originally Stevie Ray Vaughan who captured me musically. Before him I'd only been loosely interested in music, and mostly just listened to what my brother was listening to at the time. After he introduced me to SRV I finally saw what music could be, and what the guitar could do. My love for guitar and my interest in exploring music has continued since.

Now Eric Johnson is a recent fav. Django Reinhardt is another I've liked for a while. They are the main standouts but I am also a fan of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jimi Hendrix, George Benson, Albert King, Eric Clapton, Jeff Healey, and right now I'm introducing myself to the music of Albert Collins, who so far seems cool. I'm sure there are more. They are each heroes in different ways. SRV is always going to be the man for me, though, I'm sure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow tough question, well it was Randy Rhoads and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After fame that I mimicked the most when starting out, but before that, I air guitar'ed to Fastway Billy Squire and Iron Maiden ;)
I s'pose now, it's Vai, Morse, Mike Stern, Ol' Keif Ricahrds and whoever else I'm listening too at the moment. Hell, if you are making a living playing music I love to listen to, I guess that makes you a hero of mine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have to say it depends on who I am in the mood for-Old Van Halen, Satriani, Vai, Pettruci, Lynch,Yngwie, Bratta, Gilbert and lately Reb Beach. Some of the lesser known who are equally as impressive would be Richie Kotzen, Andy Timmons and John Jorgenson. My two all time favorites though are Eric Johnson and Steve Morse. In my humble opinion they posess something the others dont-incredible versatility. They can both play killer country, rock, acoustic, etc. Im not saying the aforementioned players arent capable of doing so and I deeply respect all of them, I would be thrilled to have a trace of their prowess on the instrument! I also think SRV was just incredible, I find playing his music interesting as its fairly easy hit the note; however matching his technique and tones are a different story! Peace and happy playing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm inspired by many great guitarist from the past and the present, but the reason I picked up guitar was because of Edward VH. It wasn't Eruption that got me. It was a beautiful guitar instrumental by Ed and his brother called Respect the Wind featured in the movie, Twister. I was about 9 years old and I remember staring at the credits in awe.
After my Eddie craze I discovered Vai and he was my second major influence.
Finally I discovered the Uber - musically talented band, Dream Theater. I am actually inspired by Jordan Rudess's keyboard playing just as much as Petrucci's fretwork. Very niiiiiice!!!!!

·
Banned
839 Posts
fuck that steve vai and his motherfucking chariple chaplin mouhitler mistache under his chicn, I say hellen mohteruccking keller!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts