Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I didn't know they did. :bannana_g

Ok, some do. Is it jealousy because shredders can fly around the fret board with the greatest of ease? Is it because they inspire the younger generation to do the same without a clue on how to incorporate melody into tune or the ability to play with a band? Is it because of the shredder's attitude that dictates if you don't warm up at 164 beats per minute, you suck? Is it Malmstreen's refusal to give up the Euro Mr. T look and age gracefully? Is it because they don't understand the genius of Jack White?

Na… it's because shredders get all the chicks… that's it. :hugglez:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say many blues player disrespect shredders because blues is strictly feel and shredding is about composition. Personally, I like players who are good technically and who have feel, like EVH and SRV.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I always assumed it was because Shredder was the baddie in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

However, it would appear that you are referring to these young chappies whose fingers fly around the fretboard cramming in as many notes as possible. I f so, then I for one would suggest that it's a case pf preferring quality over quantity (now ducks behind zimmer frame in vain attempt to hide from all the hoodies who are going to suggest that shredders have got quality)

Oldgit (now you understand the name!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know I don't.

I like stuff from Robert Johnson to Bugs Henderson to Randy Rhoads to Paul Gilbert.
I guess I'm not the person to answer this question, excapt to say that I never disliked any genre just "because" !!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do Blues players actually hate Shredders? That is a pretty bold thing to say.

I think that the original posters question is more of a hasty generalization:sssh:. However, I don't blame anybody for asking that, given the sheer amount of morons posting on guitar related videos on youtube.

The vast majority of real musicians I've been exposed to on this site and in the real world are fairly open-minded people that love all kinds of music regardless of the abundance, or sparsity of notes:biggthump.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Because most shredders dont have any feeling. Thats the reason.

The guitar is an expressive instrument. To most people playing a billion notes per bar is tiring on the ear to the listener. This leads most people to believe shredders dont play for the music they play to impress people.

Personally i dont hate shredders, I used to be one, now i play blues more often than not. Its just more musical to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess its because shredding is about showing off most of the time. Hitting a progression of finger patterns. Once you get them down, and can play them fast, its just a matter of looking cool when you do it. Its just a calculation of intervals and scales and timing. It can be written on a computer. But blues is purely expression. Everyone plays it differently.

I don't hate shredding, but I do get bored of it easily.

·
Registered
431 Posts
mostly I have heard its cos people think that shredders are all about speed and technique not feel.

Now somewhere in this with SOME people (not all), this is correct.
They play lots of notes and rip into a solo but it sounds very mechanical and not very melodic.
BUT there are also shredders who are very melodic (e.g. Bucketheads electric tears album)

Now SOME Blues/normal players think that the feel and melodic content are what make the song. Listen to people like BB King and David Gilmour as 2 examples of feel players.

There is an old saying that if you cant make 1 note mean something; how can 100 mean anything?

At the end of the day its all personal preference about your music tastes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think a lot of people have put up some really good points. Personally I don't think blues players hate shredders anymore than shredders hate blues players. I do know some blues "snobs" who literally think that blues is a better, smarter kind of music (it's not, it's different)... With that said, you don't have to like it, but respect the melodies of the good "shredders" and realize that melody is a huge part of music, and most blues songs are actually somewhat lacking in a key melody. I've had many music professors who, while they don't like shredders, or even much rock in general, still respect the skill and musicianship involved. I'll bet you they will highly praise a classical player, but playing classical is about discipline, much like "shredding"; highly the opposite of the blues. I've never understood some of the music "snobs" who hate shredders, but love some of the jazz fusion guys or classical/flamenco players.... it seems to be that they don't notice it's all rooted in the same place, sort of making the point they don't actually know as much as they think they do:brittish:

·
Classic Rock Revivalist
139 Posts
I think that's a far-fetched statement; To assume that all blues players hate shredders. I think there tends to be tension especially between the two groups, strictly when the players are purists. Purists which are a lot like fundamentalists in that they have this superiority complex that they are untouchable and that they have no equal. That is stupid. I'm a blues-rocker. There's things about some blues players that I don't like; maybe its that a lot of people are trying to copy one of the Vaughan brothers, or Buddy Guy, or B.B. King. And in the case of the shredders; you have players that play and write atonal music...which I abhor. I cannot stand atonal music; the other thing about the shredders is the imitators out of that group who copy Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman, Michael Angelo Batio, and Yngvie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blues players are usually watched by a mature audience sipping red wine

Shredders are rarely watched but those listening are dancing their nuts off

·
Registered
134 Posts
From my 20+ years of playing guitar, most blues purists look down upon most other forms of music outside of jazz. If you think I am incorrect, tell me the last interview where a blues guitarist sang the praises of a guitarist not affliliated with the blues. I have about 20 years worth of Guitar for the Practicing Musician, Guitar World, Guitar One, Guitar and Guitar Player and really cannot recall one time Clapton, SRV, Green, Cray, Collins, Guy, etc sang the praise of EVH, Randy Rhoads, Vai, Satch, etc.

At least I have read Beck and Gilmore give praise to EVH. I have read the same from Santana about Rhoads. Get a blues guy and forget it.

Shredders do the same to blues player to a degree but you will hear Satch, EVH and Lynch have given props to Clapton, King, SRV, etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I loath pseudo Jazz musicians. The guys who if a guitarist hits a power chord act like you might as well cut one on the elevator as the door closed. The guys who think because they play Jazz that all other forms of music belong in Oscar the Grouches dumpster. No offense to true Jazz musicians who have mastered the art and can cover the bases of other styles of music.

I had to play with another guy who was a “Jazz” player in a cover band (fundraiser event) and I got the full snobbery of “you’re just a rock player mentality.” The band decided to do a Van Halen song (Panama) and I let him have the solo. He butchered that thing like a hog at a Texas cook off. Missed notes, no feeling. The cat took off right after the show but the look on his face and he was struggling and eating crow… no last words needed.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
It's too general. Not all Blues Players hate shredders.
What puzzles me is that "shred has no feel concept" to many. Bach and mozart and Paganini played super fast, had composition, and feel.

If one tries to dare play fast on an electric guitar he or she gets flamed for "no feel".

There are shredders that lack feel and have no tone, as well as bluesplayers that are terrible.

The thing I dislike is when one says "that sucks" but cannot play it.
Usually it's jealousy.
Shredders do the same. They spend all the time working on their arps but can't write a decent simple ac/dc riff and make a good song, so they piss on the successful bands. :mwink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If they do it most likely is because the opinion out there is that most shredders are more concerned with top speed than with such things as phrasing, that said , I love fast guitar, but speed alone doesn't do it for me, now a player who can kick in the speed when needed and has great phrasing, now that is a deadly duo, George Lynch comes to mind

·
Registered
15 Posts
i agree with the theory that blues is about feel and emotion and not so much speed and shred is more about speed, technique and discipline and sometimes just how many notes you can squeeze in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts