Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
Hey everyone. I've been trying to like jazz for at least 6 years now. Maybe 1 out of 1,000 jazz songs ever make my hairs stand up on my neck.

I agree that guitarists like Joe Pass and Pat Martino were/are impressive, but is it just me or does the neurotic form sound like complete crap?

Okay, so jazz is "good," maybe even "the supreme music of the universe." Why do people like hearing it? There's something about the crazy off-time and complex melodies that make me want to hurl.

There, I said it.:thumb:
I also completely agree.

The only jazz i like is the older stuff from people like Wes Montgomery or Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" album. I also liked one particular collaboration between Paco de Lucia and John McLaughlin:rock: . I think that the really good stuff is in the large jazz ensembles. Last spring, i went to one at my university and was absolutely floored:rock: . I was pretty lucky because there was a famous saxophonist named Jeff Coffin who sat in and jammed:afro: which was friggin' awsome lol.

More obscure stuff like Allan Holdsworth or Frank Gambale is just something that i can't grasp or enjoy very much, though i have enormous respect for their musicianship.

·
Registered
285 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
I read that comment about Satriani. I've heard guitarists rip on him, "Oh he uses that one-hand crap." Well, because to him it sounds better. How would Surfing with the Alien sound all shredded out? What if he didn't apply those simple memorable melodies here and there? You'd have a bunch of cocky BS.:wiggle:
Yeah alot of the super tasteless shredders guys dont like him because he does alot of legato. One reason he said that he developed it is because he always imagined a bunch of sixteenth/32nd notes when people speed picked. I guess it was just unnatural for him.

Personally, i agree with him. Ive heard some guys (no name dropping lol) that are blistering with the alternate picking, but it is so fast and so overdriven that the sound of the pick attack almost begins to dominate the sound of the actual note(s).

With Wes Montgomery, you should just check some stuff out of him on youtube if you havent already. There is some cool live stuff and the guy looks like he's sittin' on top of the world when he's playing lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.