Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Try listening to keith jarrett's koln concert. Jazz for me works both as background music or intense listening. Jazz is romantic, its like a women - u may not understand it but as u mature it all fits together. Also check out tuck andreas, great guitarist.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So are you looking for jazz guitar stuff or jazz in general to make your hair stand on end? Like techno music, its a pretty wide spectrum to find the gems, especially coming from a guitar playing perspective.

I personally enjoy jazz as calming background music, so that endless easy groove and feeform chaos helps create a particular mood that I find great for sundays while reading the paper or painting. I was lucky to grow up under my fathers jazz influence - he's been collecting jazz since the 50's and that helped my appreciation. Have a candlelit romantic dinner planned? Are you honestly going to throw Allan Holdworth onto the CD? Put on some late night jazz like Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan, Nat Cole, Billie Holiday. Looking for some music while you study? Try the greats like Miles Davis 'kind of blue', John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakely, Dexter Gordon, Horace Silver, Cannonball Adderley (there are some super early Cannonball live recordings around) - they're timeless and there's a lot to discover in the music. Blue Note records is the stuff to dig. Best of blue note jazz would be some easy disks to score.

Jazz guitar has traditionally been a rhythm instrument, so the best jazz is usually fuelled by other lead instruments like sax. Most of the virtuoso lead guitarists end up in fusion which is IMO always the same at the end of the day, or are just playing rediculously fast all the time like Holdsworth and John Mcglaughin. I could also never get into Pat Metheny. I had him on a mixed chill jazz/folk CD and would always find myself listening to the windham hill groups and shadowfax tracks, which did make my hairs stand up despite being conservative. So maybe from a guitarists point of view there's a wildness missing from jazz guitar, many people have possibly tried to change that and its never really worked often in the mainstream. I just get bored with all the Al Dimeolo speed and percussion big brass weirdness. For me the best jazz is often the simplest, the most erotic or the right on funkiest.

Jazz sounds cool out of context - like jazzy breaks in early Black Sabbath songs (symton of the universe, supernaut etc) or someone like Sting's later albums where he uses haunting jazzy timbres.

I know Keith Jarret is not everyones cup of tea, definately an aquired taste, but his album 'the koln concert' recorded live in 1975 is still one of my fav albums that I can always come back to. Its just him and piano and he's one with that thing...slow to intense... its truly organic. He was ill during the concert and thought he played terrible but the soundman recorded it anyway and it went down as a legendary recording.

Billy Cobham - amazing drummer...Ive got a live DVD from the late 70's and their guitarist is killer given that time period. Lots of unkown and session guitarists in jazz unfortunately.

Herbie Hancock's best stuff for me is his groove period which is basically funk. Early Acid Jazz. One acid jazz band from the UK you have to check out is Corduroy. Their music rips and is fun.

About 12 years ago this jazz guitarist Barney Kessel came to my small hometown. His gig was practically unannounced, only on late night jazz radio (which only old quiet chaps like my dad listen to). He turns up at this little cafe looking like an eccentric history professor in a velvet shirt and brown jacket with patches on the elbows. He fumbled around for his guitar and borrowed fender twin and then started to play. Wow.Ive listened to him on record and its kinda homogenes. But live he did things with the guitar that would make Vai weep and all with old school tools. I guitar, 1 amp and some nice homely reverb. Barney had been a session musician and own recording artist with almost all the greats in american jazz and here he was in the middle of nowhere. The essence of Jazz is difficult to capture through an ipod. The crazy avart garde jazz is for philosphy and art students who wear berets. Id rather listen to crazy techno like Shpongle.

Different types of music obviously evoke different fantasies. When I listen to 60's rock like Hendrix or the doors I dream of going back and hanging with those guys and teaching Jimi how to play eruption or jamming the blues with Clapton. If I listen to CVH Im dreaming of being in a epic stadium late 70's after seeing the 1st screening of star wars with eddie's wizardry and Dave Lee Roth frisbying me a backstage pass. 80's music snapshots me to my childhood. Other forms of music might clearly suggest landscapes or relationships. For jazz I don't really ever dream of anything specific - its more of a cool background wallpaper or ambience and maybe to appreciate it requires listening to it in a different context to what you have for the last 6 years. Anyway what am I doing rambling - a few more names for ya

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.