Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
This has got to be one of the best Willie concerts I have heard. The sound is pretty good, Willie's guitar sound is really strong and the band is at the top of their game. Guests are Waylon Jennings, BB King, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson and some others.

I recorded this off of the radio back in 1984. It was also broadcast on HBO.

Lineage: FM Broadcast->Maxell Cassette tape->mp3 dub.

Playlist:
1. Intros
2. Whiskey River
3. Stay a Little Longer
4. Band Intros-If You're Got the Money Honey
5. Announcer Chat
6. Let the Good Times Roll (BB King)
7. Thrill is Gone (BB King)
8. Announcer Chat
9. Nightlife (BB & Willie)
10. I'm Not Lisa (Jessie Colter)
11. Storms Never Last (Waylon and Jessie)
12. America (Waylon)
13. Slippin & Slidin (Waylon)
14. Announcer Chat
15. Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys (Waylon & Willie)
16. Good Hearted Woman (Waylon & Willie)
17. Announcer Chat
18. Blue Skies
19. Georgia on my Mind
20. I Gotta Get Drunk
21. Instrumental and Happy New Year New York!
22. Georgia on the Fast Train
23. Forgiving You Is Easy
24. She Is Gone
25. I'm a Memory
26. Me & Paul
27. Blue Skies in the Rain
28. Announcer Chat
29. Stardust
30. Anger Flying too Close to the Ground
31. On the Road Again
32. Always on my Mind
33. City of New Orleans
34. To All the Girls I've Loved Before
35. Announcer Chat-Johnny Cash Intro
36. I Still Miss Someone (Cash & Willie)
37. The Eye of the Storm (Kris & Willie)
38. Will the Circle be Unbroken (all guests & Willie)
39. Amazing Grace (all)
40. New Years Countdown - Auld Lang Syne
41. Whiskey River Reprise

Sorry for the many pieces, but all songs are fully tagged and identified. This is my first time posting something. Tips are welcome!
Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j7k79w8nw5louxl/New_Years_Party_1.rar

Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6n0r88rnw9w38f/New_Years_Party_2.rar

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9cro3vc17c189r1/New_Years_Party_5.rar

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Looking forward to listening to this show ! But... I can't. The links you provided for parts 3 and 4 are the same links you used for part 2 !!! Can you provide those missing two links please ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I grabbed parts 3 and 4 and listening to the show now ! Thanks for posting !!

Now... two quick questions (followed by a few tips). 1) I noticed that the new links for all five files are different from your original post... did you have to repost all five of them to MediaFire ?? 2) Is the correct date for this show Dec 31, 1983... or is it Dec 31, 1984 ? You mentioned you recorded it in 1984, which would mean Dec 31, 1984.... but the title 'New Years Eve Party 1984' could mean Dec 31, 1983... which date is correct ?

Okay, now for the tips :

1) Don't be afraid to post the entire show as a single file (if MediaFire will accept the file size). Fewer files to download makes a little easier for us.

2) Regarding the way you named your files... you named them only with the song title (ex: Whiskey River.mp3). The proper way is like this (02 - Whiskey River.mp3). This way, the tracks play in the proper order !!

3) Always date your recordings like this "MMM, DD, YYYY" (ex: Dec 31, 1983). Some posters from Europe post their dates like this DD-MM-YY (ex: 06-02-70)... this raises potential issues for us in the USA... is it Jun 02, or is it Feb 06 ? See my point ?

4) If you know the venue and city, state, always include that too in your description.

I think about covers it.... I like that you put the ID tags in the MP3's... many people just leave that info blank, which requires me to take the time to populate it.

I'm a fan of Waylon Jennings... if you have some shows by him, please post a list here... I'm always looking for shows I don't yet have. And also any by Randy Travis (these are tough to track down for some odd reason), and Merle Haggard too !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This show is from the Summit in Houston and the correct date is 1984-12-31. I found a YouTube clip on one of the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCC5RxUjdnk
You are correct. It is Dec 31, 1984 at the Summit in Houston. They mention that a couple times during the show.

To answer Fan's question, I just deleted all of the files from Mediafire and reposted them, just in case I got something else wrong.

Thanks for the tips on posting and hope everyone enjoys the show. It is the best live Willie show I have heard. Let me know how you all like it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry about that. I could blame it on the computer and say copy/paste didn't work. But computers only do what we tell them to do. So, sorry for the inconvenience.
First of all, great post, thank you. Second of all, Media Fire has a tendency when it finishes uploading and you can "copy" the link, it will just retain the first one.... had that happen a few times myself.... just close that box and right click them and it'll work right...... its them, not you lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm a fan of Waylon Jennings... if you have some shows by him, please post a list here... I'm always looking for shows I don't yet have. And also any by Randy Travis (these are tough to track down for some odd reason), and Merle Haggard too !

Fan of EP ... if you still have my email, hit me up, might have something for ya.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just finished listening to it... you're right, it was a good show... with one big exception ! Kris Kristofferson... I laugh everytime I hear this guy... he's the worst singer I've ever heard... constantly off tune. How did he make it in the music industry ? Was it writing "Help Me Make It Through The Night" ? What is starring in "A Star Is Born" ?? Can't figure it out.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Thanks again for the upload. I'm really anal when it comes to dates and venues. Great sounding show. I burned it to CD so I can listen to it in the car as I travel for Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just finished listening to it... you're right, it was a good show... with one big exception ! Kris Kristofferson... I laugh everytime I hear this guy... he's the worst singer I've ever heard... constantly off tune. How did he make it in the music industry ? Was it writing "Help Me Make It Through The Night" ? What is starring in "A Star Is Born" ?? Can't figure it out.
You're right. KK is pretty bad. Not sure why Willie sings with him. Good writer yes, but could never sing well.

Thanks again for the upload. I'm really anal when it comes to dates and venues. Great sounding show. I burned it to CD so I can listen to it in the car as I travel for Thanksgiving.
Glad you guys are enjoying it. I love it. Willie's guitar is so in the foreground, especially from Blue Skies and on. I have listened to it for so many years. Nightlife is awesome with BB King.

·
Premium Member
2 Fender Telecasters. 2 Fender Stratocasters. Gibson acoustic. 77 Marshall halfstack, Fender combos
712 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts