Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbup: Hi all, long time since I've been on here.
Anyway, I now own a 'XtLive' and use it to gig with. (Use to have a Boss Gt5, bloody excellent bit of kit.)
I run direct to the desk and have it set accordingly.
The problem I have is 'cutting through' the mix, (We use backing tracks as we are a duo?) I've used sounds direct from Line6, or guitar port, and generally 'beefed' them up where required but I still find it hard to cut through at times.
I'm fairly sure this is mainly an EQ issue, and wondered if anyone out there has encountered similar problems, or if you have any kinda 'Generic' EQ setting I could use as a starting point.
I currently use only the virtual amp eq's, (Bass, Mid, Treble.) and try to run the desk eq 'Flat'. (I was wondering how effective the onboard graphic eq is, I've tried and up to now am not too impressed with it.)
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Incidentally, if anyone has had any problems with their 'Xt' I'd be very interested as mine has just come back from Line6 after a software fault. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
saulhudson said:
:thumbup: Hi all, long time since I've been on here.
Anyway, I now own a 'XtLive' and use it to gig with. (Use to have a Boss Gt5, bloody excellent bit of kit.)
I run direct to the desk and have it set accordingly.
The problem I have is 'cutting through' the mix, (We use backing tracks as we are a duo?) I've used sounds direct from Line6, or guitar port, and generally 'beefed' them up where required but I still find it hard to cut through at times.
I'm fairly sure this is mainly an EQ issue, and wondered if anyone out there has encountered similar problems, or if you have any kinda 'Generic' EQ setting I could use as a starting point.
I currently use only the virtual amp eq's, (Bass, Mid, Treble.) and try to run the desk eq 'Flat'. (I was wondering how effective the onboard graphic eq is, I've tried and up to now am not too impressed with it.)
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Incidentally, if anyone has had any problems with their 'Xt' I'd be very interested as mine has just come back from Line6 after a software fault. :crazy:

Have you tried EQing the BT? If not, try that. Create a hole for your guitar to sit in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks for that, I'd be better digging a hole for the singer to drop in, you wouldn't believe the hassle I have trying to 'educate' him around Eq!
He's a little like a computer, 'Ya have to punch information into him'.
He does tend to run Bass heavy, which obviously doesn't help at all! :mad:

·
Registered
327 Posts
saulhudson said:
Yeah thanks for that, I'd be better digging a hole for the singer to drop in, you wouldn't believe the hassle I have trying to 'educate' him around Eq!
He's a little like a computer, 'Ya have to punch information into him'.
He does tend to run Bass heavy, which obviously doesn't help at all! :mad:

I think I know what you mean, Ive heard Axl is a real pita to work with :D

sorry I had to do it :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you tried reducing the amount of "room" in the A.I.R. settings? This might create more "presence". Alternatively, you may want to go the other way and increase it and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Peace,

---------
Legato

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumb: Cheers, 'LegatoVibrato' that's a thought, I actually gigged the other night with it and after reducing the amount of bass and middle on the desk slightly it did actually cut through a lot better, I even actually had to turn the guitar down a couple of times! (SACRILEGE!!!) :rock:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was really worried after reading this thread. I have a podxt and a j-station. More than 2 years ago I tried the powered monitor thing. M-Audio and a cheap Behringer mixer. Sounded like crap and also direct to monitors as well. Behringer mixer was alright, although two channels failed after 3 days. Anyway, I had some spare coin and decided that I can try it again, but a hard disk recorder/mixer will have to wait until next year. I picked up a pair of Yamaha msp5's and a Yamaha MX8 from American Music supply. Total price was $665. All I can say is cutting thru is not a problem. I am using a small cd/dvd player to play the downloaded mp3's from here and other sites. Try the Tweed Deluxe/4x12 greenback 25 watt combo with a tubescreamer added. You will be heard!!!! 80's metal/Michael Schenker is really happening with this setup. I also can cop many flavors of blues ala Robben Ford/Steely Dan/Dumble, but let me know if you are interested in that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
line 6 stuff never has cut through. its not an eq problem its line 6 products. they can sound very good for recording (but not even close to a tube amp) but still many have got good sounds recording. if you really want an amp moddler, the best one at the moment is the boss gs10 they actully sound very good live as well. because unlike line 6 you can turn the amp models OFF and just use the fx. which blow away anything line 6 have ever done. my fav on the pod was the recto moddel .it was good for recording lead.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chris YMMV, if you turn off the amp models, what do you have? If you are going to the FOH, you can sound good. If you mean going into an amp, why bother with amp modeling at all. Just get a good amp and a few pedals. I have played a Vetta II, nothing Boss makes can even get close. It 's all opinion anyway and what works for me probably sounds like poo for others. If money were no object/recording contract, a few Cornford amps would be in my stable. Damm import fees :rant:

·
Registered
77 Posts
On the XTL, you can also dump the AMP and CAB settings, turning them off, and just utilizing the effects as well. I own the GT-8 (which is the floor model of the too processed GT-10) and XTL, and by far favor the XTL over the Boss. The AIR setting should do the trick. Tho live, I use my XTL in front of my Marshall on a clean channel, my settings have already been set on the XTL for good EQ, and I use several old favorites stomp boxes in my loop, including a Boss EQ for boost. Tho if there ever is a problem with cutting through due to stage size, room size, etc., it is nothing to reach down, give the mid bands a little nudge on the Boss EQ, and that does the trick. Hope this info helps a little.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bent-Halo said:
Chris YMMV, if you turn off the amp models, what do you have? If you are going to the FOH, you can sound good. If you mean going into an amp, why bother with amp modeling at all. Just get a good amp and a few pedals. I have played a Vetta II, nothing Boss makes can even get close. It 's all opinion anyway and what works for me probably sounds like poo for others. If money were no object/recording contract, a few Cornford amps would be in my stable. Damm import fees :rant:
ok first if you turn off the amp moddles what do u have? 50 stomp box pedals and 2 independant multi fx prossers. well the reason for turning amp mod off is because they dont sound good live, also do not confuse the gs10 with the gt 5...6...8...etc its different. and finaly tone is subjective .. one mans ideal tone is another mans peice of shit. i personly think the vetta is a horrid sounding amp it sounds way to thin if you compare it side by side with a tube amp the vetta will sound very silly indeed.. oh and thats if you could hear it.. but listen .. take what i say with a pinch of salt .. its just MY opinion to me im right.. and to you you may be right.. having said that i am right and you are wrong:sssh: (lol) peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts