Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you plan on buying a Seymour Duncan Hotrails single coil humbucker for your RI Fender Jag, make sure that it will fit in the single coil cavity before taking the whole guitar apart.

Now, I know what your thinking. Isn't the Hotrails supposed to fit a single coil strat. Well, I guess not. See, here's the problem.

The Hotrails is shaped (use your imagination and squint your eyes) like this |>

My Jag's pickup cavity is shaped like this | |

That equals no new pickup and lots of sadness for me :( I suppose it is partially my fault. The cavity on a Strat is shaped like the Hotrails, so it is a drop in Strat replacement, I didn't think they were so litteral when the said Strat... oh wel.

I know this was a very useless post, but I just had to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
733 Posts
are u saying it wont fit in the cavity in the wood? that can be fixed easy. just carve some of the wood out of the way. take knife and whittle it off till it fits. or sand it, or route it out. its going to be under the pickguard...no one will see the cuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MattM said:
are u saying it wont fit in the cavity in the wood? that can be fixed easy. just carve some of the wood out of the way. take knife and whittle it off till it fits. or sand it, or route it out. its going to be under the pickguard...no one will see the cuts.
I thought about that, the thing is also, the pickup hole in the pickguard is larger then the pickup it self. So you can inside the guitar as well. The Hotrail is an odd shaped pickup. I figure if I'm gonna cut out the wood, I might as well cut the whole thing and put some full sized humbuckers in it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
im looking at the jag now and i see what you mean. if you could get some full sized ones with 4 conductor wire that can split, that would give you some serious combinations with all the switches it has now.. :wtf: :jam:
of course if you can find a way to cut the wood under the pickguard without it being seen i would do that...would be less trouble than cutting holes for HBs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MattM said:
if you could get some full sized ones with 4 conductor wire that can split, that would give you some serious combinations with all the switches it has now.. :wtf: :jam:
HBs.
My plan is to use the bass strangle switch as the coil split switch. The thing is bright enough as it is. When the strangle is on, my ears bleed and dogs randomly pass out :sssh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts