Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Great site all.

I've just bought a Zakk Epiphone Bullseye & hoping you can help.

I've just managed to get the hang of pinch harmoncs, i'm only a beginner :smile:

They sound really cool when i have the pickup switch in the down position (lead pickup i think) but i put the switch in the middle (both pickups?) & they are pretty non-existant (for example 5th fret D string - just doesn't really do anything). Is this normal with the switch in this position?

I like the sound in this position but it's no good if i can't do the pinch harmonics.

Thanks all

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're going to lose a lot of Pinch ability when you are using/incorporating the neck P/U. That's just normal because of the position, the winding, etc...

What MAY help (depends on lots of things) is to use a "booster" like Zakk does. He uses the amp for his main OD/Distortion, then hits an OD pedal for lead work, which acts as a booster. I had one of the MXR Wylde OD pedals and used it that way, and it was very cool. The trick is to get the settings right so you don't just "mud out" your sound.

Some things that will really help bring out your pinch's are having reverb set higher, EQ'ing the higher end up a bit, higher output P/U's and enough OD/distortion.

Keep in mind, when you hear a "pro" do these on a recording, they were most likely doubled to really enhance it. Live, it's just the sheer volume that the amp is at that enhances the effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to lose a lot of Pinch ability when you are using/incorporating the neck P/U. That's just normal because of the position, the winding, etc...

What MAY help (depends on lots of things) is to use a "booster" like Zakk does. He uses the amp for his main OD/Distortion, then hits an OD pedal for lead work, which acts as a booster. I had one of the MXR Wylde OD pedals and used it that way, and it was very cool. The trick is to get the settings right so you don't just "mud out" your sound.

Some things that will really help bring out your pinch's are having reverb set higher, EQ'ing the higher end up a bit, higher output P/U's and enough OD/distortion.

Keep in mind, when you hear a "pro" do these on a recording, they were most likely doubled to really enhance it. Live, it's just the sheer volume that the amp is at that enhances the effect.
Great reply thanks mate.

I'll try it with my reverb higher & see what that's like.

I know i need a new amp. I've only got a crappy little SKAK20RA which is poor really.

I'd really like the Zakk sound, nice & meaty. Any idea an amp etc? I'll probably start a new thread on it as well to get people's ideas.

Much appreciated for your reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you really want a Zakk sound, there's only one way....he has taken a great amount of time stating that his rig is fairly simple. The bottom line is a Marshall (in his case, usually a JCM900) and one of the MXR pedals I mentioned earlier.

If you don't want a Marshall, there are some very good modelers out there. Line 6 has some nice stuff....Spider has built in effects and amp modeling or the POD's are cool. I own a POD XT Live (floor pedal board) and am real happy with the multitude of sounds I can get.

Keep in mind, if you go with a modeler and run it through amp X, the amp is going to "color" your sound, even set to a clean and neutral sound. The only way to match the sound you get from a modeler through headphones or direct into the board is to go with a power amp and a speaker cab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Zakk sets up his amps so they sound, without any effects or pedals turned on, like an Angus Young Highway to Hell tone. Crunchy, but still kinda clean. For all of his distorted stuff he uses the Wylde Overdrive, with the Gain and Output at 2 0'clock and the tone at 12 or 1 o'clock.

For clean stuff he clicks off the pedal and turns down the volume on his guitar.

He also has a chorus running at all times. I don't know what settings he uses on that.

All he has going on his amp is the pre-amp cranked to 11 and the master volume from 4-6. I don't know the EQ, and I don't think he uses reverb or anything like that.

He also uses a rotovibe on occasion, has the Wah kicked almost all the way forward, and sometimes uses an MXR EVH P90.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out that Marshall amp & also his Overdrive pedal. I'll be going gear shoping on Saturday so i'll test these out. Oh & also his wah pedal.

Great stuff. Much appreciated :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.