Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zakk Wylde on RollingStone\'s Top 100 Guitarists: \"Eddie Should Be Number One!!\"

ZAKK WYLDE Weighs In On ROLLING STONE's 'Top Guitarists' List - Jan. 9, 2004

OZZY OSBOURNE guitarist Zakk Wylde recently spoke to Sleaze Grinder about Rolling Stone magazine's much-criticized list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

"Put it this way," Wylde began. "When Eddie Van Halen is number 70 and Randy Rhoads is number 85, I mean, bottom line is I have to play Randy Rhoads' shit every night. I idolize Randy Rhoads. I still got posters of Randy Rhoads in my garage right now, in my weight room. I carry them on the bus. I love Randy Rhoads to death man, so I mean, the whole thing is just like, I've got to play Randy's shit every night. Last time I checked, Joan Jett can't play fucking 'Mr. Crowley', you know what I'm saying?

"You've got to laugh at the thing," Wylde continued. "I mean, Joe Satriani isn't in there. Steve Vai isn't in there. Yngwie Malmsteen isn't in that fucking list. Slash isn't in there. They are some of the sickest guitar players that have ever walked this planet. I mean, I'm a guitar player. Do you know how good fucking Yngwie is? It's beyond fucking sick. The fact that Yngwie isn't in it is just fucking mind-boggling to me. People can say what they want about Yngwie, but it's just like naming the 10 greatest singers of all time and not putting Pavarotti in it, you know what I'm saying? Yngwie is a virtuoso.

"Obviously Jimi Hendrix is going to be the patron son of guitar, like Babe Ruth. No matter who hits more home runs than The Babe, The Babe is going to be, you know, The Babe. But the thing is, Jimi Hendrix couldn't play 'Spanish Fly' or 'Eruption'. Technically. I'm telling you. Flat out. Just couldn't do it. Jimi got a bunch of gear that nobody ever had before, you know what I am saying? So, he was able to do it before anyone else, and I understand that, but Eddie brought it to a whole other level technically.

"As far as I'm concerned, Eddie Van Halen should be number one. And then Randy Rhoads would have to be in the top three or top five. He'd have to be."
Read more here...

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: Zakk Wylde on RollingStone\'s Top 100 Guitarists: \"Eddie Should Be Number One!!\"

Man, I can't get enough of Zakk. He's got a great attitude and tells it how it is not to mention he is a fantastic player. Good for him for speaking up about that fucked up list.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Re: Zakk Wylde on RollingStone\'s Top 100 Guitarists: \"Eddie Should Be Number One!!\"

Zakk is a hero of mine because of his no shit attitude. He says when he joined Ozzy in 1989, he was a boy. Nows he's a meat eating, beer guzzlin'200lb grizzly. He takes no prisoners and has WAILED since day one. The first time I heard Miracle Man, I had to stop the fucking car to hear the solo-it was so tight playing wise, it was like a fuckin' sequencer was playing it. I'm not a huge Ozzy fan but his guitarists have always stood out...Jake E Lee was a great player as well and Randy was light years ahead. Incidentally, has anybody heard Zakk's solo on the live Ozzy video? He does 'Eruption'! Top player...

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts

I've posted the full list in The Lounge. Figured it's social as well as guitar and we should see it. Hope you don't mind but it's a good thread!

G

·

Zakk is awesome for saying tha about eddie and randy rhodes.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts

I think in the same lines as Zakk.
Hurts me to see how close Joan Jett is from Ed. Simply ridiculous.

I'm almost surprised they didn't put Mick Mars or C.C. Deville before Ed (don't get me started)...

As always Zakk speak of integrity and sticking to your guns. I feel a lot of us can relate... Let's leave it there, and let Rolling Stone cater to the ignorant masses who are fed dung all day by MTV and FOX News to name only a few.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Basically.. by this list..it's a popularity contest...definitely, not by one's guitar skills, musicianship...Horrible list....From what I can see, they based this list on the artist's album sales....Whoever did this , does not know anything about guitar...he/she probably does not know what a guitar looks like....

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Thats cool as hell, that Zakk said that. It seems that you cant fool him. I'm glad someone big in the music world, had enough guts to say that.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Rolling Stone is a rag anyways.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I can't think of one player that has influenced guitarists more than King Edward. He changed the way we play guitar and the guitars that we play. I agree with Zakk, Eddie is number 1!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts

Zakk Wylde =

Zakk & EVH = all must

·
Registered
331 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
dbmaster said:
Rolling Stone is a rag anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rag has been and always will be total, corporate-sponsored shill and propaganda for the RIAA and the whole corrupt record indusry.
It's amazing anyone still reads or heeds anything from it.

My take on it is that RS is so corporate-backed, if everyone stopped buying that rag today it would still be seen forcefully merched on the bookstore shelves next month just as Pravda was back in the ol' U.S.S.R..

And as if the lame music "articles" inside it aren't bad enough
all their nude/semi-nude issues are just a whitewash to "cover-up" the fact it's such a terrible magazine and perverts buy it merely for the naked celeb on the cover.

I wouldn't use RS to wipe me-self if there were no TP left on earth.

·
Banned
488 Posts

EVH at the top of the list? are u kidding! LMAO Michael Romeo from Symphony X destroys EVH. there is so many guitarists that aint on that list that are better then any of them. Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Emmpu from Nightwish, Olaf from Labyrinth, Michael Angelo, Vinnie Moore, Chris Impellitteri, George Bellas etc etc etc

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

You have to be kidding me man. EVH is one of the greatest song writers in the history of music. Forget just rock and roll. The guy is one of the best song writers and guitar players EVER. No disrespect to those guys you listed, but in my book there's only Eddie and Jimi. Everybody else is great in their own right, but nothing like those too. And nobody can take away from all the accomplishments and innovations these gentlemen brought to the table.

·
Banned
488 Posts

Dude Becker was only 18 when he wrote his stuff for 1.....check out Marty Friedmans solo albums Scences, and Introduction.....thats Real song writing and Real composing

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I dig Marty, and Music For Speeding is a good album as well, but he's no EVH. You have to conisder everything that EVH has done for music in general. It's not all about the playing. The guy's innovations alone make him number one in my book.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

By the way, do you think there would have been a Jason Becker or Marty Friedman without Eddie Van Halen being the pioneer first? I really dont think so. You can clearly hear an EVH influence in both of their styles, and I've heard Marty sing praises about Ed. So take all that into account when you're speaking of Ed. If there's no Ed, then alot of guitar hero's might be working at Burger King today.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
eternal said:
EVH at the top of the list? are u kidding! LMAO Michael Romeo from Symphony X destroys EVH. there is so many guitarists that aint on that list that are better then any of them. Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Emmpu from Nightwish, Olaf from Labyrinth, Michael Angelo, Vinnie Moore, Chris Impellitteri, George Bellas etc etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh.. Masters of the never ending scale at Mach II. No doubt these are great players but most of the ones you mentioned play with the stale feel of a rice cake.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts